Author Topic: Auxillary belt tensioner - 2.2 TiD  (Read 7505 times)

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
Auxillary belt tensioner - 2.2 TiD
« on: 01 August 2013, 12:37:55 PM »
At the next service (the 144k mile one) the auxillary belt needs changing and my garage man recommends a new belt tensioner. The cost of a genuine Saab one is around the £87 mark, GSF is around the £55 mark but on that well know internet auction site they are been sold at around £27-29. Now I know that most components are bought in and I'm sure that Saab never made their own as the part number is a GM number - 9180809.

Has anyone come across any pitfalls or problems with using non GM parts? 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Auxillary belt tensioner - 2.2 TiD
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2013, 02:22:26 PM »
Try quoting that number to a Vauxhall dealer.  It may well be cheaper and the same GM part.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2013, 02:26:07 PM »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2013, 06:34:46 PM »

Has anyone come across any pitfalls or problems with using non GM parts?  [/font][/size]

Loads, buy cheap, buy twice. That isn't to say that there aren't many good after market parts but you want to buy named brands who were likely suppliers to Saab in the first place. So often I've known people to buy cheap parts that fail within a year, once when working in the trade we bought a load of suspension bushes after market as the Saab ones were 4x the price and out of stock, within a year we'd had to replace every single one under warranty as the quality was so poor they failed within months.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2013, 07:38:07 AM »

Has anyone come across any pitfalls or problems with using non GM parts?  [/font][/size]

Loads, buy cheap, buy twice. That isn't to say that there aren't many good after market parts but you want to buy named brands who were likely suppliers to Saab in the first place. So often I've known people to buy cheap parts that fail within a year, once when working in the trade we bought a load of suspension bushes after market as the Saab ones were 4x the price and out of stock, within a year we'd had to replace every single one under warranty as the quality was so poor they failed within months.

I am well aware that buy cheap = buy rubbish, which is the reason we own a Dualit toaster rather than a £20 one which has to be thrown away every year!  I am of an age when you could mend a car with a screwdriver and a 7/16 AF spanner and when you bought parts we had a component industry that made good quality parts and you couldn't go wrong with Quinton Hazell.  Unfortunately nowadays as in all aspects of manufacturing the cost accountant is king so even respected names have parts made in third world counties and just packaged with their name on it so you have no idea what you are buying.

There have been bad reports on here about GSF, warnings about buying on ebay so the question that I really need answering is who makes good quality aftermarket parts?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2013, 07:53:49 AM »
I think that you can only guarantee that the part is genuine if you buy from the GM group or Saab.  So if Saab is expensive, Vauxhall is your only other option in the UK.  All the Saab part numbers beginning with a "9" are GM parts.  If Vauxhall use the same part number, and they do, it will be the same part as Saab used.  So ask a Vauxhall dealer how much a tensioner is with that number. 

Vauxhall parts are often 2/3 the price Saab charged.

The tensioner is used in diesel Vectra/Signum/Astra/Zafira with a 2.0 or 2.2 litre engine.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2013, 08:25:12 AM »
There have been bad reports on here about GSF, warnings about buying on ebay so the question that I really need answering is who makes good quality aftermarket parts?[/font][/size][/color]

GSF own brand parts are usually rubbish, as are QH, but if they're selling brands like Sachs, Boge, Pagid, Bosch, Valeo, LuK etc. you should be good, looking on carparts4less.co.uk I can see a tensioner for your car price at £43.80 made by INA which owns LuK, I'd suggest this is potentially a good replacement part but you'll need to double check on quality. If you want to get extra money from from that site one thing to try is put the item in your basket and then go all the way to checkout after creating an account and giving them your email address and signing up for any mailshots they do, then abandon your basket at the last minute and don't purchase, it sometimes yields a voucher within 24 hours

I always find that if you see if the company or group are an OEM supplier for any car brands that usually the cheap and nasty parts manufacturers won't be a supplier to any major manufacturer and that's a good sign that the parts will not be good quality.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2013, 05:38:59 PM »
I have found a couple of listings on ebay, both from business sellers who list the manufacturer as INA.

So hopefully these should be OK?   INA's website looks very professional, It will be interesting to see who made the original tensioner when it's taken off.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2013, 06:01:11 PM »
I'd want to make sure that stuff from ebay wasn't fake but it's probably OK and I'm guessing that INA are OK but I don't have any experience with their parts (unless they were the Saab oem which is entirely possible!), isn't carparts4less cheaper than the ebay prices anyway?

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2013, 03:26:25 PM »
I am well aware that buy cheap = buy rubbish, which is the reason we own a Dualit toaster rather than a £20 one which has to be thrown away every year!

We had a Dualit mixer that packed up after 13 months so they would not repair under warranty, and a crappy Wahl James Martin one that lasted ages. Our toaster is a £20 one we've had for about 5 years.
Nothing is ever straightforward.
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2013, 03:41:11 PM »
I am well aware that buy cheap = buy rubbish, which is the reason we own a Dualit toaster rather than a £20 one which has to be thrown away every year!

We had a Dualit mixer that packed up after 13 months so they would not repair under warranty, and a crappy Wahl James Martin one that lasted ages. Our toaster is a £20 one we've had for about 5 years.
Nothing is ever straightforward.

SWMBO has her eye on a KitchenAid mixer - I personally think it would be cheaper to keep buying cakes!  In defence of Dualit I can buy new elements locally and the timer is only clockwork so a competent clock repairer should be able to fix it.  It's just that nowadays with all the internet business and ebay you just don't know what you are buying. I wonder if anyone has ever replaced the belt tensioner on a 2.2 TiD and can tell me who made the OEM one?

stevetreacy

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 7
  • MY01 95 V6 Griffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2013, 09:01:05 PM »
Hi,

Last month I paid £43.80 for genuine part from St Davids Saab in Exeter as they were only dealer with one in stock in Uk for my V6. Including postage.
steve

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 August 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
[
SWMBO has her eye on a KitchenAid mixer - I personally think it would be cheaper to keep buying cakes!  In defence of Dualit I can buy new elements locally and the timer is only clockwork so a competent clock repairer should be able to fix it.

Should we start a "kitchen equipment" thread??
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.

stevetreacy

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 7
  • MY01 95 V6 Griffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2013, 07:36:08 PM »
Hi

Now dont get me started on Dualit appliances please.

steve