Author Topic: Those rear arches  (Read 3831 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Those rear arches
« on: 16 March 2019, 09:38:55 AM »
Just saw a post on Facebook for a guy selling his 55 reg 9-3 Aero which looks a great car apart from rust in one of the rear arches.

This has started on mine but I have tried to stop it with a temporary sanding down and a liberal application of Bilthammer Hydrate80 before Christmas.

Seems to be under control, but I want to get a bodyshop to sort it once and for all. I was quoted around £180+VAT per side,  which seemed ok to me.

Question is what triggers rust in these areas. Is it stone chips? The flange around the inner edge of the arch seems to start to go, and then it creeps round under the paint onto the outer panel.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
Re: Those rear arches
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2019, 07:52:42 AM »
Has anyone successfully eradicated rust blisters in this  area with out cutting the metal out altogether?

I treated my blisters with some Hydrate 80 last Autumn, and it has kept all the rust at bay apart from on the rearmost bit of my LHS rear arch. I need to get the wheelarch liner off, clean out the area behind this, and treat that too.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2019, 10:48:46 PM »
I'm too embarrassed to put up pictures of my 9-5 arches.  :o

I think they rust from the inside, water getting between the plastic trim and the metal, on those it always starts at the bottom of the leading edge.

Treating from the inside may slow things down, but ultimately, only cut out and replacement with fresh metal will solve the problem. This from someone who is in the middle of a VW camper project (fertan / vactan used frequently there) and is not too far from cutting some rear arches out of a shell to stitch into my blue car.
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2019, 10:57:54 AM »
Well, I'm biting the bullet.....

Jet is booked into the bodyshop on Monday to get the rust in those rear arches sorted, before they get too bad. Not sure how much it is going to cost. The guy I spoke to a few months back suggested £180+VAT per side. This guy (same bodyshop) said around £300+VAT per side!! Yikes. He did then come down a bit, and I think he suggested 500 and something all in, so will see. But I might need to speak to the original guy again......

Anyway, I asked them if they could fit the second hand front wing that I have, to replace the one that has been badly painted with a spraycan (but still has rust as well) before I bought the car.

So looking forward to seeing the bodywork looking better towards the end of next week :)

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2019, 09:45:05 AM »
Well, just got the car back, and those rear arches are now looking magnificent with no rust!!!!! Cost a bit more than originally quoted, as I believe they cut a bit of the worst rust out and welded a plate in. Also I asked them to fit a replacement second hand front wing I'd bought to replace a crusty one currently on the car. After messing about with that, they said they were unable to fit it and get it to line up (see my other thread!!), so they put the old one back on.

But just fixing up the sanded down patches that I had treated with Bilthamber Hydrate 80 to prevent the rust from worsening, and pushing out a dent that was a bit higher up the panel, has just made the car look much better, and less "shed" like!!!! :D

I struggled to upload photos as the filesize was too big, but will try again later!!

Next thing I was hoping to get a quote on was some waxoyling ;)

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2019, 12:53:34 PM »
Simple answer really.
People wash their cars, but never wash inside the wheel arches. Crud builds up under the lip, absorbs water and this is the result.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2019, 01:07:32 PM »
Yep......to be fair, the blistering I had was from an area that was shielded by the wheerlarch liner, so without removing that first, you probably could not clean that area out effectively.

As I'm owner number 5, I blame the first 4 :D :D

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2019, 08:18:03 PM »
Not having a dig at you Steve, just pointing out how it is caused.  :-)

I removed my wheel liners, thoroughly cleaned the arch - see photo.
Checked for any rust, the gave it a coat of Flag rust inhibitor followed by Hammerite, finished off with underbody waxoyl. Then I replaced the wheel liners.

Whenever I wash the car I usually have some water in the bottom. I used this with an old sponge to keep the dirt at bay under the rims.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2019, 10:53:34 PM »
Ahhhhhhh that's better!!!!!! ;)

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 October 2019, 10:12:44 AM »
Very tidy.  8)

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2019, 09:21:47 PM »
Simple answer really.
People wash their cars, but never wash inside the wheel arches. Crud builds up under the lip, absorbs water and this is the result.

I was about to say the same until I read this. I always (I say always but frankly my poor 9-5 hardly every gets washed these days  :-[ ) run the hose around the inner lip of the front and rear arches, it's amazing what come out, especially if you've been anywhere near mud..

Looks like a cracking job they've done Steve!

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 October 2019, 04:54:45 PM »
They have....I think!!!!!

My next plan was waxoyling........ ;) The intention was this side of the bad winter weather - but not sure I'll get round to it.

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 October 2019, 02:07:08 PM »
Suggest a paint first to all the inner wing, Steve.

I use Flag rust converter followed by their black paint
Flag Rust converter £5.89 at Toolstation   https://www.toolstation.com/rust-converter/p43408
Flag Paint is £7.62 at Toolstation  https://www.toolstation.com/hammer-finish-metal-paint-500ml/p61654

Reviews: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=flag+rust+converter+review

HTH