Author Topic: AN IMPORTANT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL 9-3 OWNERS!!  (Read 22932 times)

Simon_C

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
AN IMPORTANT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL 9-3 OWNERS!!
« on: 19 October 2011, 11:46:31 PM »
Don't forget to make sure that you are using sufficiently strong washer fluid before this cold, freezing weather sets in!
Otherwise you'll end up joining the annual winter club of needing to replace the washer pump and fuse...  ::)

If your not sure if its strong enough, I'd either fill it up using the pre-mixed stuff or even topping up the bottle with concentrate.

However if your now reading this because your washer bottle and jets have now unfrozen and still not working, check the following:
 - Firstly check Fuse 22 in the under bonnet fuse box. This usually blows first.
 - Also double check that the reservoir has defrosted. The washer bottle is a 5l container - larger than normal for a lot of cars and takes quite a bit of time before it defrosts fully.
 - If after changing the fuse, it keeps blowing, you've likely killed your washer pump. Here is a guide to replacing the washer pump: http://www.2shared.com/document/j0bov2cL/Washer_Pump_Replacement.html. Not a terribly tricky job, and is perfectly doable by someone capable of holding a screw driver (you can probably get away without removing the wheel, just put it on full lock). Replacement pumps can either be had from dealer, local motor factor or eBay - for usually around the £20 mark.

Cheers,
Si.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Re: AN IMPORTANT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL 9-3 OWNERS!!
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2011, 09:18:05 AM »
Thanks for that timely reminder Simon.  ;)

I use the Halfrauds one that is not pre mixed. I would like to add to Simons points, that I have used the pre-mixed variety and had it freeze up on me here in the Cotswold hills, so I never use it now.

I dilute the neat stuff to varying strengths depending on which direction the weather is going - strongish for Autumn, topping up with neat stuff until it's almost fully neat for Winter, then diluting it as we come into Spring.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2011, 09:51:28 AM »
With the six large diameter jets on a Saab, you will find that you get through more washer fluid than you expect!! :)

I found that the Halfords pre-mix was OK for me here in Sleepy Hollow where the temperatures are usually 4 or 5 degrees below the figures on the weather maps.  I'm 250 ft above sea level but in a shallow valley below Bushey Heath.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

chris aka zaphod

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • GWS, Bristol
    • View Profile
    • Great Western Saabs
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
Timely reminder - thanks.

My windscreen pump packed in over the summer, but I swapped the windscreen/headlight pumps over (finally) this week, and replenished with a 50/50 mix. Still scouting for a decent replacement pump, at a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: 20 October 2011, 09:55:28 AM by chris aka zaphod »

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2011, 09:57:42 AM »
I thought that too Sgould, but I have about 25 Ltrs of it stashed away in my garage, and I'm likely to be in the Middle East from end of Jan to end of Mar so won't be using it then.
I don't do huge mileage anyway so I'm not concerned, however I do realize that some people on the road all day long would get through stacks of it.
So far I'm impressed with those six washer jets - the most efficient on any car I've owned - seems better than the Citroen misting system too

Edit: Part of the reason I don't use the pre-mixed stuff (apart from it freezing) is that I think it works out cheaper buying it neat
« Last Edit: 20 October 2011, 09:59:53 AM by Trenchfoot »

philmots

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 1
  • 9-3 2.8T Aero ~ 300hp/390lbft
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2011, 05:31:15 PM »
I pick up the Holts stuff (to dilute) from Costco... I use it 1/4 priduct 3/4 water and it seems un-freezible!

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2011, 08:40:10 PM »
Best value for money stuff I've found is the GM Opticlear in a 5l container, neat it will be good for down for well below -30! Although at the moment I'm using Comma Super Concentrate which is good down to -65 when used neat  :o

The Comma stuff is currently £4 at Halfords for 1l but they have an offer for buy 3 and get the cheapest item free. Apparently it may also be called xstream.
« Last Edit: 22 October 2011, 08:41:56 PM by quinophex »

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2011, 11:05:52 PM »
I've always made screen wash far more potent than it probably needs to be but I figure it's one of the most essential parts of the car to be able to see where you're going.

It actually amazes me how many people have rubbish wipers and don't put screen wash in their washer bottle. I get to drive many cars because of work and see how bad their wipers are, it's not uncommon for me to take a car out for a road test and find the screen is filthy inside and out, only to use the wipers and find it makes things far far worse!

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2011, 09:23:27 AM »
Drives me nuts - my wife never cleans the glass on her car, and if  I set off after dark in it.... AAAARRRGGHH!  >:(

As for glass cleaners - I like Meguiars - smells ok too. I clean it with that blue paper used in workshops and it comes out gleaming and smear-free