Author Topic: 9-5 Mirror removal  (Read 35861 times)

welshwizard

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
Re: 9-5 Mirror removal
« Reply #15 on: 09 November 2013, 09:52:43 PM »
wrong tools Will... had to go shopping.  Good excuse to visit the grumpy ironmonger with the most adorable ginger cat....

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #16 on: 09 November 2013, 10:11:17 PM »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 May 2014, 04:12:51 PM »
I've never has any problem with the bolts.  Have they changed them from hex head to Torx or something?
Yes, the frontmost ones are Torx screws (internal, screwdriver style) on my 2004MY. I was contemplating removal and refurb just yesterday, as there is a lot of corrosion on the triangular section and the rearmost section between the mirror unit and the door. What looks like a plastic coating on the triangular section is peeling off.

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • Life is to short to drive slowly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 May 2014, 04:49:21 PM »
Yes, the frontmost ones are Torx screws (internal, screwdriver style) on my 2004MY. I was contemplating removal and refurb just yesterday, as there is a lot of corrosion on the triangular section and the rearmost section between the mirror unit and the door.

Fit the earlier style mirrors and you wont have this problem, I managed to get some immaculate 2001 mirrors, I disassembled them and had the color part painted in the correct color and fitted them. Unless you are a Saab anorak you would never know.

Steve

idlerider

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 5
  • 2003 9-5 Aero estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 May 2015, 10:57:23 PM »
Here's a tip for anyone having difficulty undoing the retaining clips behind the glass: get yourself a 2mm nail punch (it's like a centre punch but with a concave head for countersinking nails). The concave head locates over the ends of the clips and makes manoeuvring them simple.