Author Topic: New 9000 acquisition  (Read 8667 times)

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Re: New 9000 acquisition
« Reply #15 on: 10 September 2023, 07:21:37 PM »
Base
Collector
Emitter

Should be 0.7V on a diode test between B-E. Odds are it's NPN to positive from the multimeter on base, negative on collector. Base is most probably the middle of the 3 legs. If you get zero ohms across any of the 2, odds are it's shot.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 September 2023, 06:50:34 PM »
Looks like a good call, the adjacent transistor is indeed toast, showing 0.024v from both emitter & collector to base

Next challenge will be to identify the replacement components. It seems that in the 30 years since the 9000 was made component design has changed quite a bit, I'm pretty close on the resistors, though the rating & physical size don't seem to match these days. The transistor looks more challenging, but I'll see where I can get to

In other new the IAC has been removed & cleaned & idle is now working correctly.

I also acquired a voltage regulator & fitted that to the alternator. Auto electrician said "are you sure that's the problem".... wise words. It wasn't the easy solution, I have now removed the alternator, done some reading around including this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVPoI5wgZ4o which describes how to test, in some computerised voice which is a little offputting. However, by repoving the rectifier pack I have been able to identify that one of the diodes has failed as it is showing current to pass both ways

Second hand alternator seems the solution, as the rectifier pack is the best part of £40, and while I was intending to simply replace the diode the crimped construction is going to make that difficult
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2023, 10:14:16 PM »
Used alternator fitted, I took the opportunity to refresh the voltage reg/brushes from the existing alternator as they were considerably longer. Now producing a healthy 14.5 volts

There was a horn loose in the back of the car, just the one, with no electrical connectors. The bracket having previously been painted up was the recipient of a s/h pair of horn today, and now makes the noise the MOT man will expect. Headlights are fully fitted, and now the grille in the middle finishes the front end off.

I got sucked into some bodywork, as a consequence of doing the alternator. The rubber trim on the wheelarch strip was loose. Removing that, and the wheel arch liner to get access to the belt. Naturally, the top part of the wheelarch wing was 100% rust, with rust above, so I set about inserting some fresh metal and treating/painting the wing. That's still in progress, but I'm not far off having a reasonable finish on the wing

As I had the paint, I also set about doing the scuffs on both corners of the rear bumper. Then I realised the front right also had a scuff and the rubber bellows looked out of position. After the usual battles with rusty bolts, especially the blind ones, I managed to get enough bits removed to permit realignment of the minor damage to the front mounting points.

Another big job today was cleaning & fitting a pair of rear headrests which I realised were missing from the car

I still need to identify the transistor for the original SRS unit. After that she needs some air in a couple of the tryes, some fuel  & it'll be time to see what the MOT man thinks....
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2023, 09:03:46 AM »
Sounds like good progress!  I’ve done almost nothing on our cars since June.  A couple of car show weekends, a heavy cold, a family bereavement involving a lot of trips to North Nottingham, then SWMBO got shingles.  Hoping for better now.  There’s a few things to do on cosmetics, but I’ll be leaving the airbag issues and engine vibration to Joe. He should be back from his holidays this week.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 September 2023, 10:22:18 PM »
Sounds like a pretty poor summer for you, let's hope Autumn is kinder.

Bodywork is harder than it looks, especially when you are trying to teach yourself to "blend" new paint into an exiting panel. Paint, rub down, repaint, pinholes, rub down repaint.....

Anyway, the car (and the 9-5 twin) are scheduled for MOT's on Wednesday, so regardless of finish, the wheelarch trim is going back on tomorrow

I have identified that the blind bodywork fixings that hold plastic bits in place on Saabs are called jack nuts or spider nuts. I need one, but decided to order 20 for £6 delivered, Not bad when the Saab list price is £3.38 each and they are on 10 day backorder

The working (I hope it still is) SRS unit will be going back in the car tomorrow. I have asked someone with a much better camera than me to take a photo of the circuit board to be able to see the markings on the failed transistor. The ones that are OK are marked "1B3". The failed one is less clear A4, 44, something else ???

Any ideas?

The image is rotated 180 degrees from the other photos orientations
« Last Edit: 18 September 2023, 11:25:12 PM by carrera »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 September 2023, 09:53:44 AM »
On the NG 9-3 a lot of the internal trims are fixed with “well nuts”.  These are expanding rubber bungs with a threaded brass centre.  I bought a pack of 5 from eBay last week after the windscreen pillar trim came loose.  Checking the Saab Parts price never entered my mind…

The well nuts look as if they do exactly the same thing as the jack nut, but less susceptible to corrosion. 
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 September 2023, 10:08:58 AM »
Hmm.... I discovered well nuts while I was trying to find out if I could get some non Saab fixings.

I'm a bit of a sucker for originality, even though I saw that the nut was made of brass. They are usually specified on bikes apparently, but now I know about the 9-3 use I'm suffering from a bit of buyers regret. A dab of coppaslip might have the necessary anti rust characteristics

This mornings lesson was that unless you have an oven, using a polisher the next day tends to destroy the paint you applied yesterday. Too many coats by the look of things too. Oh well

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 September 2023, 11:35:13 AM »
The only use I've found for the well nuts on the 9-3 is behind the "Airbag" plugs on the A & C pillar trims.  That's internal, but I can't see why they shouldn't be external as well.

I bought them because the one at the front split and the trim came off.  Probably overtightened by me when fitting the rear camera.  And ditto when running the cable through to the rear for the camera, I lost one well nut "down inside".

JTC

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 September 2023, 11:28:29 AM »
Good luck with the MOT on the 9k

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 September 2023, 10:24:05 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes.... she failed

Some simple stuff: Wiper blades (yes really), number plates deteriorated, hazard warning lights not working (think they were, but the button is behind the dash  :o, bonnet cannot be secured closed (but it is)  ???

A couple of brakes were binding slightly, with advisories for front discs (was aware, but wanted to know if there were any major issues), so I may as well do front discs & pads now. Apparently the front headlight reflectors are deteriorated. Aren't they all  :)

One major item though. brake pipe leaking above the fuel tank. I think it was OK until I did some exuberant brake testing before taking it for the MOT. ABS was activated, so peak pressure achieved  :Fawlty:

Not so bad for a car that has been off the road for 11 years

It's just dawned on me that I'm going to have to bleed the brakes. Bleed nipples in stock, as all 4 looked crusty. I hope it comes out without breaking

« Last Edit: 20 September 2023, 10:29:54 PM by carrera »

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 September 2023, 11:05:22 PM »
  :o, bonnet cannot be secured closed (but it is)  ???

I decided to investigate this today, as there's nothing wrong. Went to the release handle and it was already fully extended  ::)

Looks like I need to try this

https://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?t=187793

I'm pretty sure I dropped the bonnet all the way down when the car was on the trailer, & released it when I put the car on the ramp.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 September 2023, 11:44:30 AM »
Curious...

Cable was intact, the clamping nipples were both about an inch out of position. Seems like I must have released the bonnet when I brought the car back by moving the lock levers manually, as there was a headlight & grille missing. Moved them into the correct position and all working correctly.  Juggling the grille so it could be removed after the screws were out proved to be the biggest challenge

New number plates & wiper blades fitted. Front discs / pads on order and having discovered that the hazard switch is common between the 9000 and 9-5 I raided my parts stash. The one in the car was perfectly functional, the plastic outer rim seemed to be broken off. I have glued it so now have an emergency spare (well, at least one)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 October 2023, 09:33:46 PM »
I have been keeping busy

Replaced discs & pads at the front. Took a deep breath & took the rear calipers off & used the pad wind back mechanism to free off the rear discs that were binding a bit

Preparing for the brake line change, decided to tackle the bleed nipple on OSR. That went as expected, managed to remove the flexi connection from the caliped by using mole grips.whih meant I could drill & retap the bleed nipple with the larger M8 variety. Reassembled and was wondering if there actually was a brake pipe issue.

There was, but it only showed itself with a long hard press, so fuel tank out. At which point I discovered that the defective pipe was for NSR  ::)

So, repeated the exercise, except this time the connector to the flexi would not undo, so I went through the process of drilling it out. Having done that I discovered that I don't have an M10 x 1.0 tap for the brake fittings.  ???. The one local place that would have them individually has decided to go online only and the trade counter has shut. That's annoying. However, a quick search on Saabits showed that a new one was less that a tenner so got one sent next day delivery

Finished the day off by installing the new brake line, fitting a new fuel filter & reinstalling the fuel tank. That will mean all I have to do for the retest is fit the flexi

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 October 2023, 12:05:10 AM »
Seems it's coming on well. :)

I haven't done any major work on brakes or engines for years.  I try to avoid getting seriously oily these days. The last time I did a major engine rebuild, I got serious dermatitis which took a year or two to clear up! :o

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 October 2023, 12:17:53 AM »
The new rear flexi arrived today. Shorter than the original, so routing is a little different & despite concerns on the fittings they were an absolutely perfect fit

After bleeding the rear brakes, took it for an MOT today & she passed with 3 advisories. I'm not concerned about a tyre that's getting to the time for replacement, or a couple of ARB bushes with a bit of play

MOT guy complimented me on the quality of the brake pipe work & said that the brakes were absolutely spot on

I suppose I should get insurance sorted & dig deep for some more road tax, let the old girl stretch her legs for the first time in 11 years