Author Topic: 314mm brake upgrade  (Read 1853 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
314mm brake upgrade
« on: 26 December 2018, 11:05:05 PM »
Just read somewhere about changing hubs when upgrading front discs and calipers. Wasn't banking on that....is it required???

aerojon

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 27
    • View Profile
Re: 314mm brake upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2018, 03:01:13 AM »
No you don't need to change hubs,never even seen it mentioned or asked..

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2018, 09:21:52 AM »
Someone mentioned it on one of the Saab Facebook groups in relation to upgrading front brake backplates.....

I can understand taking hubs off to fit, but didn't fancy additional cost of hubs on top of everything else.....

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2018, 07:39:36 PM »
Probably what they were saying is that you need to separate the hub assembly to fit the correct size backing plates.

But do you really need backing plates at all? Having run several cars with various degrees of brake upgrades I've only ever cut them off and not noticed any issues. I believe the purpose of them was that when driving on a motorway you can go for miles without touching your brakes, add in wet weather and your discs will be totally soaked including the pads, this will result in a second or 2 of poor or no braking (mainly on older cars, new cars have such good brakes you won't notice) the shield keeps most of the water off resulting in slightly more responsive brakes. You can just dab the brakes every so often to clear them in heavy rain, but on modern cars there is no point.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2018, 12:34:59 AM »
Well I have a set of backplates to go with my bigger discs, and they'll get fitted at the same time when the current discs wear out ;)