Author Topic: aftermarket performance air filter ? any good or waste of time  (Read 3278 times)

ade wilkins

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
i'm in the process of having my 9-5 overhauled and going for an Abbott upgrade this time, my question is this.... upto around 270/290 bhp is the standard air filter good enough or do i really need a performance type ? in the past, as a young lad, it was always the done thing to whack a big filter on and drill holes in the exhaust and so on, but is it worth it ?
SAAB is a SAAB, wether it be a GM, Lancia/Fiat or a V4 with a Ford Taunus engine in it, SAAB.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: aftermarket performance air filter ? any good or waste of time
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2018, 10:43:55 AM »
Saab use the standard filter on the 260hp 9-5 Aero.

Hirsch fit a slightly bigger filter in a similar air box when they go to 300 hp.  But their work is sometimes a bit over the top.  The tunes need to work in all markets the car was sold, including hot and dusty parts of the world.

However, Karl at Noobtune did some back to back testing and reckons that a better flowing filter will give some small gains.  You might want to consider one of his tunes. www.noobtune.co.uk Abbott are not noted for their work on the tuning if the later engines.  Their hardware is fine though.

A bigger air filter should be fitted, and shielded if necessary, to prevent it drawing in hot air from the engine compartment. Otherwise some of the cooling effort of the intercooler will be lost.  But this only seems to be a problem in congested areas with traffic jams.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

ade wilkins

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2018, 06:42:15 PM »
yeah i did here that about the remaps, but its having a turbo and exhaust and some other bits done while its in for some bodywork so it will initially be tuned by them, karl will be my next stop after returning home with it, i will go easy on the way home will ;) thanks for the input, may well look into a foam filter in the standard housing. always gone aftermarket on the og93's ive owned , just wondered if the 9-5 was a different kettle of fish with the air filter housing and cold air feed being slightly different
« Last Edit: 01 August 2018, 06:01:16 AM by ade wilkins »
SAAB is a SAAB, wether it be a GM, Lancia/Fiat or a V4 with a Ford Taunus engine in it, SAAB.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2018, 10:19:22 AM »
When Abbotts took my 54 reg Aero up to 300hp it was still running on the standard filter and I never had any issues. Only thing was I felt (and some others have said the same) that the Abbott upgrade was quite aggressive compared to Hirsch. Hirsch was smooth build up of power where as Abbott was a hit you all in one go type; end results were the same on speed etc but you had to be careful when overtaking that you didn't press the loud pedal too soon or you'd take out the car in front - bit of an elastic band situation!!

ade wilkins

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2018, 11:18:55 PM »
thats kinda what i heard about the map, still, will be good to have a play, just make sure the road in front of me is deserted :)

ade wilkins

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2018, 01:07:28 PM »
haven't got the car back yet because it isn't ready, but have ordered a pipercross element and the later intake feed pipe that goes from the grille to the air filterbox, will also have an abbott intake pipe, this should feed the air system a bit better