Author Topic: What I Did To My Saab Today.  (Read 286667 times)

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
Re: What I Did To My Saab Today.
« Reply #705 on: 03 October 2020, 11:35:07 PM »
I couldn't have told you the name of the map but yes that what I was saying. But according to Karl's posts in the thread you linked, the warm-up map is ramped based on Teng - up to 80c - and the number of combustions from start. Number of combustions from startup outweighs Teng - thus after x number of combustions it will run on the normal running fuel map regardless of Teng. Ergo fuel consumption would only be noticeably higher [with a duff thermostat] if you're regularly doing short start/stop trips, sort enough that you don't exceed the 'x' number of combustions and thus stay within the warm-up map.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: 07 October 2020, 11:26:23 AM »
My headlights are always on (/daylight running). I've noticed a few times over the last week or so that they're staying on when I take the key out of the ignition. Put the key back in, turn it and remove it again and they go off.

Took the cylinder out today and it was feeling very rough. Removed the white plastic cap, spring and washer. Gave it a good blast with brake parts cleaner and a fair amount of gritty stuff came out. Muck or warn metal from the cylinder, I'm not sure. Lubed liberally with white lithium and worked the key for a while until it ran smooth. Reassembled and now it's popping up like never before when the key comes out. Not a bad result for 20 mins work.

I have everything to replace the thermostat but I'm saving that one for the weekend.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #707 on: 07 October 2020, 11:37:30 AM »
I did my thermostat last year.  The bolt in the centre that holds the earth for the DI unit sheared off.  It was completely seized.  I tried some release stuff, but it made no difference.  I attached the earth to one of the main bolts.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: 07 October 2020, 01:36:58 PM »
Thanks for the warning. Hopefully that one shouldn't give me a problem, I've had the earths off last year when I re-terminated them.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: 07 October 2020, 04:19:06 PM »
Not doing very well today. :(

I felt well enough to go out and look though the myriad options in Tech2 to see if there was anything about the CPS and the start time.

I checked and cleared the error codes relating to the ESP which appeared and was browsing through the rest, when the display broke up and went off.  Then I noticed that elusive grey stuff drifting out of the Tech2.  It was the sort of smoke that blew out of the window.  So I couldn't catch it and put it back. :(

I took the back off and had a look.  There's a light brown item that has a dark patch on it, but unfortunately, the ribbon to the display which lay above it has burnt through. :'( :'( :'(

Then to cap it all, to see if the underside of the board was burnt (it wasn't) I rotated the display to the side and two wires broke off.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: 07 October 2020, 04:49:06 PM »
Bugger!

Well my alarm has been going of repeatedly this afternoon, so I'll be adding disconnecting the siren box this weekend too!

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: 07 October 2020, 06:08:06 PM »
That escalated quickly. Bloody thing wouldn't stop going off!
My ears are bleeding and my tinnitus has just taken a huge leap forward..

It's off now. Question is, is it worth repairing or do I just get it TechII'd out and use the horn instead?

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: 10 October 2020, 05:43:43 PM »
Fit a new thermostat today. I couldn't, or should say, didn't want to force the hose off the housing. Clamp came off easily enough but the hose was solid on the housing. Tried heating it up with a heat gun but it wasn't for shifting. I just took the housing off with the hose still attached, no big deal.
Cleaned the mating surfaces as best I could with a razor blade and brake cleaner.
I've ordered some non-acidic vaseline but it didn't arrive in time so I just used regular stuff. Not sure if this will prove to be an issue down the road.
The coolant that came out was fairly rusty looking. I didn't do a flush so I may change it again in spring.
Also the green drain plug on the radiator came out very easily and when I turned it back it, it didn't seem to click closed (if that makes sense). However it's not leaking..
Engine came up to temp fine and the fans kicked in at 100c. Seems to hold around 93 to 98C at idle.

Also moved the ground on the inlet manifold again. I'd placed it between the black powder coated bracket and the manifold but I noticed the other day the thread had stripped and I was never really happy with it here. The pre-drilled and unused hole it's now in was untapped but I realised the bolts are self tapping so it's locked down well.

I've also noticed I have the return of a misfire on light throttle when cold. Completely goes away once up to temp.
I thought I'd solved that when I re-terminated the grounds on the thermostat and inlet manifold. It seems not! Only other thing I did at the time that seems to have resolved it was run some injector cleaner through it. So I've ordered some Forte..

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: 14 October 2020, 08:34:28 AM »
I've been busy doing non car stuff...

Sorry to hear about the Tech 2 Will, I'm sure you know the places it can be looked at better than me, seems a bit strange though. Do you think it was component or physical failure first ?

Glad the small jobs are working out ok FKA, even though they seem to be accumulating. Split the case and test the battery voltage against my thread. That might indicate a battery or capacitor problem.

I did a few earlier this year,I'm not sure it was worth it now, warnings are back on the grey one and the green one randomly decides to be naughty
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: 14 October 2020, 02:44:23 PM »
The Tech2 is (sort of) working.  My soldering skills are not good.  I'm a bit too keen on "making sure" and either dumping too much solder on the joint and/or overheating things.  I learnt my soldering on copper piping with a blowlamp! :o

I took a chance on the capacitor after I found that the Tantalum ones are known to fail all on their own, especially the cheap ones.  I got a strip of 10 from RS Components.  The cap was soldered in gently and seems to be firm.  I then threw caution to the winds and replaced all 13 short wire between the main board and the display.

I thought about the hole in the ribbon and tried same small staples across the gap.  It was put back together, but something was jamming the PCMCIA card. Another attempt and it all went together.

I now have a machine that lights up and appears to be OK, but the keypad is intermittent.  A new keypad is on order from China, but will take a while.  In the meantime, I'm going to try some electrical conducting paint.  A tube will be ready for collection from RS Components tomorrow.  I'll dot it around the point the staples go through the ribbon tracks.

Wearing two pairs of glasses helps with all this!

Picture of the ribbon

And a picture of the display as it is now.  You can just see the new capacitor at the bottom.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: 15 October 2020, 04:42:34 PM »

Glad the small jobs are working out ok FKA, even though they seem to be accumulating. Split the case and test the battery voltage against my thread. That might indicate a battery or capacitor problem.

I'm hopefully coming to the end of a run - but never say never!

I went to Joe's yesterday and we had a go with the TechII to set the alarm to use the horn instead of the siren. It seems this is not actually possible despite a number of people on different forums saying it is. Quick call to Phoenix (Mark E) and he checked his Edna and found the alarm had just been uninstalled/removed so he talked me through how to do it. I owe you a few beers Mark! And Joe frankly, who just left me to tinker with the TechII FOC!
Think I'd quite like a TechII of my own to play with..

Today I removed the brake booster vac hose fitting from the charge air pipe and fit a new one. The last leak I could find in the system plugged!
Was a bit of a pain. Had to remove the pipe and use a bolt, socket and g-clamp to press it out.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: 17 October 2020, 05:43:25 PM »
Tried the conducting paint pen.  Sadly, the stuff is too good, even the tiniest dot conducted, but it spread and shorted across the ribbons  and now none of the buttons work. :(

I can't scrape it off without damaging the ribbon further. I'll wait for the new pad to arrive.  It will not be quick. It's coming from China.

I think that I could fix it but it would require a lot of careful work and would still be a bodge, so Ill wait.  Tracker says it's at the airport in China.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: 18 October 2020, 02:09:17 PM »
Not just today but over the last few days I have replaced the power steering pipes on the 9-5. Never. Ever. Again.

What a complete pain of a job. It would be tough to do on a full height 4 poster but on your back on the drive underneath with limited room... and there was no way that poxy little bolt at the back was getting back on. I may do it at some point in the future if I drop the subframe to do the bushes.

I used the commonly available aftermarket kit which isn't quite the same shape as the original so requires much swearing to get in place. Indeed I think I have probably caused a local swear drought. And I'm covered in small bruises.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2020, 01:26:50 PM by phoenix »

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: 18 October 2020, 07:16:39 PM »
and in the middle of it all you take a call from me about how to drive a Tech2  ;D

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: 20 October 2020, 09:23:09 AM »
According to the tracking app, the Tech2 keypad left China last night, after sitting in “customs clearance” since Friday morning.