Author Topic: Sounds like a CV joint going....  (Read 3378 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Sounds like a CV joint going....
« on: 06 March 2012, 11:42:06 PM »
I was out in her 9-3 Vector yesterday and I heard the classic CV joint knock on full lock - I think.

I'll have to check in daylight and the dry.  I don't think it's loose bolts as it only happens on full lock.

It will be the first time I've had a CV joint go on any of our cars since one went on my old Austin 1100 in 1968!!

And her car may be nearly 10 years old, but it's only done 44,000 miles and passed the MOT in November.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
Re: Sounds like a CV joint going....
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2012, 04:55:58 PM »
It's not knocking today and I gave it a bit of a rough ride.

But something is not right.  There's a slow puncture in the new winter tyre and there's a rumble....  Ride height is looking odd.  Do Hirsch springs break?   May have a look tomorrow if it's fine.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Saabman

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 20
  • 9-3 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2012, 06:14:56 PM »
When my spring broke (standard) it did it on full lock at parking speed, before that it had made funny noises on full lock which I suspect was the spring jumping if the top mount was partially siezed and not turning fully it did kind of sound like a CV knocking. Anyway one day there was a clunk/twang and next thing I noticed was a burning rubber smell  ::) The local dealer swopped the springs free of charge but not the tyre even though they could see the broken coil still sticking into it (7mm tread remaining) as they said Saab didn't cover resultant damage >:(
Got it back from Saab and swopped for Eibachs straight away  ;D

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2012, 02:40:10 PM »
Springs are fine.  Ride height is still about an inch high on the driver's side.

I suspect something sticking in a bush or the anti-roll bar.  Wheels off, checked around.  Everything looks OK.  Even the CV knocking has stopped for now.

The puncture is there but very slow and a close inspection shows no nail that I can see.  So off to check the tyre seating and the valve.  These are the new winter tyres on new steel wheels.  Not a mark on the wheels.  So no damage.

Mr Linear

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2012, 02:58:46 PM »
Is it a front tyre that is soft?

Could a nail/screw have been rattling on the inner guard on full lock and then fallen off?

Just a thought..

Mr L.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2012, 06:14:52 PM »
Well I think I've found the "puncture".  After a quick over everything with Fairy liquid solution, I noticed this......