Author Topic: Outer CV boot renewal  (Read 3615 times)

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Outer CV boot renewal
« on: 12 June 2012, 02:18:12 PM »
Never had to do this before but mine's merrily oozing grease out and the MOT approaches...

Any tips/guidance? I've got a set of CV pliers and circlip pliers, the right size driveshaft socket and a long breaker bar.

How much do I have to remove to do the outer one?

Is one of those slide over boot kits worth it or is it relatively easy to separate the end of the shaft from the universal joint?

Paul @ Kippen

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Outer CV boot renewal
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2012, 09:40:55 AM »
Phoenix,

Never tried a stretchy boot but I've heard that they are pretty good.  You just need a degree of faith that they will stretch far enough.   Split boots - only in an emergency - it does exactly what it says on the tin - splits.

Any time I've done a CV joint it's been a real pig getting the circlip out.  I've tried all sorts of maneouvers but generally resort to destroying the old circlip getting it out.

Biggest problem I've found is the fact that the stub axle through the wheel bearing is REALLY tight.  It has been flooded with adhesive on assembly.  You need to disconnect the bottom ball joint so that you can release the inner spider joint, then re-attach the ball joint again so that you have something to purchase against.  Now get a really BIG hammer and a good solid drift to knock it out.  Even once it starts to move you might find that it needs hammering all the way out.

Now clean out all the remaining adhesive from the splines, on the stub axle and in the hub.  I used a small needle file and just picked away at it.  You might need to dress the end of the threads where you hit it to get past the first damaged thread.

Cut off the remains of the old boot, clean out as much of the old grease as you can but don't wash out with parafin, petrol of the like.  Not unless you feel up to stripping the balls out and dismantling the whole joint.  Boy is it fun puting it back together again !

Pack with new grease from the CV joint boot kit and slip the new boot over the inner shaft.   Fit a new circlip and reinsert the shaft into the joint.  You should feel a positive 'click' as the circlip snaps into the land on the shaft.  Boot back in place with new cable ties.  ( I've never had much luck with the fancy metal clips they supply.)

Now, with some luck, the splines slide back into the hub without too much persuasion.  You'll not get the centre nut tightened until everything else is reassembled and the wheel is back on the ground.  I seem to remember that it requires about 300 Nm torque but best to check.  I managed to borrow a suitable torque wrench to do the job.  But I guess 14 stones on the end of a 2 foot bar won't be too far off.

Paul @ Kippen.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2012, 10:29:14 AM »
I seem to remember that it requires about 300 Nm torque but best to check.  I managed to borrow a suitable torque wrench to do the job.  But I guess 14 stones on the end of a 2 foot bar won't be too far off.

(Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not an expert on this stuff! and if your nuts fall off after taking my advice then I'd suggest you are more careful when you play with them)  ;D

Anyway, 14 stone is 196lb so, this would mean that 196lb per foot, on a 2 foot bar that would be 2 x 196lb so 400lb ft, according to the calculator I just used 300Nm is 221lb ft.... so you'd be a fair bit tighter than you want! (this bit I'm not 100% certain if the calculation is linear like that) now, 16 stone on a 1ft bar... or 10.5 stone on a 18" bar would be more like it.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2012, 10:48:36 AM »

Anyway, 14 stone is 196lb so, this would mean that 196lb per foot, on a 2 foot bar that would be 2 x 196lb so 400lb ft, according to the calculator I just used 300Nm is 221lb ft.... so you'd be a fair bit tighter than you want! (this bit I'm not 100% certain if the calculation is linear like that) now, 16 stone on a 1ft bar... or 10.5 stone on a 18" bar would be more like it.

Only if you are gentle!  If you step on it and bounce, you will double the torque.....  :)

If everything is the same, you could mark the nut and the spindle with a punch before you undo it, and align the marks on doing it up.  You shouldn't be too far out then.  As long as you have a single start thread.....
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2012, 09:36:01 PM »
Did it today.

Had just the boot and no cone so opted for removing the entire driveshaft. That was quite painless. Couldn't get the outer UJ off the shaft though despite releasing clip. Took the tripod joint off with a puller and did it that way.

Reasonably painless in the end, just very messy.

Had an ample supply of molly grease in the garage to repackage the inner...