Author Topic: Car buying diary  (Read 16986 times)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
Re: Car buying diary
« Reply #15 on: 22 June 2015, 09:30:26 PM »
Went to have a quick look at a 9-5 from the outside at a dealers not too far from me. Car was a fair price as it was very cheap, though too tatty for me. Think I may end up spending more to get a nicer car.

Going to see this one tomorrow which looks more promising:

It's only a S, so will have the manual controls for air con - need to make sure I test them. Remember the other half's old 9-3 heater controls were stuck - dashboard out job to fix.

How do I check for the cracked bulkhead? Is it turn the steering wheel while stationary and see if the pedals move?

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2015, 09:32:30 PM »
A lot of the cars I'm looking at in this price range seem to be lacking services (many 2000 cars with "9 stamps" - better than nothing, but most likely not seen a service centre for many years). My old 9-3 hadn't had a service for 4 years when I bought it (only cost £362 so can't be too fussy) - first thing I did was get an oil and filter change. Probably what I'll have to do with my next car.

To be fair, my car hasn't got service stamps for probably at least 5 years. But I look after it myself, changing the oil and filter every 6000 miles plus whatever else is necessary - as it's still going strong at 227,000 miles, I must be doing something right  :) The point is, it doesn't need stamps to be well looked after. IMHO, if it's just had minimum servicing, I'd be cautious.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 June 2015, 10:30:03 PM »
To be fair, my car hasn't got service stamps for probably at least 5 years. But I look after it myself, changing the oil and filter every 6000 miles plus whatever else is necessary - as it's still going strong at 227,000 miles, I must be doing something right  :) The point is, it doesn't need stamps to be well looked after. IMHO, if it's just had minimum servicing, I'd be cautious.

The issue is without stamps or the previous owners records then you just don't know. Your car might not have stamps but you know it's OK because you worked on it. Similar situation with my car, it's not had any stamps for the past 40k and it's around 165k now but that's because all the work was done in my ownership. Put it like this, I probably wouldn't buy my car right now if I was a buyer for it!

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 June 2015, 11:02:40 PM »
Going to see this one tomorrow which looks more promising:

How do I check for the cracked bulkhead? Is it turn the steering wheel while stationary and see if the pedals move?

Subject to more knowledgeable replies coming along, I think it was only convertibles, not the hatch, that had the bulkhead problem.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 June 2015, 07:50:50 AM »
Subject to more knowledgeable replies coming along, I think it was only convertibles, not the hatch, that had the bulkhead problem.

No, it was certainly all models, convertibles might be more often affected and also possibly cars with lowered suspension and bigger wheels. The test is general to see if the pedals move when the wheel is turned but there are some videos on youtube which may be helpful (I haven't watched them). On the plus side many cars have had the repair done and even if you got unlucky the repair now is quite straight forward although £300-£400.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 June 2015, 11:32:47 AM »
Off to see that 9-3 in the pic above shortly. Not ideal in it has no leather or cruise or climate, but if it's in as good nick as represented, I'll probably have it.

At the other end of the budget, the perfect car would be a 9-5 Aero registered before 23rd March 2006 to avoid the tax hike. Leather, Sat Nav, heated seats would be nice  8)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 June 2015, 01:43:53 PM »
The 9-3 was a no too. Best one I've looked at yet, though there was a patch of rust on the rear arch. It had other minor blemishes though nothing untoward bearing in mind the age / price.

I'm not willing to buy a car with any rust on the body as my old 9-3 had none, and it sold for half of the price of the cheapest cars I'm looking at.

Maybe need to start looking at private sellers as all of these have been small traders - maybe none Saabs  too  :o

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 June 2015, 06:19:02 PM »

No, it was certainly all models, convertibles might be more often affected and also possibly cars with lowered suspension and bigger wheels...

Fair enough audax, I was going from memory and a trawl of the internet before posting, couldn't see any mention of tin-tops.  :)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 June 2015, 08:27:02 PM »
Getting fed up now with traders advertising turds as something appealing.

The 9-3 pictured above was relatively okay as mentioned, but have just wasted 45 miles and 1.5 hours going to see a tatty 9-3ss advertised as if it was something special. The 9-3ss was over budget but I thought it was worth a look.

Spotted a "scuff" on the front bumper and a crease in the body in the pics before I went - the scuff turned out to include a crack, so probably a new bumper needed. I specifically asked if the crease had broken the paint as I don't want any rust - trader said no - he was actually correct, but there was rust a few inches from the crease. Numerous dinks and scratches round the car. Wheels not in great condition with every tyre a different brand. 2 half decent, 2 Carlos Fandango ditch finders. Interior was supposed to be spotless, though a quick glance at the drivers seat and I see 3 little holes in the side of the seat.

I never got as far as getting in the car or driving - Did a Mike Brewer and looked at the car outside before going to the door. That 4 minute look was enough to know I'd wasted my time. Rang the doorbell after looking at the car and no-one came so I rang the bloke up and said I wasn't interested. He actually sounded a bit miffed - He didn't even have to get out of his seat - cost me a lot more in miles / fuel and time. I'm sure he'll be telling his Trader mates about another tyre kicker wasting his time  ::)

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 June 2015, 01:54:31 PM »
Put it like this, I probably wouldn't buy my car right now if I was a buyer for it!

Lol, know what you mean!

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 June 2015, 09:39:24 AM »
If it's any consolation I am still on the hunt and like you I've seen some tat!!!!

Funny that - I also look at the tyres first thinking if the can't afford decent tyres then what else haven't they done...................

I can't find Subaru for the money I want to spend but have my eyes on a 2007 Passat 2.0 TDi Sport Estate manual. It's private sale and has genuine history to it and has just had main service, cambelt, water pump and MOT. The chap was then promoted a week later and gets an Audi as company car having just spent £500 on Passat. I was due to view last weekend but he said engine light had come on so wouldn't sell till happy. It went into VW and part ordered for fitting tomorrow - DPF sensor. No change in price so I'm fingers crossed.

The other I was looking at was a Volvo V50 2.0D. We had one before as wife's car and over 5 years did 60k and only had to replace climate control condenser and alternator. Car was 6 speed and averaged mid 50's. Had all the goodies and went well. Good ones under 100k though are like hens teeth as are Passat estates.

I too get frustrated and folk say to let them know when I sell mine as they are normally perfect (why do I sell them doh).

My 9-5 Tid auto that I sold in April is apparently happily trekking down to near Pisa and back each month with no issues!!!!! Whaaaaaaat

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 June 2015, 10:02:50 AM »
I've not seen one yet with matching tyres let alone matching premium tyres.

Didn't realise at the time, but I was lucky with my last 9-3 as I bought it blind off Ebay. That was an S reg and 15 years old at the time I bought it, but there was not a hint of rust anywhere on the body. I paid £362 for that, and this is where the instistence for no rust on the cars I'm looking at is coming from. If I can get a car with no rust for that figure, I shouldn't expect to find it on cars starting at double that figure. Saw rust on a 56 plate I looked at recently!

I've also been looking at a few Volvo's on the internet, but not got as far as going to see one yet. A S40 T5 and a S60 D5 are all that's about locally at the moment.

Even started looking at X-Type jags. Never liked them, but I'm coming round now. Didn't realise they were 4WD despite the "X" in the name! Suspect running costs won't be cheap, but don't know if they'll be any worse than Saab / Volvo etc.

I'm the same with selling cars - I get them all fixed up then sell them. If there is a problem I will let the buyer know. Just wish my old 9-3 was a Turbo with leather - I'd have kept it.

I'm considering seeing this even though it's a manual, doubt it has cruise control, and it doesn't even have a CD player! Expensive though it does look good in the pictures!

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #27 on: 25 June 2015, 10:35:26 AM »
The X-type Jag is one on my list of possible replacements for my 9-5.  I may be wrong but I think that only the petrol engined cars were 4 wheel drive. Running costs shouldn't be that bad as it is basically a Mondeo underneath and parts for Fords are easy to obtain.

I always look at the 'Honest John' website for information on a car - the reviews section covers new and old models of most cars and says about the X-type that it should have sold better than it did as it was a good car.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 June 2015, 11:38:31 AM »
I have been looking at 2.5 and 3.0's though may consider a 2.0D.

4WD or FWD are good for me - just don't fancy RWD. My main car is RWD and I don't get on with that.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #29 on: 25 June 2015, 10:04:37 PM »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.