Author Topic: What I Did To My Saab Today.  (Read 290542 times)

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
Re: What I Did To My Saab Today.
« Reply #420 on: 22 February 2017, 04:10:32 PM »
I'm with you on that one Will. Apparently, compared with the old design, the shape has changed and the liquid supplied as a bonding agent is supposed to ensure a good fixing, but as you say time will tell. I did find heating up the trim with an old hair dryer certainly made it more compliant.
They do supply antiseptic wipes, as used for injections, but these were far too small to be effective, hence why I ended up using carb cleaner to prep the rim.If you happen to see a 'flappy' 9.5 on your travels this summer, it may well be me!  ;D

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: 24 February 2017, 11:28:23 AM »
I saw you posted this on the SOC GB Facebook page. I'd also be really interested to see how they last.
I'd love to blame it all on the Mrs but it's all too easy to catch the rim, there's a couple of small chunks out of my recently refurbished wheels and I have to take the blame for one or two of them..

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: 24 February 2017, 04:08:02 PM »
I tend to drive like Miss Daisy when parking, as I really don't want to go to the expense of repairing them and then having the worry I might scuff them all over again.
Even got the wife to get out and check as I park, especially at those granite kerb stones.. How sad is that.  ;D

I will report back how they perform. Still got the other side to do when, my back is better  :-\

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: 27 February 2017, 09:01:19 AM »
What happens to them when you have to get new tyres ??? I suppose you get new ones?

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: 27 February 2017, 12:19:47 PM »
That did cross my mind Jim. My local tyre fitters are a good bunch, so hopefully with a bit of care, we should be OK.
I have a spare set, just in case  ;)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #425 on: 09 March 2017, 06:09:12 PM »
Fitted a new wiper blade on the driver's side today. It was wobbling about when I gave it a wipe after cleaning the windscreen.

Nothing wrong with the old Valeo flat blade itself, but the plastic clip that attaches the blade to the hook at the end of the arm has split in two.  :(
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: 09 March 2017, 07:00:19 PM »
The Valeo blades do seem to fair well. I seem to get through rear blades a lot. Wish I could get a slightly bigger blade to allow a bit more vision; sure one would fit as at least an inch or more to top of screen.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #427 on: 10 March 2017, 07:19:55 AM »
You can now get Bosch blades in the correct size for Saabs. I have fitted a pair to my 9-5 and they are far superior to the Valeo blades as well as being easier to get hold of and cheaper too!

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: 10 March 2017, 09:02:25 AM »
You can now get Bosch blades in the correct size for Saabs. I have fitted a pair to my 9-5 and they are far superior to the Valeo blades as well as being easier to get hold of and cheaper too!

You always could get Bosch blades for the earlier Saabs, it's what I used to sell as a cheaper alternative to the genuine part but they never seemed to last much more than 18 months until they needed replacing compared to the genuine parts lasting more like 3 years. There was a period when getting blades for the later 2008 on 9-3 and 9-5 cars with the clip style arms meant not so much choice from the aftermarket but the genuine parts were not that expensive and the aftermarket parts were considerably more expensive at the time.  ::)

Not sure how Jim is getting through rear wiper blades quickly as they seem to last 4-5 years! but you can get a cheap Bosch replacement from ebay or Amazon for £4.

It's probably worth me saying that I've not checked the prices for genuine blades compared to aftermarket for some time but with the reports of the Orio parts going down in quality I would be a lot more cost conscious now as I wouldn't be happy that the quality would be better on the genuine kit compared to Bosch if it was more expensive.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #429 on: 12 March 2017, 08:26:11 AM »
I have changed to Bosch blades on both my cars and found them much quieter. I change mine every 12 - 18 months.  A small price to pay for clear vision..............

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: 12 March 2017, 10:59:23 AM »
Managed to put the two remaining RimGuards on and would offer a few suggestions. Superglue the ends together. Mine had lifted off very slightly. Also if your rim has a noticeable i.e. deep scuff, the adhesive tape does not stick well. Again use superglue in these areas for extra grip.

Drove to London yesterday and can report back the rims are still there! No part has detached, despite some spirited driving, so I think all should be OK.

Petemate

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: 12 March 2017, 10:33:04 PM »
Checked the oil, checked and adjusted the tyre pressures, topped up the washer fluid.
That was it.
Yawn.
Tomorrow morning, if as forecast, the weather holds, I will wash the car.
Digressing slightly - if the weather is OK in the afternoon, as also forecast, I will go for a ride on the bike and thrash the nuts off it.

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: 19 March 2017, 01:58:49 PM »
Checked the oil, checked and adjusted the tyre pressures, topped up the washer fluid.
That was it.
Yawn.
More than I did to the Honda - just checked the tyres, as it was serviced only 10 days ago having covered just over 40,000km.

I still drop in here most days, but don't post as there's nothing I've been able to contribute recently. I have been intending to post for a while, with all the spare time I have now that I'm not crawling under the Saab on a cold drive keeping it running, changing the oil and filter every 6000 miles etc.  ;D

Just as a reminder, we bought (leased) a Honda CR-V back in October 2015 to replace our old 9-5 Aero auto estate after spending more than half the value of the Saab on a replacement alternator. I wasn't expecting it to be such a happy transition from the 265bhp, 420Nm rocketship to the 120bhp 1.6 diesel SUV. However, although I often miss the Saab, the Honda is surprisingly capable particularly on the motorway, and was a good choice for our needs. With 300Nm, it drives strongly, and has a much more usable luggage area than the Saab due to a taller area under the load cover, which is not so deep front to rear as the Saab. We recently completed a two-day journey from the UK back home to Austria with four people plus luggage, and it coped easily. The legroom in the rear is way superior to the Saab which meant that everyone was comfortable. The engines is delightfully smooth at speed, and it returns an overall 52mpg, somewhat better than the Saab at 27mpg. Diesel here in Austria is around €1.08 per litre, about 95p in real money, and the Super Plus that the Saab used is around €1.25, about £1.10, so it's a good saving.

The Honda isn't perfect. The manual gearchange is notchy, and couldn't be described as a pleasure to use, although it's not something that is a real problem on the open road. The aircon goes into recycling mode much more quickly than the Saab, presumably because it has a smaller compressor to aid fuel economy. The rain-sensitive wipers never seem to operate quite as I'd like, whereas the Saab always seemed to get things just right. The seat squabs in the Honda are a little short, although the comfort is generally OK on a long journey. Because the Saab had all the goodies, we also miss the memory electric seats, as SWMBO and I share the car and it's a pain with manual seat adjustment. No leather heated and ventilated seats, the black cloth in the Honda is a little rough and cheap-looking, although they are heated - only with two settings though. No passenger seat height adjustment in the Honda, although the higher spec models have it. Rear visibility is great with the huge door mirrors, but parking is a bit of a nightmare with the heavy rear, although the standard reversing camera helps, unlike the Saab where you could see the corners.

The only problem we've had, which I'm monitoring, is a clutch judder first thing in the morning when it's cold. The dealer has checked it out and can't find any problems, but suggested that I bring it to their attention again if it gets worse.

If anyone is interested, I have posted a fuller review here on the Honest John website:
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/honda/cr-v-2012?review=4276#selected

I still look wistfully at Saabs when I see them (saw two 9-5 estates within an hour last week, unusual for here).....  :'(
« Last Edit: 19 March 2017, 02:02:12 PM by mikeloadsasaabs »

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: 21 March 2017, 11:10:40 AM »
Mike, I know how you feel.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: 21 March 2017, 12:06:27 PM »
Alright chaps :) Technically speaking the only thing really to go wrong with mine is the passenger door lock - other stuff was simply to update mine........................