Author Topic: Turbo Hose Popped Off  (Read 6336 times)

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
Turbo Hose Popped Off
« on: 25 April 2013, 11:21:40 AM »
The hose popped off the end of the turbo when booting it a bit along a back road.....

2009 9-5 estate 1.9TiD.

Big pop then no boost - thought I'd brokn the turbo!

Easy fix - just reconnected.

I've got the CEL/EML on. How do I reset without paying the dealer.... Is it just battery disconnect?

Thanks!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Turbo Hose Popped Off
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2013, 08:59:49 PM »
Battery disconnect should do it.  But also most go off after around 20 trouble-free "driving cycles".  A bit more than turning the ignition on and off 20 times.  You actually have to use the car.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

jmblack

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2013, 09:08:25 PM »
Thanks. Battery disconnected now. Otherwise ill wait 10 days!

jmblack

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2013, 08:24:07 AM »
Battery off overnight, but light still there - aargh. Wait for the 20 trips now....

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2013, 08:53:34 AM »
You may still have a fault.  You should get the codes read.  Driving may damage something.

If you don't want to pay a dealer, you could get a code reader.  I have an "Autop D900" from eBay and it can read and clear codes.  At least the codes that are generic ones.  The Saab specific codes are not accessed.  But it should do the engine stuff.

Costs about £30 and you can use it more than once! ;)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2013, 11:07:24 AM »
You may still have a fault.  You should get the codes read.  Driving may damage something.

If you don't want to pay a dealer, you could get a code reader.  I have an "Autop D900" from eBay and it can read and clear codes.  At least the codes that are generic ones.  The Saab specific codes are not accessed.  But it should do the engine stuff.

Costs about £30 and you can use it more than once! ;)

Think I may be in the market for one of those too as my 9-5 is in the garage now looking at the cause of a CEL and limp home mode. On Amazon for £27.99

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2013, 11:10:21 AM »
Will - does the reader come with the correct cable to use with Saabs?

jmblack

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2013, 11:56:35 AM »
Had it read and cleared today. Definitely just the fault that was repaired. Don't know why it didn't clear. I've been looking at a few readers, but not sure which to buy. Will have a look at these suggestions.

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2013, 12:10:07 PM »
Will - does the reader come with the correct cable to use with Saabs?

The one you linked to on Amazon appears to have the OBD-II cable, if you zoom in on the case you can see the lead is from a D-type connector to the OBD one at the far end. The description says it includes the cable. I notice that for BMW and Mercedes you have to buy an extra lead...

So it should be good for (2001 on petrol, 2004 on diesel) 9-5 and 9-3. (I think some people have had joy with '99 cars, but play it safe and assume petrol MY01 onward.) Although my '98 9-5 had the OBD connector it wasn't OBD-II compliant and wouldn't read. I managed to get some info out using the Op-Com clone, but wouldn't recommend it.

CProBox recorder is a nice tool, but the software to download data is flaky and crashes before it has completed. Updated software has been promised for two or three years but never appeared on the site.

OBDKey + Torque has been best combination so far for me, but if someone can say this D900 does other functions like headlamp leveling calibration on '04 Xenon, I'd buy one.

jmblack

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2013, 02:30:41 PM »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2013, 05:53:29 PM »
The one I bought works straight out of the box.  It does frighten you the first time though.  You put in the batteries and press the "on" switch.  Nothing happens.    I'm not sure what the batteries do, but it works as soon as you plug into the OBD socket and turn the ignition on.

It reads live values as you drive along too.  It works on my 9-5 and her 2003 9-3.  I don;t think it works on diesels before 2004 though.  Or at least, not all diesels had to comply with code reading before then.  Some Saab ones might have.....

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2013, 07:36:58 PM »
The one I bought works straight out of the box.  It does frighten you the first time though.  You put in the batteries and press the "on" switch.  Nothing happens.    I'm not sure what the batteries do, but it works as soon as you plug into the OBD socket and turn the ignition on.

From Amazon listing: 'Memorized result for later reviewing using internal battery power.'

I don't have access to the manual, so I can't tell you how to log the data and power it up for review.

stevetreacy

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 7
  • MY01 95 V6 Griffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2013, 09:02:57 PM »
Hi All,

I use an Autel MS509. More than paid for itself.

steve

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2013, 09:24:33 PM »
It reads live values as you drive along too.  It works on my 9-5 and her 2003 9-3.  I don;t think it works on diesels before 2004 though.  Or at least, not all diesels had to comply with code reading before then.  Some Saab ones might have.....

My 2003MY 9-5 2.2 TiD has a diagnostic socket and codes can be read from it - and Tech 2 works with it I believe.

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2013, 12:28:43 AM »
Oh, the socket is there OK, but whether it is OBD-II compliant or not is another issue! Tech2 of course works, as it is manufacturer's-own system, but standardised signalling on 2003 diesels is at the very least hit-and-miss.
I'm wondering if there is a definitive VIN break-point for that, some time during 2003? Mine appears to precede it, damn....
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.