Author Topic: Saab parts manufacturing to return to Trollhatten  (Read 1055 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Saab parts manufacturing to return to Trollhatten
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2023, 10:14:42 PM »
There are a few things afoot in Sweden.  There is also a small "hobbyist" group doing 3D printing, who hope to expand their range.

https://www.saab3dprint.com

It's a shame that Hedin/Saab Parts are not on the ball.  They have a head start, but their pricing is scattergun, and many bought-in parts from established industry suppliers are priced in dreamland.  The Bosch ignition coils for the V6 engine were mispriced from the start.  We think that the price for a set of 6 was put against each coil!!  Last time I looked their price had reduced to around £200/coil when they are available on the open market for around £50 each.  Similarly, I needed a fuel pressure sensor for the V6.  SaabParts list it at £326.  It's a Bosch item and I got one from Opie Oils for £27 + £3 P&P. 

For those who have bought a Saab as a cheap runabout, this sort of pricing will cause many owners to scrap their car rather than repairing it.  Which, of course, will reduce the customer base for the suppliers of Saab parts.  It's self defeating.  Most Saabs are valued by insurance companies at under £1500.  If you are reliant on a garage to do all your repairs and maintenance, high parts prices will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Saab parts manufacturing to return to Trollhatten
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2023, 09:49:53 PM »
For those who have bought a Saab as a cheap runabout, this sort of pricing will cause many owners to scrap their car rather than repairing it.  Which, of course, will reduce the customer base for the suppliers of Saab parts.  It's self defeating.  Most Saabs are valued by insurance companies at under £1500.  If you are reliant on a garage to do all your repairs and maintenance, high parts prices will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Even when Saab still existed there were some very strange prices for parts. I recall some engine parts for the 1.9 diesel turned up one day with a Saab logo stuck over the fiat part no. I removed the Saab label and called up the local Fiat dealer to ask for prices. The retail price of that Fiat part to the general public was a few quid where the trade price from Saab was nearly £20, which was without the 20% retail markup applied...