Author Topic: Rear window tinting  (Read 9535 times)

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
Rear window tinting
« on: 18 May 2013, 04:48:42 PM »
Anyone had their rear windows tinted? I'm thinking about getting my 9-5 estate done, but not entirely sure. Would welcome any thoughts from anyone whose done it, or indeed anyone who thinks its a bad idea.

Seems a good idea for holiday in France to reduce glare on the kids DVD screens, make the stuff we leave in car when parked up less obvious and likewise for fully packed boot. I know it won't be invisible but at least not too much of an advert.

Thinking about 20% tints.

Also not sure how well film blends to the black surround on the rear windows?

Thanks

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Rear window tinting
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2013, 05:13:27 PM »
As long as you do the rear and rear side windows, you can go as dark as you like.  The windscreen and driver/passenger front doors can't take much without going beyond the allowable limit.

I think 35% is the limit and the standard glass is already at 25% (or 75% transparent)

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2013, 05:13:47 PM »
I've seen it done before so it looks almost "factory" but I must say I hate the way it looks as it makes the car look like a bit of a van. If you only want it for the one trip or are not that bothered you can probably fit the tint yourself for less than paying someone to do it. Of course the reason for wanting to do it for the sake of the kids is probably a good idea, It's something I might consider to stop the boy getting sick on long journeys but as he tends to throw up even if we drive 10 miles he'll probably stay on the joy-rides ;)

Richard_C

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2013, 07:21:02 PM »
I had an untinted (apart from standard) 9-5 estate and now run a tinted citroen C5 estate.  Second hand so it came with it I didn't ask for it.

Advantages, looks cool, maybe keeps some glare out on very brights days. Looks great after a wash if you chamois the windows. Disadvantages, too dark for normal days in this country, makes it hard to see when reversing in the dark, other drivers can't see through from front or back.  Harder to see exactly what's following you at night.  Bikes can disappear from view in the dark.

On balance the disadvantages outweigh the advantages in everyday uk road use, for me, but its a personal thing.  If a car comes with it fine, but I wouldn't pay to get it done. 

Hired a Chevy equinox in the states last year, by chance a top spec one, had very dark rear and rear sides, a liability.  Couldn't see to manoeuvre at night or in enclosed car parks.  Fortunately if you pressed the right button the radio screen relayed a picture from a camera in the boot lid otherwise I might have been parking by ear.

I had some grey mesh shades with a single sucker in the middle when children were young, just blooped it onto side windows when needed.  Cost a few shillings.

jmblack

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2013, 08:23:51 PM »
Aesthetically can't decide if it looks good or like a van....

Do wonder if it'll make the wraparound rear window look good.....

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2013, 07:09:47 PM »
Disadvantages, too dark for normal days in this country, makes it hard to see when reversing in the dark, other drivers can't see through from front or back.  Harder to see exactly what's following you at night.  Bikes can disappear from view in the dark.

I must say, as driver/biker/cyclist/ped I really notice this - dark tints seem to me to make the world of traffic much more challenging; I'm amazed dark tinting is legal given how regulated motoring is (though no doubt some of the tints one sees aren't).

Richard_C

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
Indeed, but as you can't fine people using an unmanned camera/revenue generator it's all too much trouble for plod to stop the all black tinted even the drivers window but must have ersatz xenon lights lowered big bore exhaust teenage yobs that buzz pointlessly through the 'burbs.  I suppose the empty see through brains are regarded as compensation for non see through windows where it matters.

Are all those super tinted Addison Lee ford galaxy taxis (sorry, private hire vehicles)in London transporting drug dealers or super-secret spooks?

Wonder, does non original darkness count as a cosmetic change and will your insurer use tintedness to wriggle out of a payout if you do bend it?

Rant over.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2013, 08:11:46 PM »
Richard, Richard, calm down, put the kettle on and make a nice up of tea.

...but you're right !!!

jmblack

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2013, 09:11:10 PM »
I wasn't planning to paint them black! There's a massive range of tints from 50% light transmission to 5% so can't judge by drug dealer looks.

Anyone had it done to a Saab?

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2013, 09:19:29 AM »
The front screen must pass 75% of light, front windows 70%. IIRC factory tint allows about 80% of light through.

Rear- no rules. For me, it's akin to completely filling the estate with stuff so you can't see out. At that point you use your door mirrors...

Petemate

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2013, 09:25:52 AM »
Perhaps a good idea to check with insurers - some of them actually increase the premiums, don't know why...

philg

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2013, 09:56:45 AM »
Perhaps a good idea to check with insurers - some of them actually increase the premiums, don't know why...

Indeed. I had tints on my saloon and the premium went up about £30.

MikeIOW

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2013, 08:36:56 PM »
Don't think I would do it.
I actually *do* like the aesthetic look of them - we have them on our SMax (titanium model had 'em as standard) - they do keep things hidden from view when parked up, and they do look cool (even on an uncool bus like that!)....
......BUT as several have said they are a liability at night !!!

jmblack

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2013, 09:22:33 PM »
Think I've decided not to bother...

Thanks for comments.

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2013, 01:18:51 PM »
I believe he has seen the light, brothers and sisters!
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.