Author Topic: The moment of truth is upon us!!  (Read 1771 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
The moment of truth is upon us!!
« on: 30 July 2018, 11:28:25 PM »
Well, after having the boy for 8 months now, and not done too many miles in him since, it is finally MOT time tomorrow (Tuesday) and I'm a little bit twitchy.

I am guessing that they will find the cause of the suspension knock as being a bottom ball joint, damper top mount or something similar, and I'll have to get that done....I might get lucky....but then again  ::)

Then there's the rear tyres which look a bit low to me, but might just scrape it...…

Fingers crossed!! ???

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: The moment of truth is upon us!!
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2018, 10:46:36 AM »
Good luck! :)

Eight months already?  I suppose it must be. It was snowing on Boxing Day when I last had a look at it. 
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
Yes - no word yet...that either means it's passed, or it hasn't been done yet!! Yikes!!!

I was trying to work out how many miles were on it when I bought it the day before Xmas eve. I think it was around 93k. I've only just gone past the 95k mark in the last couple of weeks, but then again I haven't been using the car as a daily driver for most of the months since I bought it. It does sit on the dive for days at a time, until I dig it out, use it for a few days, and then rest it again :)

Trying to think what I've done since I've had it:
- Full service, replaced driver's seatbelt which wouldn't retract, had rear parking sensor kit fitted
- Disinfected the aircon
- bought second hand 314mm upgrade front calipers, which are currently with Bigg Red, being refurbished
- bought full set of discs and pads (inc 314mm front discs and backplates) from Saabits. To be fitted as and when I start to need brakes doing (hopefully not today as the calipers are not back yet!!! :D )
- bought second hand power folding wing mirrors in matching 170 black, to be fitted whenever
- bought a couple of replacement key fob cases
- bought a new set of Saab wheel centre caps to replace the crusty Speedline ones - hopefully will be fitted by my mechanic today whilst he has the car ;)
- bought transmission fluid to change gearbox oil - hopefully will be done today whilst my mechanic has the car ;)

Further aspirations as and when time and money permit:
- Noobtune 250bhp remap at some point
- Acquire and fit replacement Aero front splitter
- Get driver's seat refurbed, including fixing the lumbar support that appears to not work
- Fix annoying glovebox rattle
- Fix annoying centre console creak when you lean on it
- Fix annoying creak from clutch pedal
- Get bodyshop to sort out slight rust in rear wheelarches
- Get bodyshop to refurb alloys

But first, I need the boy to pass the MOT today!!!!! :D My worry beads for this are as follows:
- may need one or two tyres are the rear :o
- may need some suspension work at the front (knocking from RHS when going over bumps)
- may need a coil spring at the back, if the advisory from last year has got worse
- may need something else as yet to be identified

Or.....it may sail through with a couple of advisories........ ;)
« Last Edit: 31 July 2018, 07:46:08 PM by Steve McF »

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2018, 07:44:02 PM »
Well you wouldn't Adam & Eve it - the boy's only gone and passed, hasn't he?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) ;) ;) ;)

OK, admittedly with a couple of advisories, but nothing like the list of advisories he's had at the last two MOTs!! So there's a CV joint gaitor that needs replacing, the rear brake pads need doing, and the two rear tyres are borderline (as I suspected) and will need replacing. Great news, as I thought I was going to have to fork out loads - so will be on the lookout for a couple of decent but reasonably priced 18" tyres for the rear first. Then it will be back to my mechanic to do the rest :)

Then I'll move onto trying to get those rear arches looked at.....and clean that throttle body :)
« Last Edit: 31 July 2018, 07:46:49 PM by Steve McF »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2018, 11:44:37 PM »
Good news!! :)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.