Author Topic: Winter tyre reviews- factual reviews only, please, not general discussion :)  (Read 77391 times)

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
As suggested, let's have a thread where people can share their experiences of different winter tyres.  Please can you include information on size, rating and the car they were on. I'll start.

Vredestein Wintrac Extreme

I've used these in one size  (225/45/17 XL) but two speed ratings- H&V. Both seemed equally grippy but interestingly on removing them I noticed that having been run at 37PSI, the H rated ones had worn more in the centre of the tread. I would infer from this that the best pressure is actually 35.

On the road they are surprisingly quiet and quite responsive. I can't say I've noticed a significant fall off in the general handling characteristics either compared to summer.

Ultimate snow grip may not be as good as some less performance oriented winter tyres, but they've kept me moving in my MY03 9-5 Aero estate for the last 3 winters.

This year I'm Trying Kuhmo KW27 and will report back when they've been on a while.
« Last Edit: 08 February 2012, 05:15:10 PM by phoenix »

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
Re: Winter tyre reviews
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2011, 02:51:13 PM »
First winter tyre I got was Toyo Snowprox 225/34/17 94V on 54 plate 2.0t Vert Auto. Were excellent in winter and snow - all the stuff about going past 4x4s and only me and Land Rovers on the road. went off quite quickly as it got warmer. Wear was reasonable.

Next were Nokian WR on same car, same size. Fantastic tyres. Could drive anywhere in winter and they were only slightly inclined to a bit of scrabble on heavy acceleration when the weather got a bit warmer. Ran them on over the summer as they reached end of their life and they performed well. Wear was good ( ido about 22k p.a. so wear is important).

Then got a set of Nokian WRG2, again same size. They started on the vert too, then I transferred them to my wife's estate - a 56 plate 2.3t auto. Very similar experience to the WR, but if anything a bit better in the dry and over summer at end of life.

Over period I had the vert, my wife ran spare 16" wheels first with Falken Eurowinter 215/55 16 93H tyres. These were definitely winter only and performed well down to about 5mm when they started to go off pretty quickly in the snow - still fine in wet and dry. Wear heavier than the Nokians.

This year have put the 16"wheels on my 59 plate 95 Estate TiD manual with Nokian W+ 215/55 16 93T. Just gone on and seem fine, although seem to be a bit more inclined to a bit of vibration through tread - don't know if the T rating makes any difference to that. Seem to have same tread pattern as the old WRs.

For first time trying some all-seasons on my wife's car this year - about to repalce the old Nokian WR G"s which have done fine over summer to run the remaining tread off on the 2.3 auto with Hankook 4S 225/45 17 94V. Will see how they go, but will have to work hard to get anywhere near how much Iliked the Nokian WR G2s.

Problem is the Nokians have got very expensive. I was lucky with the price for the W+ ones this year or I'd have looked at something else.

Finally, my  Dad recently replaced ageing golf with a Skoda Fabia 1.4TSi Elegance 105bhp. It's great fun to drive - very nippy. The old golf had nice skinny tyes so pretty good in snow, but he's got winter tyres this year for rather odd sized 205/45 16 wheels. Got a T rating in a Kumho and I'll see how they go, albeit on a much lighter car.

If I was recommneding? Got for Nokian  - the WRG2s were great, but I suspect that any Nokian would be a good buy if price not excessive.. They are replaced now I think but repalcements look pretty similar. They do an eNtyre all season - would be interested to hear of anyone's experience of them in snow.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2011, 02:53:59 PM »
Good thread idea - I know prices will fluctuate as time/seasons pass but might be worth adding what you paid and where from?

I have just acquired some wheels and I'm now looking for winter tyres for the 93 convertible

Might get the Toyo Snowprox but need to research this more and listen to more comments and advice
« Last Edit: 13 October 2011, 03:08:06 PM by Trenchfoot »

jmblack

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2011, 03:22:10 PM »
Just remembered I had Vredestwein Quatrac 225/45 17 94V all-weathers for a while too. They are supposed to have a winter side and a summer side.........

They were poor in snow and more summer oriented I'd say, although still way ahead of Continental Sport Contacts in winter! They were like trying to drive on skates.

The Vredestein wear was poor too. I believe the proper winter Vredestein Wintrac are very good thogh.

JB

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 7
  • 2000 9-5SE, 1992 c900SE & 2002 9-3 Aero vert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2011, 03:43:23 PM »
I got some Continental WinterContact TS830 tyres (205/55 R16) and can't fault them on snow and ice. I managed to drive past quite a few other cars and 4x4s stuck on even quite gentle inclines last winter.  ;D  They are also very quiet on dry roads. Wet grip on cold roads is also very good.

I went for them following a test in the Swedish motoring organisation magazine Motor. They were way ahead of any of the other continental/European style winter tyres as used here in the UK or central Europe.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2011, 05:01:56 PM »
Good write-up jmblack. Thanks for that!  8)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2011, 06:01:51 PM »
I had three winters with Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme 225/40 92W XL on my 9-5 Aero estate.  I got through 5 tyres in that time as one was destroyed by a pothole.  I second the comments from Phoenix that they are good in snow and quiet on dry roads.  They did scrabble a bit when pulling out of turnings with a bit of lock on in the dry.

The only problem I have is that they are directional, so the position on the car is restricted to one side.  As a result of replacing the damaged tyre the wear was out of sequence.  I now have to replace two tyres, but they are both from the same side.  So when I get the tyres I will have to get one of the  existing tyres rotated on the wheel.

The 225/40 18 92Y XL summer tyres are Goodyear Assymetric now and were Michelin Pilot Sport 2. Neither would move the car off my hardstanding in snow. The hardstanding is level!!

I have just bought a set of four 215/55 16 97H XL Nokian A3 winter tyres on steel wheels for her 9-3SS Vector.  Fitted them this afternoon.

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

welshwizard

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2011, 02:09:32 PM »
Currently, sitting IN my car I have Michelin Pilot Alpin 2 205/50/17

Owned since 2004 - range now replaced by PA4....

If I have to be honest I really don't think I tested the tyres to give a comprehensive overview, other than the fact I 'believed' traction was better with them on rather than the standard summer tyres in the winter.  Why am I so reserved?  Could it be that those who stick with summer tyres during winter have no concept of driving safely and end up in all sorts of trouble give the appearance that just sticking winters on really do make a difference and the same people who show little driving ability with summer tyres will fail miserably on winters....

Tomorrow I have Kleber Quadraxer 225/45/17 fitted (reason for change? - size and insurance).

Positives on Michelin PA2 - as  I mentioned I've had them since 2004 - approx 40-45k miles with 9-3 and 9-5 Aeros.  Just hope the Klebers have the same life.

Klebers....noisy and somewhat compromised handling, car doesn't feel quite so confident.

Despite their 'All-Season' descriptor - they DO have the all-important snowflake and three-peaks symbol.
« Last Edit: 17 October 2011, 10:41:22 AM by welshwizard »

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2011, 04:57:37 PM »
Just thought I would mention this. I was working in the hangar at Brize Norton two winters ago. There was a threat of snow but inside the hangar you can't really see out. My wife was going to call me if the weather clagged in and started snowing, which would have given me a good chance to get back to Stow ...except she forgot.
I duly finished work and went outside to find a blizzard going on with already a 1" covering on the ground. I jumped into my car (Then a Hyundai Coupe S1) and set off.
I got to the bottom of Burford highstreet and thought that was where my journey would end, but attempted to go up the hill towards Stow and to my astonisment made it. Travelling along the Fosse road the snow was getting deeper and deeper and I really thought I was going to be stranded, the only other vehicles were about were Landrovers and even they weren't looking too confident.
I kept the car moving and surprised myself at going up Stow Hill though to be fair the road there is very sheltered from overhanging trees. Finally after a couple more incidental but steep slopes I made it onto my driveway.

The tyres on the car? Just Toyo Proxes sports tyres! Admittedly they were still quite new so treads nice and deep. But to this day I consider myself lucky getting home. That Coupe was pretty good in snow. But the best car I had for snow with 'regular' tyres was a Citroen 2CV

john

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • 2020 Volvo S60 Polestar, 2020 BMW RNineT Scrambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2011, 06:50:53 PM »
the best car I had for snow with 'regular' tyres was a Citroen 2CV

Mine was a 96V4.  Those thin tyres and front wheel drives are good in snow.  And mud and gravel.  They seemed to do fairly well in rallies, too  8)

JB

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 7
  • 2000 9-5SE, 1992 c900SE & 2002 9-3 Aero vert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 October 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
My first c900 on skinny 80 profile (summer)  tyres left quite a few cars in its wake as well.  ;D ;D

jmblack

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2011, 10:28:31 AM »
Try a beetle with engine over drive wheels and skinny but
Large wheels.... Steering a different matter....

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 October 2011, 10:40:10 AM »
Can we stick to reviews of winter tyres in winter not summer tyres in winter ;) :)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2011, 03:33:07 PM »
An independent (I think) review of some 205/55 16 91H Premium winter tyres from a German source.  My German is not good enough to do more than pick out a few bits.

http://www.gtue.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=45080

But they have published a table at the end of the article :)

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2011, 03:42:41 PM »
They also did some tests of 185/60 15H "All Season tyres" last year.  I think that they have compared them to Nokian full winter tyres (left hand column) and Nokian summer tyres (RH column), but it's a bit confusing.: