Author Topic: Brake pad issue  (Read 3860 times)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
Brake pad issue
« on: 22 May 2017, 02:05:12 PM »
Picked up my new (to me) 9-5 Aero this morning.

The brakes feel dangerous when you really need them - seller told me that the front disks and pads have just been done (I believe them as there's loads of tread on the pads and the disks do look new).

However there is a vibration when braking anything other than very gradually.

Looked at the brakes - left side looks okay, but the right side - this pad doesn't look to be fitted properly:

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Brake pad issue
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2017, 06:51:37 PM »
What makes you say that? the bevelled edge is quite normal on the pads for the 9-5. It is very possible that the brakes have not been bedded in yet and they will be poor when brand new although I can't explain away the vibration.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2017, 10:54:30 AM »
I'm no mechanic - I thought they should be touching across the entire surface...

Anyway, mechanic is due here shortly to take a look to ensure it's safe. Had new disks and pads fitted all round on my 9-3 when I bought that and had no vibration problems at all. They do seem a little better after approx 80 miles, though doesn't seem right to me.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2017, 11:33:42 AM »
What makes you say that? the bevelled edge is quite normal on the pads for the 9-5. It is very possible that the brakes have not been bedded in yet and they will be poor when brand new although I can't explain away the vibration.

Mechanic has straight away agreed with what you said and has taken the car away anyway to check the brakes re the vibration. It's 3 miles to his workshop so he'll definitely feel what I'm describing.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2017, 05:09:52 PM »
The Mintex pads on the Hirsch brakes on my 9-5 are chamfered. The Ferodo I fitted before that weren't.

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2017, 06:18:02 PM »
One of the rear disks is warped, so not the front at all! Getting the rear disks and pads replaced tomorrow.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2017, 07:52:39 AM »
 I very much doubt a rear disc has warped- the most common cause of vibration that people say is a warped disc is uneven infusion of pad compound into the disc surface. Typically this happens when you've done some hard driving and then rested with your foot on the brake for too long. However it seems odd that a single rear disc has suffered this as they rarely get hot. I'd be thinking that it may be due to a sticking caliper

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2017, 07:36:06 PM »
Very often warped is used as a synonym for unevenly worn or badly ridged.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2017, 04:23:42 PM »
The rear disks and pads have been replaced - problem has gone away.  8) Along with many pennies.  :'( :'(