Author Topic: CPS on the way out?  (Read 4023 times)

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
CPS on the way out?
« on: 12 September 2015, 07:40:26 PM »
Hi

I've had two occasions where the engine simply wont start, turns over fine but no ignition.
Both occasions the car had started fine from cold, popped into a shop of similar, came out 20 to 30 mins later and it wouldn't go.

First time my Mrs was driving and I thought it might just be the immobiliser not kicking in as her key has been asking for a new battery for nearly two years now (one of those things that keeps slipping my mind  ::) ). Tried my key and still no go, locked and unlocked the car, tried a few more times and it started just fine.

Second time was today we were in the dreaded Ikea for a good 45mins, came out and it wouldn't start. Gave it a few tries and eventually it fired up.. This time it was my key which has a new battery in it..

From what I've read it sounds like classic early signs of the CPS going. I've read a few post about measuring the resistance across pins 1 and 2 but some state you need to wave a magnet in front of it to test properly and others don't. Also read this still isn't a fool proof test for the sensor.
Would somebody be able to kindly clarify what a valid test is, if there is one?

Cheers
D

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
Re: CPS on the way out?
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2015, 07:42:33 PM »
might help if i search this forum before I post  :o

http://www.saabtechtalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2500.msg21567#msg21567

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2015, 09:30:02 PM »
That procedure is correct, you do not need to wave a magnet around anything.  :)

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2015, 08:07:25 PM »
Cheers Audax

968 ohms, new genuine Saab part ordered for £63. Now just a matter of fitting it.
I've read (again) some headache stories about the torx bolt holding the sensor being a nightmare to get to. I've had a good look at the job and frankly it doesn't look too bad to me, the right socket and a it should be out - famous last words!

D

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2015, 08:55:09 PM »
I've never had a problem removing a cps, but you're right some people do. Just make sure you have the right size torx bit.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2015, 08:37:42 AM »
Access to the bolt is generally more difficult if you have a 3" downpipe.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2015, 09:16:59 PM »
thanks for the encouragement Mark :)
If it is taking up too much room it's not too much bother to drop it down and out of the way. And I've got a couple of other things to check on the underside whilst I'm at it, so could always try to tackle it from underneath.

D

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2015, 02:13:33 PM »
well that took all of 20mins..
Started to tackle it from the top and realised very quickly there was no access for my smallest ratchet with short extender. Quite right Mark the 3" DP was just taking up too much room.
Decided to drop the DP down so got the car on axil stands, crawled underneath and discovered I could easily get to it without removing the DP. Took 10mins tops from that point, the torx head bolt was not tight at all.

Also discovered all three bolts on the TBO exhaust to DP flange had worked they way lose so replaced them all with a set of coneloc type nuts that I'd been meaning to fit for a while ..

And all done just before it started peeing down..  :)

D