Author Topic: Best all-year tyres for 9-3 convertible - recommendations  (Read 8295 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Best all-year tyres for 9-3 convertible - recommendations
« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2018, 10:38:12 PM »
Aye, but I've been to many tyre fitting outlets that try to convince you that the best tyres should be fitted to the 'driving wheels'  ::)

I hope that's more than 10-15 years ago now :|

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2018, 12:57:08 AM »
Probably about four or five years back  :-\

davidguthrie

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • Saab 9-3 2.0T (2004) convertible owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2018, 09:56:02 AM »
I've never skimped on tyres,gents. Just too dangerous. This wasn't a question of just being legal - there were actually 6mm of tread minimum on all tyres. I sought advice because I replace tyres early as a matter of course. Your words of caution are well noted!
Speaking of skids and the like, I once went through a red light sideways-on. Fortunately it was 2 a.m. I also once managed a six-turn pirouette. Mind you, this was in Canada on frozen rain!
David Guthrie

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2018, 09:26:20 AM »
Bit late on this one but I've had Nokian WRD3 on my 9-3 Aero Estate TTiD for over a year now. They are full winter tyre but very quiet and handled superbly in the last snow we had. They have an A rating for wet and B for the rest I think. I've done about 12k on them and they still have around 6.5mm on them and had no issues with handling in the summer either. Not sure on price for your 17" as mine are the odd 225/45 x 18 and set me back about 120 each so would expect 17's to be a lot less than this perhaps around 90 each corner. Very much worth it for bad weather as I went past 4 x 4's with ease and up and down hills where others simply failed in snow and ice.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2018, 11:40:30 AM »
We are in Germany at the moment. It’s very noticeable that a large number of cars of all sizes and power are running winter tyres still. It looks unlikely that they plan to change for the summer.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.