Author Topic: Inlet Manifold.  (Read 6341 times)

Holski

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • Assuption is the mother of all **** Ups
    • View Profile
Inlet Manifold.
« on: 30 June 2011, 09:32:55 AM »
Hi all, Just had the mail regarding the new forum, so thought I'd sign up. But still having some problems with my 9-3 and misfiring. Its ok when cruising but when you put your foot down it misses like a bugger but eventually clears. It does the same when pulling away, misses then clears. Now when warm it misses when idling. A real nightmare round town! New plugs fitted, IAC cleaned, hoses checked, TB cleaned in situ. Took it to a local mechanic today and he suggested that it could be drawing air through the inlet manifold gasket. Anyone experienced this? Regards Shaun

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Re: Inlet Manifold.
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2011, 09:41:22 AM »
Can you confirm what year/engine it is- use the VIN decoder pinned in this forum to check then we can make sure we're in the right track:)
« Last Edit: 30 June 2011, 09:49:24 AM by phoenix »

win_k

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 4
  • 99 9-3 SE, 99 9-3 S 5 speed Coupe, 01 Vert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2011, 01:01:57 PM »
Hi all, Just had the mail regarding the new forum, so thought I'd sign up. But still having some problems with my 9-3 and misfiring. Its ok when cruising but when you put your foot down it misses like a bugger but eventually clears. It does the same when pulling away, misses then clears. Now when warm it misses when idling. A real nightmare round town! New plugs fitted, IAC cleaned, hoses checked, TB cleaned in situ. Took it to a local mechanic today and he suggested that it could be drawing air through the inlet manifold gasket. Anyone experienced this? Regards Shaun

I'm unsure the symptoms point to a leaking manifold gasket -- Usually, a vacuum leak at the manifold shows it's worst symptoms at idle and the symptoms fade under load.

Still, it's easy to check for a leak.  Use a can of starting fluid and with the engine idling, spray the suspect area with the ether. If the ether gets pulled into the system, the engine's idle will increase noticeably.

Holski

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
Can you confirm what year/engine it is- use the VIN decoder pinned in this forum to check then we can make sure we're in the right track:)
Sorry Guys, its a B204i 2 litre non turbo, MY99

Holski

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2011, 04:03:11 PM »
Nothing to do with the manifold, turns out its the Ignition coil! Broke down on the way to work Friday morning, called the RAC out, one of their subbies came out to me and diagnosed it within 20 mins. Good old boy. Just started getting it out now, power steering res out, coolant expansion off and the battery removed, what a bugger!  Just trying to get the cap off the coil now, just in case the new coil comes without one. Any ideas on how the wiring cap comes off? looks like a special tool is needed. the cap is held on the the terminals with a weird nut, needs a pronged screw driver or socket. Never seen one.

win_k

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 4
  • 99 9-3 SE, 99 9-3 S 5 speed Coupe, 01 Vert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2011, 04:40:23 PM »
I think what you're referring to are the torx head screws, SAAB's use then nearly everywhere.

You can buy them as simple screw drivers or as a set of insert bits.

If you're really lucky, the double ended driver is still in the boot with the jack, lug wrench and such.

Holski

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2011, 08:48:44 AM »
No sir, defo not Torx.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2011, 09:19:01 AM »
I don't know the nut, but I have bought a big set of "security screwdrivers" for not very much from Maplins.  Things like pronged screwdrivers, 5-spoke posh rive, 3-spoke ditto, hex drives with a hole up the middle, triangular drives, etc.  About 40 interchangeable heads in all.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Holski

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2011, 05:28:24 PM »
Got the coil today £38! Bargain. And would you odds it, they supplied the tool in the box! All done now and running sweet! Just one thing though, how long does the SID take to settle down after the battery has been off? My MPG is showing 6.7. Thanks for the replies guys. ;D

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
Hit 'clear' and it will start again.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.