Author Topic: External hard drive recommendations  (Read 1644 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
External hard drive recommendations
« on: 30 August 2023, 10:56:49 PM »
I need to look to get another external hard drive to carry on backing up loads of videos I keep taking with my phone of my lad playing in various local bands he's in, and open mics he does. Yje 2 TB drive I got a while ago is filling up, so I need another one with good capacity very soon.

I'm interested in a solid state drive this time with as much capacity as I can afford.

Anyone got any recommendations?

welshwizard

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
Re: External hard drive recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2023, 10:23:07 AM »
I would stick with the well known names.  I did get a Samsung SSD for OH's computer a few months ago and it does the job, I tend to stick with WD HDD drives.  Seagate and Toshiba are other names I can think of.

And buy a pair so you have at least one drive in case the other one fails.  Memory is cheap now, my latest 4TB WBs cost me less than my 250GB I bought a few years ago..

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2023, 11:03:28 AM »
Ditto welshwizard's comments.
 I've been using Samsung SSDs for over 10 years, never any problems. You'll know SSDs are much faster than spinning drives.  On Amazon and their own website external SSDs are around £100 per 2Tb.
Never look back at prices with regret - I paid over £100 for 500Gb just two years ago, and the same for 250 Gb a cople of years before that.  SSD capacity is very roughly twice the price of HDD, but far less than it used to be and worth it for speed and reliability, though you'd be very unlucky to have a HDD fail these days.
WD and Crucial (more commonly known for their RAM) are worth a look. Toshiba seem to only do HDDs these days.
I've bought from CCL Computers in Bradford many times, great prices and service - I've no connection other than as a customer.

Avoid Currys.  Limited range, overpriced, and I've seen them sell very unsuitable kit to friends and family.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2023, 12:19:50 PM »
When I look back at prices, our first Apple computer at work was £6000 and had a massive 1MB of RAM and a whole 20MB internal hard disc.  !980's...
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2023, 02:26:59 PM »
When I look back at prices, our first Apple computer at work was £6000 and had a massive 1MB of RAM and a whole 20MB internal hard disc.  !980's...

Probably be worth quite a bit if you can find one now ;)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2023, 10:28:16 PM »
I have been using Western Digital SSD's for a while. New laptop came with a 500GB M.2 drive, which I swapped out immediately for a 2TB. In the process I acquired a M.2 USB2 /3  card reader. Most handy
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

welshwizard

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2023, 01:29:02 PM »
Avoid Currys.  Limited range, overpriced, and I've seen them sell very unsuitable kit to friends and family.

Funny you should mention that Geoff.  When I was shopping for some 2 or 3 TB WD drives - ordered from that well known river-based provider on the Internet... and they were never sent...dug deeper and there were a pair available at a local Currys for the same price....So, I check Amazon and then Currys....