Author Topic: Cleaning / degreasing your engine - recommendations?  (Read 1295 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Cleaning / degreasing your engine - recommendations?
« on: 03 July 2022, 11:01:15 AM »
I have an oil leak on the Aero that seems to be getting a bit worse. I want to try and clean the affected areas so we can see where the leak is coming from, but all the cleaners/degreasers I have seen seem to require jet washing after use to rinse the surface off.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which product is best to use for this, and are there any that don't need rinsing off with water after? I just need to get the worst off for now.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Cleaning / degreasing your engine - recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2022, 01:12:21 PM »
I've used Gunk.  A gentle hose and a brush will get it off.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2022, 06:33:06 PM »
Brake cleaner is the best, you can buy it by the litre, then use a spray bottle to apply it

The proper Wurth bottle is about £20 on ebay, 5 litres was about £12 last time I bought some

Usually clean the sump before every MOT ;)
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2022, 09:54:31 PM »
Most common "oil" leaks on a 9-3 are brake booster and power steering pump. Both are on the right hand side of the engine (as viewed from the front). Power steering pump can be fixed by replacing the seal (unless you crack the reservoir like i did) and the brake booster is pretty much easily fixed by just replacing it with a brand new one.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2022, 09:53:35 PM »
Hi Audax, the oil leak came up on the MOT, although not regarded as serious. Apparently it is on the right hand side of the engine (as viewed from the driver's seat), and is coming from something that has three bolts holding it onto the engine.

At some point I want to raise the car up and have a proper look and take a pic because I'm going off other people's descriptions, but does that ring any bells?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2022, 10:21:15 AM »
That sounds weird, I can't think of anything bolted on to that side of the engine. I'm reasonably certain they mean on the right hand side of the engine if you're standing in front of the car and that it's going to be the vacuum pump or power steering pump but I think they're 2 bolts not 3.