Author Topic: Cracked dashboard fix  (Read 6694 times)

SaabCrazee

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
Cracked dashboard fix
« on: 20 July 2011, 03:06:47 PM »
The dashboard in my 91 Turbo Conv is cracked very badly... Apparently, it spent much of it's life in the Colorado sunshine. Anyway... I was doing some research on the web, when I found a link to Palco Industries from the Saabsite.com. They make a dashboard insert/cover out of a semi-rigid vinyl or ABS that looks great (almost can't tell it's not the stock dashboard). It does require minor trimming (mostly on the windshield facing edge and corners, but it fits very nicely. I did the trimming with my Dremel and a thin cutting disk, and some edge smoothing with a sanding wheel. It comes with a tube of adhesive and instructions to glue the cover to your dashboard. From my experience, I think I'll keep the tube of glue, just in case, but the cover lays down flat and fits tight, so I'm not going to glue it unless I need to later. Although the instructions did not specifically say so, I would imagine the piece is paintable to match (it comes in a charcoal color). I highly recommend this product to spruce up your dashboard.

It is a bit pricey... a little over $180.00 with shipping, but if your dashboard is toasty like mine, this is a good way to help bring your interior back to "like new" condition.

I envy you guys in GB and Northern Europe/Scandanavia... Dashboards there seem to last much longer with a minimum of effort.

Cheers,

Jim

James

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Linear
  • Number of thanks: 3
  • 1994 C900 Convertible
    • View Profile
Re: Cracked dashboard fix
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2011, 06:06:05 PM »
Got any pictures?  Mine has a not-so-tasteful carpet mat on top of the dash, which does at least keep the sun off.

Don't envy us Brits too much - my last 'vert was as rusty as a very rusty thing.  At least the current one has no rot (nor will it, if I can keep it out of the DC winter!)

Revvers

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2011, 08:37:09 PM »
Anyone know of a right hand version?

SaabCrazee

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
No pictures yet James... Taking some of the car this afternoon and will snap a pic of the dash.

Jim