Author Topic: Power steering moaning at low speeds  (Read 8201 times)

davidguthrie

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • Saab 9-3 2.0T (2004) convertible owner
    • View Profile
Power steering moaning at low speeds
« on: 09 May 2018, 09:18:10 PM »
My steering makes an intermittent low, moaning sound at low speeds (or is it just that I only notice it at low speeds?)
Any ideas on what may be causing it ... and whether a fix will be expensive?
(2004 Saab 9-3 Vector convertible 2.0t)
David Guthrie

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Power steering moaning at low speeds
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2018, 10:20:49 PM »
Have you checked the oil level and colour of the oil? The seal on the end of the pump can fail so that the power steering fluid gets contaminated with engine oil. Thankfully that is a cheap and easy fix as the seal can be replaced. There is also a sensor wire on top of the pump to tell the engine to give more power at low speed, might want to make sure it's connected.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2018, 10:28:26 PM »

Intermittent snags are the worst and always take an age to figure out what they are.
I had a horrendous whining noise in my car that was quite intermittent, but I finally figured out that it only ever happened when my wife was in the passenger seat.

davidguthrie

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2018, 10:35:20 PM »
Many thanks, Audax. I shall have my trusty mechanic check that lot out since it's due in for a pre-journey check and tune-up.
Oooh, Max/Mark, you are a one! ;D
Incidentally, Max/Mark, I am really enjoying this motor. Any excuse to nip up to Alnwick or down to Morpeth, usually via many twisting country lanes many miles from the direct (A1) route (i.e. the top-down route) and that thar draught excluder of yourn works a treat! :)
David Guthrie

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2018, 10:52:23 AM »
Off topic for a moment to reply to Dave...

Hi Dave, you seem to have been away from the forum for ages.

I'm very pleased that you are making great use of the draught excluder/wind-break accessory and finding it to be effective.
Hopefully thi s will mean you will be able to enjoy the car during the winter months with the roof open too, and not just be a summer open air motorist. I actually preferred driving it on those wonderful clear-skied sunny winter days as you arent subject to the scorching sun! You just need a good coat with a high collar and some thin but warm leather gloves such as THESE, although I use THIS TYPE as the thin padding on the backs assists in keeping the hands warm.

There may be a way of slightly improving the draught exclusion on that wind/break; I thought of doing something but never got around to it.
If you could somehow reduce or even completely eliminate the gap between the seats/trim and the edges of the frame of the wind-break, I am 90% certain you will significantly get a lot less cold air around your legs.
I thought about using some of that grey foam used for lagging pipes to try and make the gap smaller - I just never did it and I wish I had tried.
If you try it just be careful not to damage the mesh - even foam rubbing on the mesh might wear a hole in it so you could use something like that low-adhesive blue masking tape on the mesh to protect it from the foam. 

Just a thought.

Sorry to go off topic!
« Last Edit: 10 May 2018, 11:08:59 AM by Max Headroom »

davidguthrie

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2018, 11:03:19 AM »
Yes, Mark, I do indeed plan to go lid-free in all seasons and the windbreak will be a boon!
Nifty idea, that, about the lagging! I shall conjure with it - always up for a bit of bodging.
As to STT attendance, I actually look in here most days. An extraordinary source of info!
David Guthrie

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2018, 11:12:09 AM »
Above link fixed for "my type of gloves" somehow both links were the same  ::)
You might also need a hat - I forgot that - I  certainly need one in the Jimny - having the roof open in winter the cold air skims the top of my head, freezing it :o

Also if you lower the roof make sure its dry before doing so - I used those big blue fluffy microfiber towels with the red stitching around the edges (I think Halfrauds sell them now) for the sole purpose of drying off the roof before lowering ot to go to / from work  ;)
Im sure there may also be a temperature restriction on operating the roof if OAT is < -4C but you'll need to look in the handbook for that
« Last Edit: 10 May 2018, 11:19:11 AM by Max Headroom »

davidguthrie

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2018, 11:21:25 AM »
I have some really nice leather Christmas present gloves, thanks, but I do hark back to the string-backed pair I had when I ran my 1962 Hillman Super Minx! Now that was a motor car!
For headgear I have a Musto peaked cap with a nifty strap you attach to your shirt collar in case of wayward gusts. Does the job.
David Guthrie

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2018, 11:37:50 AM »
NO! Not the string-backed gloves!  :o

Heheh - I had some of those in the early days of driving the MG around. I think they would look right if youre driving an open 1950s car but they never provided much warmth.
I think I only bought them because I remembered my dad had similar gloves in the '60's

I have an outrageous fur balaclava hat a bit like  THIS ONE! but obviously a mans version!
« Last Edit: 10 May 2018, 04:40:23 PM by Max Headroom »

davidguthrie

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2018, 02:46:39 PM »
Yeah! Style or what! They were good for doing manual demists, mind. But the Saab's screen is too far to reach properly for that!
David Guthrie

aerojon

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2018, 05:29:19 PM »
the fluid for the saab power steering is CHF11S,don't let him just chuck anything in,to top it up..

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2018, 05:35:02 PM »
CHF11S has been superseded by CHF202.  It mixes.  The CHF 202 is much the same but is a bit better at high temperature.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

davidguthrie

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2018, 06:31:10 PM »
Thanks all. I've checked the level and, though a bit black, it's okay.Noted that the spec has changed, thanks, aerojon.
If I wanted to replace the existing oil, is there a drain plug or would I haveto syphon it out?
Howsoe'er, while fannying about with steering wheel reach and rake, I found that, if I shifted the rake down an inch - hey presto, no moaning! All's well that ends well.
[/font]
David Guthrie

aerojon

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2018, 07:16:11 PM »
it shouldn't be black the psf is green..black is not good..

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2018, 07:59:56 PM »
I suspect that the O ring seal between the pump and the camshaft has failed and engine oil is in the fluid...
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.