Author Topic: Alarm going off  (Read 12855 times)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
Alarm going off
« on: 25 April 2016, 10:59:01 AM »
 >:(

As the subject says - alarm going off.

This happened about a two weeks ago for the first time. Car parked in drive normal day no adverse weather and suddenly heard horn and siren going off. Odd I thought but switched it off and re-armed with remote. Half hour later did the same again so opened shut all doors and bonnet and checked windows. Re-armed all was well.......................

Saturday I was at Game & Country Fair all day and got back to car and SID said alarm had been triggered??? Now we had some pretty bad weather - wind, rain, sun and hail storms so can only assume one of those did it. Got home locked car as normal and fine then yesterday afternoon during hail storm off it went!!!! Arghhhhh - and we live in a very very quiet place. UNlocked car and left it and had a look through manual and set alarm to doors. Got out and locked with fob (about 6 pm) and then at 8.30 siren and horn blasting away but why both when tilt sensor etc had been cancelled - needless to say car was unlocked all night as I cannot find a hole for the key to go in on drivers doors to manually lock it.................

Do these have the same issue as the 9-5 with the alarm or is this just super sensitive. This is first time alarm has gone off like this since buying car in Dec. Could it be something in this area causing electrical interference or what?????

Any ideas chaps please gratefully received

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Alarm going off
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2016, 11:20:44 AM »
Hail will set off the glass break sensor.  So going off in a hailstorm is normal.

The keyhole on the 9-3 is only on the passenger door.  It's the driver's door in Europe, so GM cost cutting I suppose.  Just don't park with the passenger door against a wall, if you need to get in using the key.

If you do use the key after locking on remote, the alarm will go off.  Silence it by putting the key in the ignition.  Once the immobiliser recognises it, it will stop sounding.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2016, 11:25:15 AM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2016, 11:23:57 AM »
I'm not near my laptop with the manual on it at the moment.  But I think all the sensors are in the roof console on the 9-3.

Siren was an option. Horn alarm was standard.  Siren is in the boot somewhere, right hand side in the saloon, if you have one.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2016, 12:44:54 PM »
Thanks Will

Mine is a MY2009 Aero estate TTiD.

I just wondered if this was a common problem as weather was fine last night when it went off?

As long as it's not like the 9-5 issue??????

Thanks

James

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2016, 02:46:16 PM »
Back home.  Had a quick look at the siren info.  Unlike the 9-5, it says that the siren has rechargeable batteries.  So they should not go flat and cause the alarm problem that occurs on the 9-5.

Also, if your SID says "Alarm triggered" I don't think that it would be a fault in the siren that is causing it.  The 9-5, for instance, says "Service Theft Alarm" when the battery goes flat.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2016, 02:49:38 PM »
Any chance it's item 7 causing it to go off?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2016, 02:56:43 PM »
Have a read of the general description in the attached pdf...

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2016, 03:06:45 PM »
And this attachment is a list of all possible SID messages...

Although it doesn't list the one I have seen from time to time, you have reported "Alarm triggered since last set" or something similar.  But it does include "Alarm Error" as one.

So I think something is triggering the alarm, if not genuine, then a sensor fault?
« Last Edit: 25 April 2016, 03:11:40 PM by sgould »

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2016, 06:44:58 PM »
I think it will need to be diagnosed with Tech-II to find the most recent alarm activation reasons.

smurkenstein

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2016, 08:17:59 PM »
Perhaps its the old slow-seat-belt-retract  issue - easily checked....

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2016, 09:05:33 AM »
Now that's a good call as my drivers belt doesn't always retract straightaway and tat could make sense.

Has this been discussed somewhere before?????

Anyway now off to get front tyres swapped; these Falken are too twitchy for me and often scrabble on damp roads. I got a good deal on pair of Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric which are on the back. They were on the front and were superb but sat wider than the Falkens that were on the back and looked odd so I swapped them over and then got the twitchy feel on steering and tram lining.  I think they look wider as they have the fat rim protector. I had them before on my 9-5 aero and found them excellent. I'm also limited on makes with these being 225/45 18 95Y XL's................

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
The seat belt retraction problem was a thing with the earlier cars (2003-2005), surprised to hear you have it on a later model but it could be retracting later in the day and causing the alarm to go off.

Not surprised on the tyres, mine has Falkens (the ones off my 9-5) and they are noisy and twitchy and tram line really badly. I'm likely to replace with Michelin Crossclimate later in the year.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2016, 03:39:30 PM »
Good choice Audax. My wife's Golf has had Cross Climates on for over a year now and they are superb in wet and dry. Only managed to try them once in snow and they performed perfectly. Shame they don't make them in my size yet but if funds had allowed I was considering putting new 17" alloys on mine with 235/45's on - we shall see. I think I need to stop spending on the car for the time being and concentrate on my home - loads to do on that now ceilings and shower screen done...................tiling, skirtings, wardrobes, doors, floors and then the kitchen to top it all off.....................oh and every day architectural projects!!!!!!! I think I need 8 day weeks at the moment...............................zzzzzzzzzzzzz

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2016, 05:27:31 PM »
Good choice Audax. My wife's Golf has had Cross Climates on for over a year now and they are superb in wet and dry. Only managed to try them once in snow and they performed perfectly. Shame they don't make them in my size yet but if funds had allowed I was considering putting new 17" alloys on mine with 235/45's on - we shall see. I think I need to stop spending on the car for the time being and concentrate on my home - loads to do on that now ceilings and shower screen done...................tiling, skirtings, wardrobes, doors, floors and then the kitchen to top it all off.....................oh and every day architectural projects!!!!!!! I think I need 8 day weeks at the moment...............................zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I looked for 18" rims, but gave up when none were around and renewed my 17" tyres.

As for extra days, yes!, I've not been home before 9pm for over a week now, but we've finally got a not quite Architect in do some drawing for an extension we've been talking about for 5 years....

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 April 2016, 08:27:36 PM »
Retirement - you can't beat it.