Author Topic: What to do???  (Read 33214 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: What to do???
« Reply #30 on: 23 October 2015, 10:36:36 AM »
Would you have any worries Audax??

The only thing that might be a niggle is the reliability of the XWD system at higher mileages, however at that price there's only one way to find out. If it came down to it I suspect it would break for parts for the asking price!

Put it like this, it's not far down the road from me and if my 9-5 went bang today I would consider it for that price!

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 October 2015, 10:37:42 AM »
I did also see this rather nice 9-3 Aero TTiD not far from me??

http://www.cecilandlarter.co.uk/used-cars/view/490063/Saab-9-3-Sportwagon-AERO-19-TTiD-180BHP-SPORTWAGON

This has good history and Saab towbar etc and has Sat Nav etc. Heated but not electric seats - shame.

Obviously the 9-3X would be 4 wheel drive and more comfortable due to higher ride height. Isn't this the same colour as your 9-5 Will??

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 October 2015, 10:39:45 AM »
They were my thoughts Audax - just need to dispose of the Passat which I hope will be easy considering nothing else on market of same model with so many factory extra's! I'm only asking £3800 for it on 2007 plate...............

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 October 2015, 02:03:42 PM »
They were my thoughts Audax - just need to dispose of the Passat which I hope will be easy considering nothing else on market of same model with so many factory extra's! I'm only asking £3800 for it on 2007 plate...............

Is it a good time to pass on a Passat now or not? I wonder if people will flock to them as they think they will be cheap because people want rid of them or stay away because of the emissions rigging. Is yours affected by the recall?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #34 on: 23 October 2015, 02:29:21 PM »
The diesel one is the same colour as my 9-5.  I'm a bit curious about the wheels, they are the early Vector wheels, I'm sure that they had been replaced as the standard wheel by 2008.  The Aero in 2008 should have ALU71 wheels.  The ones on that car are ALU45 - same dimensions, but from 2003-6.

And the sat nav will be out of date and I haven't found an upgrade for the map.  And the Saab unit doesn't do postcodes! :(
« Last Edit: 23 October 2015, 02:33:12 PM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 October 2015, 06:47:11 PM »
Yes, the C&L car has older wheels on, and 7J not the later 7.5J, so it would be interesting to see if it has the correct 235/45*17 tyres for the car, or the correct for 7J rims 225/45*17 tyres.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 October 2015, 08:22:36 PM »
Just done a double check on the wheel.

The ALU 45 was too narrow, I thought, as a 17 x 7 inch wheel.  But I checked the Saab archive website and that says it's 7.5 x 17, which is why I said that they were OK,  but now I'm home, the EPC says that they are 7 inch wide. So the wheels are wrong. The 7 x 17 should have a 225/45 17 94W XL tyre.

Then I got my brain engaged and looked at my photos...

The ALU45 wheel is a 7J x 17 as cast into the back of the spoke

« Last Edit: 23 October 2015, 08:27:11 PM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 October 2015, 10:18:20 PM »
The Aero in 2008 should have ALU71 wheels.  The ones on that car are ALU45 - same dimensions, but from 2003-6.

However those wheels are listed in the accessories catalogue for that car and are also listed as being happy with 225/45 R17 so not a reason to avoid. Hard to say if the wheels were changed on order/supply or later in the cars life though.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 October 2015, 10:20:27 AM »

... It does not have Xenon headlamps, it has halogens. ...

In the light of past threads concening repair costs for Xenons, I'd regard that as a plus!

A bit late to the party, been to the IoW this week.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25 October 2015, 03:41:02 PM »
I trust the weather was good on IoW Geoff??

I'm still considering that 9-3X as 133k won't go up much with my current driving and if they do a good warranty then no fears on Haldex system but isn't this what Volvo used as well? If not where did it come from.

My Passat isn't affect by the software issues VW has got. In fact mine doesn't have a DPF and EGR is blanked and emissions are lower than when it did have those. It sailed through MOT with low readings. I don't forsee and problems selling it as long as I do right price. There seem to be very few Sport 170's and those that are for sale are basic spec where as mine has superb sat nav, VW Premium Phone system with a phone in the car, 30GB hard drive for music on sat nav unit, the multi function steering wheel and large multi function display on dash - all were extras. Body work is actually immaculate and inside clean as whistle. SWIMBO will go nuts but I can cope with that as she's never really like this car.

As an aside - the Subaru Legacy I had for a short time that they bought back after gearbox issues is still for sale on their website and still nearly £800 more than I paid for it............. :)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 25 October 2015, 08:55:08 PM »
I'm still considering that 9-3X as 133k won't go up much with my current driving and if they do a good warranty then no fears on Haldex system but isn't this what Volvo used as well? If not where did it come from.

The system is Haldex but it was a new generation developed by Haldex with Saab so was first fitted to Saab models and was then made available to other manufacturers but I don't think it was integrated by many as a new generation came out shortly after. Wikipedia claims that the 4th gen was/is fitted to the Skoda Yeti, Volvo XC60 and 2010-2012 V70 AWD models. 

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25 October 2015, 09:44:56 PM »
IoW was very good, excellent choice of beers down there, thanks for asking, Jim!

A couple of thoughts about the 9-3x - how does it ride and handle with the higher stance? Will, what does your friend think?

And I never got on with the 9-3 Arc I had before the 9-5 - among other things, the handbrake is awkward (minor issue) and the seats were really uncomfortable (major issue). I'd strongly recommend a LONG drive in the 9-3. There was a thread on the old site about 9-3 seat comfort. I did around 11k in mine in seven months and was ready to get rid of it well before then. The 9-3's I had as courtesy cars when my 9-5 was in dry dock were just as bad.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 25 October 2015, 10:12:17 PM »
Thanks Geoff - I'm glad beers were good - nothing like a nice ale! Particularly hard for me when we go to Scotland as I don't like whisky's.............................

I'm not very tall 5'-9" and not very large 10.5 st but I do like a nice seat and my 9-5 Aero was the very best. I shall give several 9-3's a try including the Aero to see which is best. All reviews of the 9-3X say it's seat and ride are really comfortable so we'll see - I am quite critical on things like that - these Passat seats are no match for the Saab; even the Volvo V70 couldn't match them so hard act to follow the 9-5............................

Sounds like the Haldex is ok really then Audax if looked after......................????

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 26 October 2015, 12:13:08 AM »
The seats in our old 2003 Vector were a bit "cheap", but they had the cloth centres and the leather was thin.

The seats in the Carlsson are made of much thicker leather and feel a lot better.  Although I find the 9-3 seat base is a bit short for me.  The headrest goes a lot higher than the one in the 9-5, so I find it better for me, but I'm an odd shape.  6'-1" with relatively short legs and a long body.  I can't fit in a car with a sunroof...

My friend is a similar age to me, 70 years old, and really likes the 9-3X.  He has come from an Alfa 156 and his wife has a BMW 320 convertible, but prefers the Saab for longer drives.  He doesn't find the handling a problem.  He's investigating getting a remap to take advantage of the way it goes!!

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 26 October 2015, 11:50:19 AM »
Well that's better new then Will. He's got the 2.0T hasn't he? What age is it and has he had any issues at all? Sorry for the quizzing.

I assume for age of vehicle it will have the better upholstery as would the 2008/2009 Aero's I'm also interested in??