Author Topic: 2.8 v6 XWD economy  (Read 10134 times)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
Re: 2.8 v6 XWD economy
« Reply #15 on: 17 September 2016, 08:01:31 PM »
One I've gone for is a 4wd diesel. Actually very slightly quicker than a vRS Octavia. Anyone know what it is?

Seat?

Didn't see this post initially. Yes, Seat Leon X-Perience (184 DSG).

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 September 2016, 11:36:25 AM »
Welcome to the dark side, Kev. Car magazine did a long term test and really liked it - http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/seat/seat-leon-x-perience-2015-review/
but when this Leon range was first launched, in their preview they described it as "The one we’d avoid like the plague - X-Perience arguably a bit pointless". Changed their tune somewhat when they actually drove it.

Yes, that's the diesel engine in the vRS. You'll get a few more mpg than I do from the petrol engine. You probably know the Leon and Octavia are roughly in the same market, but Seat don't put the Skoda 220 bhp engine in any of theirs; after this 185 diesel, they jump to a petrol 280 in the Leon Cupra - but the slightly bigger Octavia only gets a 230bhp, and the rumour is that it'll be dropped at the next facelift, leaving my petrol vRS as ther most powerful. It's understood that any more power in the Octavia would seriously undemine sale of the Superb - which doesn't have a Seat equivalent. All about marketing and sales, and not clashing with other parts of the Volkswagen empire.

(This is getting dangerously close to the "what make to defect to" thread. Meanwhile, over on "Saabs on film"...)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 September 2016, 02:41:57 PM »
Welcome to the dark side, Kev. Car magazine did a long term test and really liked it - http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/seat/seat-leon-x-perience-2015-review/
but when this Leon range was first launched, in their preview they described it as "The one we’d avoid like the plague - X-Perience arguably a bit pointless". Changed their tune somewhat when they actually drove it.

(This is getting dangerously close to the "what make to defect to" thread. Meanwhile, over on "Saabs on film"...)

Thanks for the link - interesting read. For me it was as close to the best compromise I was going to get. Wanted something smaller than my old Merc, not too flash (ruled out Focus ST Diesel for that), but fairly quick and economical. 4WD is a bonus too. Think they look good in the flesh too IMHO.

I'll post on that other thread with my thoughts once I've got it.  :)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #18 on: 18 September 2016, 07:34:04 PM »
Today I went to the Thornfalcon meeting in Somerset.  I took the Carlsson for a change. Filled up at Tesco last night and reset the counters.  Drove home, drove to the field near Taunton, drove home. The last bit was across country from Newbury because the M4 had a tailback.

Total miles 346.8
Average fuel consumption 34.4 mpg.    Settled on 34.8 between Newbury and Thame, but dropped back a bit going round the back of Aylesbury.

Not bad for a 2.8 V6 turbo XWD automatic... :D
« Last Edit: 18 September 2016, 07:58:06 PM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 September 2016, 08:18:09 PM »
That's impressive economy but how were you driving? Was this careful rather than heavy footed?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 September 2016, 08:34:44 PM »
I wasn't in a hurry, so I went with the flow.  No screaming overtaking on the back roads and generally keeping to the speed limit, but that was due to traffic.  On the way back the M4 was doing 65 mph generally.  Just kept up with every one in a relaxed sort of way.

Traffic was generally clear on the way down.  I averaged 63 mph door to door and the dash showed 33.6 mpg.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 September 2016, 10:01:17 PM »
That's very impressive, we just spent a couple of days in Wiltshire and travelled about 330 miles in total over the weekend, the 2.0T auto averaged 34 according to the trip computer but we did press on a bit at times.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 September 2016, 10:44:31 AM »
I might not be getting this car after all this - the dealer are doing their best to talk themselves out of a sale.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 September 2016, 10:52:21 AM »
New car, or used?  If new, try http://www.carwow.co.uk

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 September 2016, 03:49:36 PM »
Nearly new. I have cancelled the purchase. Was spoke to like a complete Mong so they've lost the business.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 September 2016, 06:08:17 PM »
Probably a good move.  A dealer that patronises the customer in the public part of the business, makes you wonder what they do in the service part which is hidden from view!  :o :o :o

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 September 2016, 07:23:32 PM »
Spot on Will - that's what I said to them when cancelling.

The 9-3V6 XWD I started the thread about has sold - that didn't take long at all. Must have been as nice as it looked!