Author Topic: Full beam headlights  (Read 1651 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Full beam headlights
« on: 08 December 2019, 10:48:37 PM »
I have to say, the full beam lights on this 9-3 Aero I have are fantastic. Far better than our other two cars. The Saab seems to light up the countryside a long way ahead, and to the sides of the road. Our other cars are poor by comparison!!!! Is this the case with the standard Saab headlight set up, or might the previous owner have put Carlos Fandango bulbs in? :D

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Full beam headlights
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2019, 09:10:23 AM »
The main beams are standard halogen H7 bulbs, but the light is quite good, especially with Osram Nightbreakers in!  I put those in and had no complaints.  Since then the Nightbreaker's %age increase is listed somewhat higher.  I think ours were "plus 50%".  I think that they now do a "plus 100%".
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

smurkenstein

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2019, 05:50:20 PM »
If your car is an 03-04 you might be on bi-xenons where the main beam is actually xenon with a raised shutter (rather than halogen) - they really are excellent.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2019, 07:56:44 PM »
If your car is an 03-04 you might be on bi-xenons where the main beam is actually xenon with a raised shutter (rather than halogen) - they really are excellent.

Headlamps are all the same from 03-07, so if you had Xenon lamps you have a shutter for the Xenon bit for dip/high beam and a H7 bulb. Incredibly effective although these days I don't often get a chance to use main beams as there seems to be so much more traffic on the roads apart from when in deepest darkest areas.