Author Topic: Cleaning your black plastic!!!!  (Read 3767 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Cleaning your black plastic!!!!
« on: 08 March 2018, 10:30:42 PM »
The dash on the pre facelift 9-3ss is a bit on the dour black plastic side. Shame there was no option to change it like the old 9-3 and the 9-5 (walnut, brushed metal, carbon fibre finish etc).

Looks OK though, and mine benefits from not having white bits where the black finish has worn off the buttons!!!

However, I was wondering how you boys clean and polish up your black plastic, and what you use?
« Last Edit: 09 March 2018, 09:53:20 AM by Steve McF »

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Re: Cleaning your black plastic!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2018, 08:49:26 PM »
I use Mr Sheen on internal items. If stuff is very mucky I use Meguiars All Purpose cleaner (Halfrauds).
If its external black panels there is an awesome product that I think either Sgould or Petemate pointed me to, a product called Forever Black. This stuff really does the best job on external panels.

FOREVER BLACK found here

Megs APC found here Note Meguiars APC needs to be diluted - so a 5L quantity will last you a lifetime. I use it everywhere door shuts to upholstery. It really is good
« Last Edit: 13 March 2018, 09:01:40 PM by Max Headroom »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2018, 12:16:39 AM »
That must have been Petemate.  I use AutoGlym Black Dye on externals.

On internal stuff, I just use a damp cloth.  Thing iside don't need to be shiny. If they are shiny, you can get reflections in the windscreen.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2018, 08:34:23 AM »
I really only use Mr Sheen because I like its anti-static properties which seem to work. If Icould find another anti-static product that had less chance of making things shiny I would use it instead.

Because I love driving around with the roof down whenever the weather permits (and sometimes even when it doesn't permit!) this accrues a whole lot of grime inside the car. I too don't like shiny trim inside, so I really only spray Mr.Sheen onto a very soft microfibre cloth, and very lightly and gently, pick up the dust from between the buttons and switches and anywhere else it gets to. The rest of the interior is cleaned conventionally with a damp cloth and Gliptone.