Author Topic: What I Did To My Saab Today.  (Read 286633 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: What I Did To My Saab Today.
« Reply #450 on: 30 April 2017, 08:46:55 PM »
:) :)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: 30 April 2017, 09:57:08 PM »
I read my owner's manual.
(for the significance of this statement, please see my post in the 9-3 workshop)

I also read the owners manual today to try and get some clarity on something. My daughter turned 12 a few weeks ago and now weighs just under 36kg and is just under 150cm tall. Turns out there's lots of information out there on when to use car seats but not much information about when to stop using a child seat when your little one is growing up. Anyway we took the car seat out and put the head rest back in the car and she looks fine in the seat and no belt pulling around her neck so she's graduated to no longer requiring a car seat although it would be nice to know what is safest!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: 05 May 2017, 04:41:07 PM »
Finally put the summer tyres on.  The winters were a bit worn on the inside edge at the front.  So had a four wheel alignment done.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: 12 May 2017, 07:43:22 AM »
Mine's in for a service and MOT today. Good job as the Check Engine light came on last night. Went from Leics to Redhill, Surrey up to Peterborough to see a car, then back to Leics with no issues. Then took the car to get fuel and the light came on. Car is driving fine so hoping it's nothing serious - mechanic hasn't got Tech II so hoping the diagnostics picks up the errors properly!

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: 14 May 2017, 09:59:41 AM »
Mine passed the MOT with no advisories which was a pleasant surprise.

The CEL turned out to be the following (from my invoice):

plugged in diagnostics and found fault combustion fault with cylinder

1 and 2 possible worn spark plugs but replaced during service so cleared fault code and will require monitoring

I suspect the DI Cartridge. It is starting better than it did though I suspect I'll need a new DI eventually. Throttle body has already been replaced.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: 14 May 2017, 09:34:17 PM »
Is the DI cracked underneath?  That's caused by leaking sparks. 

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: 28 June 2017, 09:44:08 AM »
I washed the car yesterday as it had been a while and also ordered a 3.5mm ground loop isolater from Amazon for £7 http://amzn.eu/f51KkpK fitted it this morning and the alternator whine that I would get over the aux input when the bluetooth kit was paired but not playing music is gone.

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: 28 June 2017, 01:42:19 PM »
Soundproofed the 99T. Took three days and made quite a difference!

StanleyB

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: 31 July 2017, 07:27:13 PM »
I fitted two new front door speakers in my 9-3 OG. They were those Volts type. Massive improvement in sound level and depth of bass. I am well happy but wish that I had done this years ago.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: 31 July 2017, 08:11:30 PM »
I finally worked out which fuse to use to fit the ignition controlled feed to the dashcam in her Carlsson.  The Saab WIS is incorrect.  I tried using the "Road Toll" fuse 17 which is on the +15 ignition circuit according to the list of fuses in WIS.  This would have been nice because it says that there is a connector is by the speaker at the bottom of the A pillar.  It's not on +15, it's on the permanent +30 circuit.  It's shown correctly when you look at the individual circuit info in another part of WIS. ::)

Used the Parking Heater circuit in the end on fuse 18.  The camera goes on and off with the ignition now. :)   

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: 07 October 2017, 02:59:03 PM »
Apart from sorting out a headlight misting problem on my new 9-5, I replace the valve cover gasket and fit a new bung in the old distributer hole.
The valve cover gasket was leaking quite badly and so was the plug in the old distributor mounting point.
I had a new plug I'd bought a while back, ran some loctite quick gasket round the edge of the bung - I'm not holding up too much hope but we'll see how long that lasts  :)

I was pleasantly surprised with the condition of head and chain, it looks spanking new under there. Obviously I'd cleaned up the gunk with a petrol soaked rag before refitting the valve cover.

I did however manage to break the two sodding clips on the breather hose. I was so careful taking it off but stupidly tried to push it straight on rather than prising it gently.. Currently held on gingerly with two cable ties whistle I await the £35 replacement part (No. 55355330) !!

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: 09 October 2017, 09:13:34 PM »
Today I sold my 9-3, very sad to see it drive off down the road.
She never got a name other than the one my son gave it "Blue Car!".
So bye bye Blue Car, you served us well and emptied my wallet even better  :)

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: 25 April 2018, 04:44:01 PM »
Resurrecting this... not actually today but at the weekend I have a couple of good fixes- filled and bandaged the corroded flange joint on the 9-5 exhaust so it doesn't sound like its got a bad case of flatulence any more.

And the real win... I've had an annoying rattle on the 9000 for some time. In the past I found it was due to the heatshield on the cat having come loose but the fix I last did with stainless cable ties was holding. I couldn't see anything obvious but I knew it was the NS that caused more grief so it tried thumping the wheel and heard a rattle. As luck would have it, the aperture of the Super Aeros was just in the right place for me to notice that the caliper was missing the retaining spring. Grabbed a spare from thE garage and all is quiet again now. Bliss!l

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: 25 April 2018, 05:19:03 PM »
I did the plugs and coils on the Carlsson last weekend.  The brake vac hose had been broken and glued, so I had to stick that together.

Bit of a fiddly job, but not too bad.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: 05 May 2018, 07:12:10 PM »
I fit the gear linkage bush kit from Abbott today. I've been eyeing up the same kit on Maptun's site for some time but they wanted around £80 for it (inc postage.). Abbott have it on offer atm so £51 all in. Still quite expensive for a couple of bits of turned brass but really worth it. There was a fair amount of play with the original bushes and shifting gears is now much more positive.

https://www.abbottsaab.com/product/saab-9-5-uprated-gear-linkage-bush-kit/