Author Topic: What I Did To My Saab Today.  (Read 283493 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: What I Did To My Saab Today.
« Reply #465 on: 05 May 2018, 07:29:42 PM »
Started on dealing with this... :(

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: 05 May 2018, 08:54:39 PM »
I'm going to pretend I didn't see this and live in ignorant bliss at what's behind my arch liners!
At least it looks like you're getting it before it's gone too far.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: 05 May 2018, 09:05:30 PM »
It's not too bad considering that the car is nearly 12 years old.  When I started driving a car was unlikely to survive more than 8-10 years.

The good thing is that the arch liners are fixed with plastic nuts, so they came of without shearing off the fixing studs :)

I'm going to try and kill the rust with Bilt Hamber "Hydrate 80".  I used it on the rust on the roof a year ago and that's still OK, but back then, I cleaned out the brush by brushing the Hydrate  80 on a rusty chain hanging from my trailer.  It hangs in the open and is very rusty.  It's still there and the rust has gone, so hopefully this stuff is good for a year or three.  I picked up on a recommendation from Martin at Jamsaab.  Seems a good one!! :)  When the Hydrate 80 has cured in 24 hours, the wheel arch will get a coat of Hammerite followed by some underseal.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: 05 May 2018, 10:58:09 PM »
That's well worth keeping a note of!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: 06 May 2018, 04:36:18 PM »
One coat of Hydrate 80.  Optical illusion on the photo for some, the bits that look like blisters are actually pitting!!

And then a coat of Hammerite.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: 07 May 2018, 10:13:21 PM »
The other side is a bit worse and the fuel filler pipe and EVAP stuff is in the way as well

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: 20 May 2018, 03:04:46 PM »
Did the first service on the 9-5 yesterday. Filters, plugs, oil. As well as two engine mounts.
Found the service a bit more of a faff than the 9-3, particularly the pollen filter!!!

Noted when I bought the car, that it had been grounded at some point as there's some denting to the downpipe and cat. It seems that it's worse than I'd thought and the cat is holed with a small amount of sulphur deposited on the outside. Question is, will this constitute an MOT fail?

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: 13 January 2019, 05:44:04 PM »
Replaced both LED side lights as they'd started to flicker. I noticed when I had the lights off the other month, that both LED bulbs had melted slightly. Bit poor that they only lasted a year, if I get the same life out of the set I've just fit, then I'll be going back to incandescents.
Fit these this time: https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-twenty20-cree-led-12v-w5w-canbus-wedge-bulb.html

Replaced the small o-ring in the press in fitting for the vac line on top of the cobra. The fitting was a bit hit and miss when it came to gripping the pipe and the pipe felt a bit loose in there, so I'm sure it would have been sucking some unmetered air. The old o-ring was rather warn so I've replaced with a 12mm ID, 3mm section (I happened to have in stock) which was slightly too large section and made for a rather tight fit, but it's holding well and certainly well sealed.

Finally gave her a hoover and refit the passenger floor mat as the foot well has fully dried out since I fixed the leak a few weeks back, that had been letting in rain water around the ECU.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2019, 05:46:50 PM by fka »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: 13 January 2019, 09:56:56 PM »
I have done nothing to either car for a couple of months.  Building work is getting in the way... :o

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: 13 January 2019, 11:22:57 PM »
I've had a bit of busy weekend in all... Also Artexed a patch in one of the bedroom ceilings the the electrician had put his foot through  >:( the only ceiling in the house that the previous owner had Artexed! The plasterer had repaired the hole but some numpty (our builder) made a pee poor job of matching the stippled Artex, he thought putting emulsion on thickly would do it!. I fit push latches to a set of built-in cupboards in our hallway that have had no handles for the best part of 3 years. And spread a tonne of manure on the borders.
I've now got 3 weeks to paint and prep the stairs and landing for new carpet that's going down. If anyone knows a good source of reclaimed 5&11/16" floorboards I'd be happy to know, I need to replace a few .. Bit of a tangent but I blame you Will for mentioning building work  ;D
« Last Edit: 13 January 2019, 11:25:52 PM by fka »

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: 05 March 2019, 02:13:05 PM »
Fit a set of new window rollers on the drivers window. I'd heard it go crack when it was rolling it down a few months ago and lo and behold both rollers had cracked.
Half hour job to get them in and good to see the window guide that I'd "no-more-nail'ed in place was still where it should be!

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: 22 April 2019, 07:37:34 PM »
A nice simple job on the blue car today, just a rims swap from winter tyres to summer.

The car feels much taughter  :)
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: 01 May 2019, 03:26:31 PM »
Got my 9-5 back from having a new clutch a full set of poly subframe and front ARB bushes.
No more slipping clutch, no more judder pulling off in 1st. And the bushes have made a very noticeable improvement to handling, much more direct feel to steering, less wander. I had no knocking prior but about 1 cm or so of lift with a crowbar when it was up on stands (Seemed silly not to do the bushes whilst the subframe was off to do the clutch). And I don't feel any additional harshness, in fact I'd say it less crashy on the potholes than the worn standard bushes..

During the cause of giving it a good run, I turned ESP off for the first time ever. Floored it coming off a fast round about and Holy Moly I must have left a good few hundred yards of rubber on the tarmac. Needless to say, ESP went straight back on again but I was quite surprised by how controllable it was despite doing an amazing impression of a hooligan! I think this emoticon is relevant here  :Fawlty:

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: 02 May 2019, 09:30:04 AM »
Ah, you'll be needing an LSD next... much less chance of leaving a rubber stripe but when it does, it's "interesting"- FWD with both wheels spinning!  :o :Fawlty:

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: 02 May 2019, 01:48:54 PM »
Very tempted but I'm doing a lot of this 'by stealth' and I'm not sure I can swing an LSD. I was under orders from SWMBO not to tune this one. The 3" DP sold as (and correctly so) "a cost effective replacement of the stock pipe". Stage 3 was sold as "Karl making some changes to the ECU to accommodate the 3" DP". As you know she's far from stupid and rumbled me shortly after driving it with said modifications. Currently seeds have been sown for a little B12 upgrade and a FMIC.
I'm also worried an LSD would put me in the nearest ditch  ???