Author Topic: heater matrix hose  (Read 5186 times)

BenH

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
heater matrix hose
« on: 25 November 2013, 07:04:34 AM »
Hi all,

The hose leading from the end of the engine to/from the heater matrix is leaking from the engine end. The hose is ballooned and split at that point, but once ~3 inches away from the engine it is fine. 2 questions: is it possible to get a replacement section to put in place of the duff bit once cut out? (I really don't want to have to get to the heater matrix to replace the entire hose!) And if so, does anyone know offhand what diameter the hose is?

Cheers, Ben.

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
Re: heater matrix hose
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2013, 10:00:01 AM »
I don't think you can.

The same happened to my 9000 a while back (it's a very long story) from memory there isn't enough spare tube and unless you cut out the complete split it will happen again. Also you cannot 'shortcut' the hose by simply returning it to the engine, bypassing the heater as the return is a different diametre.

Not wishing to be the voice of doom, but the cause on mine was a split head.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2013, 10:01:25 AM »
I don't know the diameter, but I have repaired many hoses by using a short length of copper pipe and some jubilee clips to join the hoses together.

I don't know the details if the 9000 but on most cars the metal pipes of the heater matrix poke through the bulkhead into the engine bay and you take the hose from there.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
I'm fairly certain that on the 9000 you join in the pipes in the engine bay so you should just be able to replace the single hose, this of course might depend on engine and model year. If not just get a second hand pipe, cut to fit and join as sgould suggested.

Mark B

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2013, 10:01:27 PM »
Ben,

the two hoses come through the bulkhead from the heater side by side.  The one on the left (passenger) side goes to the left hand side of the cylinder head, and is easy to see.  This hose is tapered, the right angled end end fitting on to the cylinder head is quite large.  I think it's 3/4" or even 7/8" at the end, quickly tapering down to 5/8" (I think.  Standard heater hoses used to be 1/2" (ID) but Saab used larger hoses to get more flow through the heater and hence more heat out).  The hose on the right goes to somewhere near the thermostat housing below the throttle body and is not tapered, as far as I can see.

So I'm guessing that it's the left hand hose that has split, at the right angled end.  This is because it's the hottest part and it suffers from the engine movement as you open and close the throttle.  If this is the case, I'm not sure where you would get a correctly sized hose with the bend in it, other than buying a replacement hose and then cutting it in the straight section and joining it, but is that worth it to save the effort of replacing it fully.

If you don't want to do that, contact Spectrum Hose in High Wycombe, Unit 5, Desborough Industrial Park, Desborough Park Rd, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire HP12 3BG, United Kingdom +44 1494 524332, as they stock all sort of sizes as well as plastic joining pieces etc.

Contact me at the usual e-mail address if you need more.

Mark