Author Topic: '89 Vert Alarm - Recommendations Please  (Read 5494 times)

SteveI

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
'89 Vert Alarm - Recommendations Please
« on: 14 April 2012, 09:11:52 PM »
After 12 months off the road for a bit of a tidy up I'll be putting my '89 T16S Vert back into daily use - but while laid up the alarm system has croaked it! (after market basic alarm so not lamenting its demise).

Has anyone fitted or had fitted recently an alarm system suitable for an oldish convertible and with suitable level of protection to appease the insurance companies?

I'm thinking of getting one fitted proffesionally rather than do it myself in order to get some certification / proof of the the standard / catogory of the alarm I can fax / email to the insurance co.

Suggestions guidance greatfully recieved.

SteveI

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Re: '89 Vert Alarm - Recommendations Please
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
As a reliable brand, I know that Clifford alarms used to be pretty reliable.

I couldn't decide if they had anything suitable for a convertible though - I imagine there will be

http://www.clifford.co.uk/

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2012, 10:41:48 AM »
You need a Thatcham approved alarm- category 1 will give you both immobilisation and an alarm. For a convertible, you want microwave motion detectors, not the regular ultrasonic. These can be fine tuned such that you can leave the hood down but if anyone puts their hand inside, it will trigger the alarm.

For insurers to recognise it, they often want it fitted by an approved installer, who will also be able to give you a certificate to say it's a pukka installation. Expect to pay around £300-£350 for a system that will also give you remote lock/unlock. You may need to add a solenoid to the driver’s door for this- use one either from another 900 or a 9000. You will want the one with microswitch in.

It might be worth checking just how much of a discount you will get for having a Cat 1 alarm. If you're handy with car wiring you could do it yourself for under £200. I've used and can recommend Cobra systems and there's also Meta.

It is possible to buy a Cat 1 alarm and fit it yourself, but you don't get the certificate. Some insurers are fussy about this, others not.

SteveI

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2012, 01:37:19 PM »
Thanks I'll look at the Cobra option .. anyone here in the alarm business and in the west country?

SteveI

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2012, 09:36:18 AM »
Went with a Sigma S30 with dual zone sensors for inside and around the car, tilt/tembler & dual circuit immobiliser that keeps catching me out (not read the manual yet to adjust the delay time for the cut off while not setting the actual alarm) .. but well pleased for £350 fitted. ...Excellent job from Automotive Control in Avonmouth.