Author Topic: Mirror glass - exterior mirror  (Read 3590 times)

welshwizard

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
Mirror glass - exterior mirror
« on: 07 July 2022, 12:02:26 PM »
Guess it's the warm air we've had recently but it would appear the adhesive holding the glass to the mechanism is losing it's grip on the glass itself....  means the glass and the view vibrate while moving at speed.

Anyone else had this?  What was the fix?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Mirror glass - exterior mirror
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2022, 04:23:28 PM »
I have glued it back on with Gorilla Glue.  Not too thick, you don't want to insulate the glass from the heater.   I don't think it's the hot weather that's debonding the glass, well not entirely, it's also the fact that the old glue can degrade with age and water ingress.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2022, 05:54:50 PM »
I had this the other day, some no more nails double sided mounting tape fixed it.

welshwizard

• Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2022, 09:18:46 AM »
Bored at work yesterday so checked youtube clips on how to replace mirror glass.  It is a common problem, and probably age-related too, will get double sided tape tomorrow or next week.  But given the fact the NG is less numerous than the older 9-3 and 9-5 (unless you count all the 2010-2012 models, including 9-5 estate which had bigger mirrors than 2003-2009) potentially breaking the glass during the fix is a scary proposition....

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2022, 11:15:11 AM »
I don't know how the NG 9-5 mirror is fixed, but if it's similar to the older cars, then avoid pressing on the edges.  The best way to do that is to use a sucker from a screen mount for a phone or satnav.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

welshwizard

• Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2023, 10:00:26 AM »
Update.  Actually pressed the glass against the backing and it has since held firm...

Why revisit this?

Well! last week reversing our Golf I usually adjust both sides downwards to avoid hitting the kerb on our road.  Obviously overdid it and the glass just popped out.  Glass was chipped.  VW wanted £80+ for a replacement.  Autodoc £12 + £12 for p+p (horse and gilded carriage?). Anyway it came from Berlin (meaning that a driver's side mirror could be wrong side) over a few days and dropped on our doorstep late by EVRi  >:(

New glass fitted yesterday  :thumbsup:

This morning, passenger side glass popped out. ???  Thankfully not chipped.