Author Topic: Zylinderhaus Museum in Bernkastel-Kues  (Read 1977 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Zylinderhaus Museum in Bernkastel-Kues
« on: 10 August 2022, 09:12:15 PM »
We are down on the Mosel for IntSaab2022 and came across this fairly new motor museum https://www.zylinderhaus.com/en/time-ignition-adventure/die-stars__trashed-3/

Mostly Opel/Audi/Mercedes but also several Borgward and some oddities.  There was a Volkswagen K70 which I had never heard of.  it apparently overlapper the 411/412 and the Passat, but started out as a NSU...
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

welshwizard

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Zylinderhaus Museum in Bernkastel-Kues
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2022, 10:54:11 AM »
Shame it's not about 20 miles south of where it actually is....  I'm heading in the direction of Karlsruhe a fortnight on Friday, en route to Austria.

The NSU K70 was intended as a stablemate for the Ro80, with a 1.6 engine and not a rotary.  VW then took the car and the tooling to its range and an underused factory, and it became their first FWD water cooled car and set the scene for the Passat.

I see plenty of K70s at NSU meetings, most were built as VWs but owners change the badging to NSU items.

Did you know the Polo was born out of the NSU K50?  Today's Porky Polo is a direct descendent of the Prinz.  Without Daimler and NSU we wouldn't have today's VW and Audi.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2022, 10:33:18 PM »
Not much I can add to that  ;D  :thumbsup:

except.... the Polo was actually launched as the Audi 50, before rebadging, and that Karlsruhe has one of the biggest and best sources for Porsche parts. Imagine seeing 5 complete engines on pallets for a homologated car that only had a run of 400 units

Oh, and if you try really hard, you can get the back end to step out on a 950cc mk1 Polo  :Fawlty:
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

ReAxs7

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • Skoda Octavia Mk 4 SE L First Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2022, 05:53:50 AM »
The ever inspiring mines of information that STT members possess is wonderous to behold.

welshwizard, carrera and indeed sgould, I salute you and your fellow members.

I feel today has started out rather well.  :thumbsup:  :)