Author Topic: Remote locking  (Read 3455 times)

Petemate

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
Remote locking
« on: 07 August 2019, 08:51:59 PM »
A little phenomenon today. Son borrowed the car for a trip to Cowley, and when he came home at around evening meal time, he came in and said he couldn't lock the car. I popped out and sure enough the remote wasn't working. So I grabbed the spare keys, and the fob on them also wouldn't work. So after a bit of head scratching, I decided to disconnect the battery after our dinner to 'reset' the electrics, and left it off while we watched the Chase. Upon reconnecting the neg terminal, voila! System working as it should. Any ideas? Don't fancy my OH getting caught while out on her own, and my confidence in the car has now taken a noticeable dive.

aerojon

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Remote locking
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2019, 11:33:51 PM »
did you not just put the fobs in the ism first for 5secs each to resync,,

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2019, 09:55:59 AM »
did you not just put the fobs in the ism first for 5secs each to resync,,

I did do that after the period of disconnection. Everything is working as it should, but I was more concerned by the failure of the locking system when it happened. I didn't try sync before disconnecting the battery. A mystery which I don't want repeated when OH is on her own!

Since sorting it, I have successfully locked and unlocked the car many times. Fingers crossed, but if it happens again I will then try sync of the fobs. Could it be advance warnng of problems with the CIM?

aerojon

• Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2019, 07:12:38 PM »
No,the ism..

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2019, 09:24:59 AM »
Synchronising the key after a battery replacement in the fob is just a case of putting it into the ignition switch hole and waiting for the steering lock to release.  There’s no other way to do it.  You do this after the battery is replaced. There’s no way to do it before replacing the battery.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2019, 09:31:01 AM »
Synchronising the key after a battery replacement in the fob is just a case of putting it into the ignition switch hole and waiting for the steering lock to release.  There’s no other way to do it.  You do this after the battery is replaced. There’s no way to do it before replacing the battery.

Thanks Will. In case my OH gets caught on a shopping trip (I've talked her through getting into the car from the left door etc) I have set the locking system for doors only to avoid the alarm going off if any of us have to unlock it manually. For now, it seems to be behaving itself regarding the remote locking/unlocking. It is still a mystery as to why it stopped working.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2019, 09:38:12 AM »
How have you set the alarm to “doors only”?  Whenever I have done this, it reverts to normal next time you open the car. So 8 would have to set the doors only option each time you leave the car.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2019, 10:40:53 AM »
How have you set the alarm to “doors only”?  Whenever I have done this, it reverts to normal next time you open the car. So 8 would have to set the doors only option each time you leave the car.

Doh. I’ve just checked and of course you’re right. (a little learning is a dangerous thing lol )

aerojon

• Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2019, 07:23:10 PM »
Where the fob is inserted there is a button if that stays down it's telling the car there is a fob still in the switch..
had this happen to me,steering lock wouldn't engage & doors wouldn't lock..

check this is popping up & not sticking down..

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2019, 09:44:36 AM »
Where the fob is inserted there is a button if that stays down it's telling the car there is a fob still in the switch..
had this happen to me,steering lock wouldn't engage & doors wouldn't lock..

check this is popping up & not sticking down..

Thanks! The problem was merely that either fob would not lock the car. Of course after my lad arrived home and reported the issue, I got hold of the spare keys and the problem was the same. I then ensured that the car started OK etc with both keys. Still the problem existed, so then I went down the battery disconnect route and after our evening meal I returned to the car to find everything working as it should. No problems since. Still a total mystery.

Many thanks for all the inputs!

Pete

aerojon

• Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2019, 04:44:09 PM »
don't rule out the ism,it's possible by the time you did what you did the button had popped back up..

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2019, 10:56:02 AM »
don't rule out the ism,it's possible by the time you did what you did the button had popped back up..

Cheers Aerojohn. Having given the car lots of time since the event, I'm takng it that the most probable culprit was that button. I gave the area a jolly good clean and vac, so fingers crossed for now.

smurkenstein

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2019, 06:57:15 PM »
seems like a bit of a design flaw having the ignition lock by the cup holder - plenty of opportunity to spill coffee and coke into the switch.