Author Topic: What I Did To My Saab Today.  (Read 283537 times)

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Re: What I Did To My Saab Today.
« Reply #480 on: 10 June 2019, 12:37:17 PM »
Got the 9000 through it's MOT with just a couple of advisories  :Fawlty: :Fawlty:

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: 10 June 2019, 01:04:47 PM »
 8)  :)

I'm still learning what people have if it isn't in their signatures, so I am delighted there's another 9000 still around here. More on SORN than taxed these days though, having read the "anyone still running a 9000" thread and done an up to date check. I was getting a bit worried, 4 years and no updates.

What did I do today - well yesterday in truth, and related to stripping the breaker. I had noticed a couple of weeks ago that the drivers front upper speaker had gone a bit silent.

A couple of minutes work and the speaker was off, the donor was tested and working so great, not an unit/amp problem, and 5 minutes later the in car entertainment was back to full strength. It almost took more time to read how to access the speaker and get the right size torx bit than to do the repair.
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: 10 June 2019, 01:38:00 PM »
In the house currently we have

06 Edna Aero Estate
00 GM9-3
96 9000 Aero, this one:

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: 10 June 2019, 03:07:25 PM »
It's the same colour as my Dads (my old company car), beige interior though
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #484 on: 10 June 2019, 06:32:45 PM »
At last year's National Rally at Prescott Hill Climb there was only one 9000...  it won a prize for best in class!! :D

However in Trollhättan on Saturday there were plenty of all flavours of Saab.  Well over 1000 cars. :)   Including a street of 9000s parked both sides!  :Fawlty:
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: 07 July 2019, 10:01:09 PM »
Yesterday, actually:
1. washed and cleaned her - gleaming for a few hours until the seagulls redecorated the grill. >:(
2. used my yellow cable tie hinge method to fix the washer reservoir cap which snapped off when I was cleaning and topping up the car. (If it had only happened before I ordered the plugs and rear boot badge I would have bought a new one.)
3. replaced the old plugs I think were causing the occasional misfire to be logged - she idles smoother and accelerates harder when the loud pedal is pressed. ;D
4. replaced the cable tie holding the auto gear selector on with a bush repair kit - once I figured out how to get the rusty metal clip out I was able to do it without removing the entire cable from the car. Very easy to fit and I didn't have to pull the centre console apart!
Just need to sort the slight oil leak, the rear arch blistering and the bumper scrape someone didn't leave a note about.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: 07 July 2019, 10:15:23 PM »
Did the thermostat on the 9-5. Bolts sheared off, but not too bad a job.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: 10 July 2019, 10:49:46 PM »
Today I checked the coolant level and all seems well.  Then I had a quick check around the engine bay and saw that the short length of hose from the purge valve to the non-return valve on the EVAP system was starting to split at the end, so I replaced it with silicone.  A quick suck to check the valve was working - and it wasn't :(  I could blow both ways once it was off and cleaned.

The Saab replacement is difficult to uwork out because the parts list shows a diagram for the old EVAP system, LHD, RHD, USA, rest of world, etc. so which part is which is anyone's guess ::)  And anyway it comes with lengths of pipe attached.

So I ordered an aluminium valve from eBay which will get here sometime next week. Then SWMBO reminded me that she needed my car to go to Northampton on Saturday...

I looked for valves elsewhere, but found nothing.  On the way out to a meeting this evening I stopped at Halfords, just in case; but they had nothing.  Then I remembered Midnight Motors which was also on the way.  I went in and asked.  The man reached behind the counter and said "Which do you want. 6mm, 8mm or 10mm?" :D

The Saab valve is, of course, 6mm on one end and 8mm on the other ::)

I know what I'll be doing tomorrow...

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: 11 July 2019, 09:19:56 AM »
Norgren do a great range of check valves, and you can specify what size on each end. RS sell them.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: 11 July 2019, 10:14:15 AM »
I looked at the Norgren ones but the ones on the RS website all looked to be ones with socketed ends that needed a rigid pipe pushed into them. Next time I pop into RS in Watford I’ll have a closer look.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: 11 July 2019, 01:47:43 PM »
All done! :)

So much for guessing the size.  The Saab valve has 8mm & 10mm ends, not 6mm & 8mm ::)  But a couple of pipe clips sorted that.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: 11 July 2019, 07:46:51 PM »
Oh! Rats.

Been out for a test drive and all seems well, except for a slight smell of petrol.

That makes things difficult.  It might be a longer term problem, and not caused by the work that I've been doing because I lost my sense of smell and got some nasal spray from the doctor which has restored my sense of smell to some extent, but only in the last 48 hours...

It's not the fuel filter, that's completely dry.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: 12 July 2019, 01:34:05 PM »
All OK now..

It helps if you reconnect the purge valve electrics!! :roll:

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: 14 August 2019, 10:47:29 AM »
My 9-5 passed it's MOT with zero advisories, just the usual note about child seats not allowing full inspection of the rear seatbelts.
Also played cheque book mechanic had the rear rose buhses, that have sat in my kitchen for the last 3 months, fitted. Need to have the alignment checked again but hopefully that's brought my rear camber back within tolerances. The rear end certainly feels a lot tighter (Oooh, you are awful .. but I like you)

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: 27 August 2019, 12:16:12 PM »
Got round to doing the last service item yesterday, the evil cabin filter. That has to be one of the most ill thought out service items, in the history of service items... Trim removed, glove box out, removed inspection cover, forgot to disconnect battery, arched the fan controller heat-sink that's attached to the inspection cover on the ECU ... and then spent the best part of 30 mins contorting myself trying to get the new filter in whilst keeping the foam block in place around the air-con pipes! Finally succeeded by using a long pallet knife to hold up and compress the foam block whilst I slid in the filter.

Worth noting the 'Genuine' Saab filter I was sent (from a reputable parts supplier) is no longer marked as a Saab part, it just carries a Mann Filters logo and part number. It also has an 'improvement' by way of double sided sticky tape to hold the foam block in place on top of the filter. If you have A/C do not attempt to stick the foam to the top of the filter as there's absolutely no way to get the filter in and the foam secured around the A/C pipes with it attached to the filter. You'll simply spend an additional 10 mins cleaning double sided tape off the top of the filter..