Workshop for current Saab models > New Saab 9-5 (2010 on)

9-5 NG Rescue project

(1/17) > >>

carrera:
At least I hope it's a rescue, rather than a breaker

Just picked up a manual Aero TTid XWD. You can see that it has a panoramic roof, very good spec and low mileage too. Major problem is that that a driveshaft has popped out, because the subframe has failed.

Getting a subframe may be a challenge, so I see options as follows:

* New subframe - not possible as there are none on the shelf in Sweden anymore, delisted

* Second hand XWD subframe - probably preferred option
* Second hand 2WD subframe - perhaps possible, make one good XWD out of the two

* Repair the subframe using a decent welding / engineering shop
Any additional thoughts / suggestions appreciated

Today I removed the driveshaft I will hopefully effect some sort of temporary repair to make the car moveable without involving dollies or the wheel hitting the rear of the wheelarch

I don't think this subframe meets the MOT advisory of "Sub Frame corroded, but not seriously weakened"

Time for some photos

phoenix:
Wow. That level of corrosion on a relatively young car is quite worrying.

I wonder would an Insignia subframe have at least the same mounting points so you could chop out the bad bit and substitute it.

carrera:

--- Quote from: phoenix on 10 February 2024, 12:42:48 PM ---Wow. That level of corrosion on a relatively young car is quite worrying.

I wonder would an Insignia subframe have at least the same mounting points so you could chop out the bad bit and substitute it.

--- End quote ---

Excellent idea, and the Insignia also has a AWD model,  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The body/chassis is in pretty good condition, some rust starting, but pretty clean. There was an advisory on the rear subframe as well, but that doesn't look anywhere near as bad. The protective shields for the fuel tank are quite well deteriorated, but no worse than a 38k car I looked at locally. From the condition of the subframe I would say it looks like a Scottish car, but the registration is Worcestershire I believe

Geoff1951:
As phoenix says, wow.
The MOT history is interesting.  All background stuff, but does the (any) service history show where it's been?  You can also check the MOT station locations on gov.uk if you've got the V5C.

carrera:
There's a good bit of history with the car, lots of work done with South Wales Saab Centre, (by the original owner who passed it on in the family, so I'm the third owner) but to be honest I haven't had the chance to study it yet.

One of the MOT's says that the subframe couldn't be inspected due to the presence of plastic covers

Well, that's certainly true, they are off now, it's a bit of a shocker

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version