Author Topic: EGR valve and DPF  (Read 4107 times)

Mr Linear

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
EGR valve and DPF
« on: 03 May 2012, 03:53:13 PM »
No problems to report as yet, but if they do I was considering blanking the EGR on our '08 Tid 150 with the modified 9mm drilled gasket.

Ihave read that this should not be done if the car has a DPF (I think ours does), also have read that blanking may cause problems with reduced turbo life.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Mr L.

Petemate

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
Re: EGR valve and DPF
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2012, 06:37:22 PM »
MMMmmm. Plenty of chat over in the Vauxhall (& Fiat & Alfa) forums on this, and some have reported probs with DPF, but I suspect it is mainly the short journey cars. Personally I have not experienced any problems; last year I took the EGR to bits and gave it a clean. There was not much soot in there, and the solenoid was completely free, so I didn't have to drill a hole in the body and punch out the solenoid to free it off. (they can corrode which rather prevents the capability of a nice electronic operation.......)
Juat before the MOT a few weeks ago, I had a look in there and it is still squeaky clean.
My 2 pennorth, please interpret as "if it aint broke, don't fix it"
Pete

Alan

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2012, 01:15:09 AM »
I wouldn't bother with the blanking plate. As long as you only use oil to the Dexos 2 spec ( ie Mobil 1 ESP not the Mobil 1 to the old GM-LL-B-025 spec ) and give it regular runs with 2000 rpm for 10 or 15 minutes the DPF will not be a problem.
Mine is coming up to 60,000 with no EGR or DPF problems and I know a few with GM cars with the same engine that have done over 100,000 with no problems ( and one that only did short city runs and needed a new DPF after 35,000 miles ).
As Petemate says "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

Alan

Mr Linear

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2012, 08:38:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Hopefully there will be no problems, but as the car is only doing shortish trips I expect to see the light on at some stage!!

Cheers.

Mr L.