Author Topic: What I Did To My Saab Today.  (Read 290696 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: What I Did To My Saab Today.
« Reply #180 on: 10 November 2014, 07:48:54 PM »
How odd - I spoke with them only today and they've got two in stock for me which arrived yesterday. Genuine Saab gravity sensors - one front and one back.

Sure, but they may be the kind of part that gets ordered on demand, so the factory only makes them when there are enough back orders and that may be in batches of 1000, some suppliers got hurt when Saab went under and didn't get paid so they are suspicious of building up large inventory that they may not get paid for.

Now then this part is numbered 12762509 which appears to be the main part of the lamp that all else fits and costs around £90. The EPC shows lots of bits around it like bulbs, connectors, screws etc but not the 'venus fly trap' as I call it of the pins/lugs so is that in this piece????? Both I and main dealer don't know how to find out unless we get one in but that means paying for something that won't necessarily work??? Dilemma £700 new lamp or try this part and hope!!!!!

Has anyone ever seen this on it's own??

Check this picture out, it's for the same part but from the other side but from the look of it I think you're out of luck. https://www.saabpartsdepot.com/body-1/headlamp-housing-12762508-9-5.html I did go through the rest of the catalogue as many of the parts are hidden in there but couldn't see anything likely.

What I would suggest is posting a picture of the exact part you need or looking on ebay with the search term "xenon holder" as there are dozens available for different cars (some say Saab) and hopefully one will be the same as Saab used which given they are standard bulbs and Valeo lights may work out.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 13 November 2014, 02:33:55 PM »
Fitted a new set of Bosch Aerotwin wipers to the 9-5. The old ones were at least 3 years old. Bonus ball for remembering to do it at lunchtime in the light & dry rather than when I get back to the car this evening and it will be at least dark, if not wet as well.

Very cheap from this store on eBay, and turned up next day:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ACP-All-Car-Parts

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #182 on: 13 November 2014, 02:49:18 PM »
Searching that site is almost impossible!  If I put my car in the genral search it comes up with zero items.  If I search on "aerotwin" the short description doesn't include the size.....  ::)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 13 November 2014, 05:13:29 PM »
Oops!

You're not wrong; I just copied the link to their shop  :-[

A model search won't work because 24" is slightly oversize- they don't do a 23" Aerotwin. Anyway, here's a link to the item:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361082445998?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 13 November 2014, 08:01:35 PM »
Thanks, I've noted it.  I got some flat wipers from www.wiperblades.co.uk  They are Lucas brand.  They don't quite fit. They clip on and they work, but the plastic lid that clips down on top afterwards won't go stay shut.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 20 November 2014, 08:51:28 PM »
160k today.

Things that have gone wrong or been done since 150k have been the ACC recirculation motor and link arm (repairing this on Saturday), a new set of wiper blades all around, 2 tyres shredded and replaced and 2 puncture repairs, 1 aircon refill, some vacuum hoses replaced, a new pcv valve, headlamp repair/clean up due to fogging on the plastics, crankshaft oil seal replaced and a leaking auto box cooler pipe replaced and some servicing.

« Last Edit: 20 November 2014, 08:58:15 PM by Audax »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 06 December 2014, 09:59:43 PM »
Fitted the winter tyres to the Carlsson yesterday, then at around 11 pm realised that I hadn't added the antifreeze stuff to the washer bottle in either car.  Couldn't find it, went to Tesco and bought enough (I hope) of their cheap stuff to make a difference.

Then today I went out in her car in the frost and ice.  Got home and my car was still covered in frost.  i checked it over and found that the frost must be a mirage....  must be, because the outside temperature, according to the SID, was 13˚C.

New sensor ordered.  A day of lying on the ground trying to fix it next week, then.

Then Tyrepal told me that one of my tyres had a puncture.  :(

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 07 December 2014, 11:48:07 AM »
I went to check all the levels yesterday having had a low coolant warning in the week, the car has been using a few hundred ml of coolant every few thousand miles which I just attributed to hose degradation and old age as there was no obvious leakage. I stuck 300ml of fluid in again and checked the heater bypass valve carefully as it looked like there might be some water staining around it and then ordered a replacement from Cambridge Saab online thinking this was the problem. I then started to have a further look around and noticed the red staining on top of the aircon compressor, looks like new water pump time, I was going to drive it over to Leelac who are just down the road from me to see that actually they've moved to Stevenage and are now significantly further away.

I'll have to call Dawid in the morning I guess, typically this is the first week I need the car in about 2 months.  ::)

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 07 December 2014, 07:41:22 PM »
Yes, my waterpump started weeping at ~160k.

Done a few bits today/yesterday

- found the auxilliary servo pipe had become detached from the pump (auto). Stuffed backed in securely with an o ring (red plastic retainer had broken)
- found a broken end on the PCV check valve nearest the throtle body. Replaced hose with silicon and ordered new valve

I can still hear what appears to be an air leak around the TB but hopelly the fixes will sort

a) the rotten fuel economy
b) poor brake perfomance when it's just started

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 09 December 2014, 03:18:37 PM »
I have swapped back on to the winter wheels, the new heater bypass valve turned up so I will be taking that with me tomorrow to get fitted when the water pump (or pipework) gets attention tomorrow.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 10 December 2014, 05:52:19 PM »
New water pump fitted today by Leelac Saab, £132 including all parts, fluids and vat :)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 11 December 2014, 08:31:43 PM »
Probably Saturday when I fit the temp sensor.  Had a quick look today.

As I'm finding more and more, the WIS for the Dame Edna looks wrong.  The sensor looks as if it is in the o/s lower grille alongside the foglight. Not where it's shown in WIS. And the one I have delivered looks rigt, but isn't the same as WIS.....  I will find out in a day or so.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 11 December 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
As I'm finding more and more, the WIS for the Dame Edna looks wrong.  The sensor looks as if it is in the o/s lower grille alongside the foglight. Not where it's shown in WIS. And the one I have delivered looks rigt, but isn't the same as WIS.....

WIS has always been full of inaccuracies and lies ;) Looks like the outside temp sensor has stayed the same throughout the life of the 9-5, same part as many Vauxhalls (surprise!), maybe it lives somewhere slightly different on lhd cars which is a common WIS problem where they didn't bother to change diagrams or translations when the steering wheel moved to the other side!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 12 December 2014, 04:00:48 PM »
Managed to do the sensor swap today between the showers.  WIS says "Remove the spoiler".  So I took of the undertray.  But not enough access.  So I dropped the bumper shell as well. Then it was fairly easy.  I don't think that the undertray really need to come off. 

Anyway, here's the photos...

And the before, during and after.  Note that when disconnected, the SID gives a null reading.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 14 December 2014, 08:57:24 PM »
Today I cleaned all the insides of the windows and did the annual cleaning/conditioning of the door seals with Gummi Pflege. I also found a couple of cr1632 batteries in the glove box which was handy as one of the keys had recently started complaining about low key battery so I replaced them too. I then also had to buy a new key back as the flipping thing broke when I was doing the swap. ::) On top of that I did a light check and found a number plate bulb was out so put in a spare and ordered a new one to put in the bulb kit.