Author Topic: Some TLC  (Read 4638 times)

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 30
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
Some TLC
« on: 05 April 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
Spent some quality time on the old girl today.

New gas struts for the tailgate, (don't even think about buying these in the Interweb...don't ask...)
New starter motor
New dummy aerial
Front right under-bumper trim.
And a wash.

Nu2sabbie

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Some TLC
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2013, 09:50:12 PM »
hi my dummy Ariel is disintegrating. how do you replace it?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2013, 10:31:44 PM »
I think that you have a 9-5 estate.

If so,  get in under the headlining through the tailgate.  Undo the two quarter turn plastic fixings in the headlining.  Pull off the plastic trim around the back of the headlining.  It all pulls off.  Take off just enough to allow you to reach in.

Sharks fin is held by one 22mm nut.

I have some random pictures of my shark fin replacement are here.  I replaced mine with a radio aerial with added GPS and DAB.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2013, 10:35:12 PM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

SaabGeeza

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2013, 08:11:43 PM »
I replaced mine (with a gen Saab part) 3 or 4 years ago. It wasn't hard to do, but the replacement is already looking less than A1. They would appear to be a consumable item, cosmetically!

Note to self- use some Amorall type product on it in future...

dw

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2013, 10:44:01 AM »
Squirrels eat the sharks fin.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2013, 04:19:37 PM »
Squirrel is quite tasty though.....

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2013, 12:42:34 AM »
Given that the mobile phone of today vastly supercedes the car phone of 2002, I just disconnected the aerial and popped on a silver painted dummy shark fin that cost around 8 'pinds' on the Bay. My car is silver and it looks really quite good. Amazing how much better about the car we feel now as a result. I suppose it is so visible, and every time you walk up to it your eye Always goes straight to the fin.

Did the headlights again too today. 1 hour very well spent. Try the Turtle Wax kit people. They came up like new. Seriously. The trick is the little foam pads and the UV sealer. I did my own job a fair while back, (see SS forum) and it lasted pretty well for a few years, but oxidised again. Not that I ever expected it to be 100% 3 years later but I never used a sealer then. Given that they issue a glove to put it on with, I figure that it must be rather toxic and worth the money! It came up very nicely. No fine scratches visible at all.
Spent the better part of a whole day driving about Melbourne chasing up kitchen renovation things.

Update on the Gas Struts. Wow! How strong they are! Just stand back and hold on to the door as it takes off. Dropping it down requires a fair pull and by the time it latches shut there is virtually no load on the door at all. You then get the true feeling that the engineers lined up the leverage points in the roof for exactly that reason.

Interestingly, the BMW E39 Wagon also has the same hidden strut system. Must have copied the 9-5 for sure. Hate to think how much that would cost to replace too on the Propeller Car. All up the 9-5 struts cost me $180, for the German Lip (QH) variety and I am very happy with the result. Wondered why the two of us had sore shoulders and now we know!

The Linear Sport Estate has now covered 180,000km and is coming up to 12 years old. What is fantastic down this end of the planet is that brilliant blend of practicality and space in the cabin, and 200HP that blows the doors off most cars when one needs to do so. Don't underestimate the great design and engineering that went into the 9-5 wagon. I have been looking at other offerings (just to see) but nothing really fits the bill and the 9-5 keeps ticking all the boxes for so many reasons. Not least of all that the doors shut like a bank vault and it actually is a decent looking thing.  She who drives it day to day really loves it too.

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2013, 12:02:49 PM »
Just bought a dummy fin for mine. Hopefully it will just stick over the old one?

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
Yesterday I got the vacuum out and gave the cabin a good going-over. Does anyone think like me that the car runs better when it's all clean inside?

SaabGeeza

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
Yesterday I got the vacuum out and gave the cabin a good going-over. Does anyone think like me that the car runs better when it's all clean inside?

Of course it does- less weight to be carried around!

Cleaning grime from the normally-hidden edges of the doors obviously has the same benefit  :)

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2013, 01:17:34 PM »
I have been looking at other offerings (just to see) but nothing really fits the bill and the 9-5 keeps ticking all the boxes for so many reasons.

Me2.  Can't even think of particularly good reasons to go to a later 1.9Tid from my 2.2 apart from the noise levels!
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2013, 10:12:38 AM »
I think the challenge is to keep the car in very good condition and to be on it as soon as things need attending to. That includes washing it and I have always subsrcibed to the 'wash it and it drives better theory'. Lots of people do.
A bit of 'wet look' tyre gloss goes a long way. Try spraying the rubbing strip around the car and see what a difference it makes. Takes years of the car, mainly as the trim doesn't look grey and faded out.
The fuel filter got done today too. Starting trouble, first thing in the morning. Nothing getting through. $22 and 30 mins. Easy but smelly job. I had done the pump a while back and was concerned the pipe in the pickup had split. But no, it was fine. So fuel filter it was.
Hopefully it will behave first thing tomorrow morning.