Author Topic: Re-acquainting myself with the Aero  (Read 1771 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Re-acquainting myself with the Aero
« on: 15 April 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
So after it had been standing on the drive silently for two weeks whilst we were on holiday in Florida, I got in the Aero to give it a bit of a blast this evening. Luckily it started first time as if we had never been away (unlike my 107 which struggled initially).

Other than the rusty brake discs and the pads stuck to them (and probably flatspotted tyres), the car ran like a dream.... and the radio worked first time. I've missed that acceleration ;)

I washed the car before I went away and can now see how crusty that driver's front wing is, so need to get another in 170 black as a bolt on replacement. Anyone know how easy it is to remove and refit? Does the bumper and Aero sill trim need to come off?
« Last Edit: 15 April 2018, 07:50:43 PM by Steve McF »

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Re: Re-acquainting myself with the Aero
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2018, 08:20:26 PM »

Wow it should easily start after a 2 week break!
My diesel was always idle for 6 days at a time between shifts.
If I was overseas on a short trip it would be idle for a couple of weeks, and I never had an issue until late last year when the weather started cooling down, and I noticed one cold morning that it wasn't turning over very quickly, so I changed the 6 year old battery for an extra heavy duty job from Halfrauds and was astonished at the difference.
The rusty discs soon clean off, and as for any flat-spots they will be gone after a few miles. Even Blockley tyres as I have on my vintage car, highly criticised for flat-spotting while stood overnight(!) will sort themselves out within a few miles even after sitting for 6 months

Sorry cant help with wing removal but someone else no doubt will!

Envious of you getting some sunshine though  >:( 8)
Welcome home!

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2018, 09:24:22 PM »
Oh yes I hope so....I just don't know how old this battery actually is as I've only had the car since Xmas. But it started as if I had only been run the day before ;)

The discs go very crusty with a bit of rain, and the pads stick on. When I moved our Qashqai for the first time at the long stay car park at Manchester this morning, there was a bang as the all pads broke free from the discs!!

The Saab is similar, but then I get a lot of rubbing noise for a while afterwards, so have to do a bit of braking to clear it!!!! And with braking, is required acceleration of course!!!!! :D

I'm hoping the wing is a simple bolt on affair, but I don't know if I'd need to remove the bumper and side skirts as well to get the old wing off and a new one on. Could be more work than I am anticipating!!!!!

As for the sunshine, yeah it was good - not as hot as when we were there this time last year though, and we had one day when we were caught in a horrendous thunder storm, whilst sat in the car in the car park waiting to go into one of the Disney Parks!!!

But the sun being out does make you feel better :) Hopefully we'll get some of that here now!!!!

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2018, 09:48:33 PM »

Yes hope you brought the Florida sun back with you!

I wouldn't worry about the bang as the brake pads break free - or the rubbing sound for some while after - I got that on a weekly basis with mine owing to my shift work with six or so days off at a time. Seems to me that the SAAB was very noticeable with this phenomenon. Other cars far less so.