Author Topic: Washer bottle level sensor  (Read 718 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Washer bottle level sensor
« on: 16 November 2023, 04:32:30 PM »
SID was giving me a permanent "low on washer fluid" message so I decided to investigate.

Imagine my surprise to discover that the connector onto the sensor was taped up (with a bridge wire in) and the sensor was hanging loose.

Subsequent investigation taught me that the sensor operates inside a plastic tume, which is activated by a magnetic reed switch activated by a float which is exposed to the washer fluid tank

Looking at the Saab parts diagram the part number seems to be 12 788 696, but reading around suggests there are in fact two designs. One normally open, the other normally closed, with a difference in the logic within SID

The reason I am asking is that the sensor I have doesn't fit into the plastic tube, or at least it appears to require much more force than I expect to use

I solved the problem by taking a complete tube & sensor from spares I had on the shelf, but having checked continuity on the wires to the reed switch it doesn't seem to be switching when the float is moved

Just trying to decide if I should put it on the shelf, or bin it..

Any experience ?
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD