Author Topic: How strong is a 9000 roof?  (Read 3096 times)

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
How strong is a 9000 roof?
« on: 30 June 2015, 09:57:15 AM »
I finally got round to disposing of the shell of the 9000 we started breaking back in Nov. The challenge was to find a scrappy willing to take just the shell stripped bare of most of the valuable items.

Anyway, the man turned up as he said he would on Saturday with a hihab and two hooks on the end. A brief discussion ensued because his method of getting the car onto the truck was to put a hook at each B pillar and lift, and he wanted to go through the door frames to do this, but the electric windows were still in place. I reassure him it should  be strong enough without going through the door frames but he insisted so it took me a couple of minutes to release the regulator mech and drop the glass.

He then picked it up with said hooks on the B pillars and I have to say I was mightily impressed that there was no real deflection around the pillars. Up in the air she went. He did grudgingly admit that he'd expected it to distort.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
Re: How strong is a 9000 roof?
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2015, 10:12:16 AM »
Not particularly related to the roof, but the car in general - always remember the Saab indie I used years ago (Ashby Garage) had a picture of a very smashed up 9000 in their reception. Despite the severity of the crash, the passenger compartment remained intact, as did the doors - the occupants survived without a scratch. This was one of the things that drew me to the marque. Always felt happy putting my (then) young children into my 9000 for long trips.

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2015, 12:35:34 AM »
ISTR that when Top Gear did their Saab homage episode they dropped a 9000 upside-down from a crane, and professed astonishment at how little the B pillars etc deflected under the impact.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2015, 07:01:35 AM »
ISTR that when Top Gear did their Saab homage episode they dropped a 9000 upside-down from a crane, and professed astonishment at how little the B pillars etc deflected under the impact.

It was a 900, last few seconds of this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jemRabq74WA

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2015, 09:26:13 AM »
It was indeed a classic 900. Prior to dropping it on it's roof, they tried lifting it by the door handles to prove how strong it was. That didn't work so well  :o. If you look carefully at a hi res clip, I think you can see they fall off when it's dropped on it's roof.