Author Topic: Astra VXR 'Aero' pack?????!!!!!!!!!  (Read 9891 times)

Mr Linear

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Astra VXR 'Aero' pack?????!!!!!!!!!
« on: 14 June 2012, 11:26:30 AM »
Shortly after killing off SAAB, GM had decided to offer an Aero Pack on the Astra VXR.

Nice timing!!

Mr L

>:(

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
Re: Astra VXR 'Aero' pack?????!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
I suspect that just means that they threw in a free bubbly chocolate bar as an inducement to buy a bl00dy Vauxhall Ashtray
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2012, 01:17:30 PM »
I suspect that just means that they threw in a free bubbly chocolate bar as an inducement to buy a bl00dy Vauxhall Ashtray

There's 6 times as many Astras on the road as Saab's.... I'm not sure they need to offer incentives!

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2012, 02:03:53 PM »
They are more of a disposable commodity compared to the Saab - often given to lower ranks reps and estate agents round here

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
They are more of a disposable commodity compared to the Saab - often given to lower ranks reps and estate agents round here

I don't think that's true for a minute, what does that make a Saab which when new has worse depreciation? Saab's were hardly a desirable car as the company went bankrupt as they couldn't sell them!

Saabman

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 20
  • 9-3 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2012, 06:40:39 PM »

I don't think that's true for a minute, what does that make a Saab which when new has worse depreciation? Saab's were hardly a desirable car as the company went bankrupt as they couldn't sell them!

I think the point "They are more of a disposable commodity compared to the Saab" could be due to you can have an old Saab that still looks nice, drives mint and is still reliable even with high mileage. You jump in an old Astra with/without high mileage and you'll see why you wouldn't want to keep it on the road ;)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2012, 07:02:25 PM »
I think the point "They are more of a disposable commodity compared to the Saab" could be due to you can have an old Saab that still looks nice, drives mint and is still reliable even with high mileage. You jump in an old Astra with/without high mileage and you'll see why you wouldn't want to keep it on the road ;)

Don't think that's really fair, my brother drove his Astra to over 300k and then sold it for £400... I've driven many a high mileage Saab and they're pretty much all sheds too unless they've had serious amounts of money spent on them, it's the *same* as with an Astra just Vauxhall owners see sense long before Saab owners sometimes  ;)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2012, 07:14:04 PM »
Not fair really as GM will throw everything into the Astra to make it look good. Saab only depreciated because GM wouldn't do the same for them like they did with the Omega. If the Saab had the same amount injected then there would be no comparison at all - Saab would always be a winner. The same way I'd rather drive my wife's Volvo V50 than a Focus Estate - no comparison but everyone says the Volvo is just a C Max or Focus - I'd rather hit a tree or wall in the Volvo!!!! Same with the Saab

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2012, 07:27:59 PM »
Not fair really as GM will throw everything into the Astra to make it look good. Saab only depreciated because GM wouldn't do the same for them like they did with the Omega. If the Saab had the same amount injected then there would be no comparison at all - Saab would always be a winner.

That comes down to the crux of the issue though, they throw more at the Astra as they can sell more. Saying if this or that happened then the Saab would have been better might have been true but then, if the badges had just been swapped it would have been the same scenario. End of the day Saab died for a reason, they had to sell out to GM as they were in a situation that they were going under in the early 90's as they were uncompetitive back then. It has been a 20 year drawn out long death, no idea if the rebirth of Saab will come to anything or not...

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2012, 08:26:29 PM »
I think the real point of the matter is that 99% of all saabs are quite individual and very beautiful vehicles but if you look at most vauxhalls beautiful is not the first words from people's lips. At the end of the day SAAB is or possibly was a prestige make vauxhall isn't. The best vauxhall can do now with their cars is throw a huge viper engine in and think its great. Poor mpg high insurance and monster depreciation. Where as Saab used their brains with a medium sized engine and good old reliable turbo units for the power and still good mpg and not ridiculous insurance.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2012, 09:04:58 PM »
The best vauxhall can do now with their cars is throw a huge viper engine in and think its great. Poor mpg high insurance and monster depreciation. Where as Saab used their brains with a medium sized engine and good old reliable turbo units for the power and still good mpg and not ridiculous insurance.

Sorry, that makes no sense in a thread about the Astra VXR which has a 4 cylinder 2 litre turbocharged engine... Also I'm confused by poor mpg, high insurance and monster depreciation? Those things are the main problems with Saab that I believe ultimately killed the company, Saab have fairly abysmal mpg figures, the insurance on a Vauxhall can't be described as "high" and the depreciation on a Saab exceeded that of a Vauxhall many a time!

I agree that in the (distant!) past then Vauxhall's were not as good as a Saab but then the Saab cost a vast amount more money, by the time of the 9-5 and 9-3 then a Vauxhall with extra spec (yes, the base models were poor) was reasonably equivalent to a Saab.

At the end of the day, the figures speak for themselves, there's 4 million Vauxhalls out there and 200,000 Saab's. When you look at the curve of what's left too, the Saab curve kind of matches Vauxhall on the ages of the cars left.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2012, 09:59:13 PM »
I started this over an hour ago - there've been several posts since then.

Putting aside our fairly widely held view of GM  (I know, nigh on impossible to do), the Astra is IMHO an excellent car in its own right, when compared with its competitors - Focus, Golf, Octavia, Megane, 308, C4, etc. The family hatchback. It does what it says on the tin, as Ronseal say.

OK, we all know about badge snobbery - see previous threads and posts about BMW etc, but if I was fated to drive an Astra until I fell off the perch I could think of many worse options. I had one of the current Astras for a day when I was having my 9-5 Hirsch suspension fitted a couple of years back and TBF I preferred it all round (apart from the lack of power) than the 9-3SS I'd owned for six months a year or so before.

Those who've seen my profile will know I live near the "Home of the Astra" as the huge sign on the side of the construction building says. I've never worked for/with the company but I know some who do, and by and large they're good people doing a good job, proud of the cars they make. But they all hate they way the financial people run the whole show, with periodic threats of redundancy and plant closure. My friends also decry the misappropriation of the Aero tag, which prompted this thread.

What exactly defines "prestige"? Is it the ability to fool buyers into paying thousands more for what in many cases is the same car under the surface (VAG are the world leaders here) but with a different (and not necessarily better) face and badge? In my view, yes. See the difference in the sales figures for the Ford Mondeo and the BMW 3 series. In many areas the Ford is better than the BMW, but I believe the BMW is the bigger seller. Tha can only be down to buyer perception and the aforementioned badge snobbery.

Unless one drives like a car magazine tester (i.e. generally someone with a superiority complex who thinks he - almost invariably he - is Lewis Hamilton on a day off),  then the differences in ride (Audi - ha!), handling and interior comfort (and, I almost forgot, build quality) are almost indistinguishable between a £35k "junior executive" car made in Germany and a mainstream Ford/Vauxhall/VW/Kia/etc simlilarly kitted out and costing £20k. There are just as many horror stories about Mercedes/Volkswagen unreliability as there are about Ford/Vauxhall etc.

Someone mentioned monster depreciation. When I bought my 9-5 back in 2005, it was eight months old with 13k miles on it. The list price was over £28k. I paid less than half that, it'd suffered over 50% depreciation in under a year. Not even the Vauxhall Insignias, pushed out by the dozen at my local dealer, see that loss. Insurance? Compare an Astra and a 9-3 with similar trim and engine power, the Astra is in a lower group.

Bit of a ramble there chaps, but I think most of you will catch my drift. Personally, I'll never have a Ford on my driveway. Too plebian for me.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 June 2012, 10:23:57 PM »
See the difference in the sales figures for the Ford Mondeo and the BMW 3 series. In many areas the Ford is better than the BMW, but I believe the BMW is the bigger seller. Tha can only be down to buyer perception and the aforementioned badge snobbery.

The BMW is an aspirational car, you can get some with meaty engines (like the 330d with 260hp and over 500nm of torque) and the M3, the Mondeo tops out with a 240hp engine and doesn't really have anything to aspire to. People buy into that mind share that they are part of something better. Not sure what the actual sales figures are but some of the snobbishness from BMW owners is quite simply that they believe that their car is better (even if it's a 316) as they will say that it's the same as an M3.

Mr Linear

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 June 2012, 11:05:54 PM »
I have driven the current Astra 1.7 110bhp diesel. It is actually a very nice car.

Excellent ride and handling, very smooth and quiet engine and unless really trying to go really fast the torque means its feels as quick as many other cars in normal driving.

Dare I say it,  but it's a bit more comfortable than the other half's 9-3 SS .....however I would still choose the Saab every time!

Can't really explain it!    :o

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 June 2012, 10:05:53 AM »
It just goes to show that even when people think the vauxhall is a better car they still buy the Saab.
I had a vauxhall vectra 2.0 petrol estate when my Beemer got hit years ago. 05 plate.
What a boring thirsty car whith no throttle response and no power. It's sad to say I put a lot more fuel in it than my 1989 e30 2.5 touring.
It's not all about how many cars have been sold because poor car company's throw incentives at you to buy them which idiots love.
At least when a Saab goes wrong it's worth fixing even when it's an older model.
Find a 2000my Astra vert and see if it's in as good condition as most saabs of similar spec.