Author Topic: PARKING TICKET CLIP  (Read 7229 times)

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
PARKING TICKET CLIP
« on: 03 May 2014, 12:39:18 PM »
Has anyone ever managed to source a new parking ticket clip? Having just broken mine I put out a request to all participating dealers on Car Parts Connexions' and the one reply I have had so far said that the current part number is for US cars only - which it isn't according to my copy of the EPC.

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • Life is to short to drive slowly
    • View Profile
Re: PARKING TICKET CLIP
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2014, 08:38:26 PM »
A lot of modern Volvo's have one so it might be worth popping into a dealer or maybe a scrappy?

What holds it in?

Steve

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 30
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2014, 09:47:51 AM »
Weird! Just broke mine too! Actually miss it, being the clever thing it is. And yes, what holds it in? Don't tell me the windscreen has to come out....

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2014, 10:46:19 AM »
The clip slides into a pair of grooves on the pillar trim.

I've got a clip each side now :D

Useful for the continental motorway stuff and parking clocks.  When I go to Europe now, I stick all the motorway vignettes onto a thin plastic sheet and put it in the clip.  If you put them all in the windscreen, it blocks the view!
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2014, 12:52:28 PM »
Useful for the continental motorway stuff and parking clocks.  When I go to Europe now, I stick all the motorway vignettes onto a thin plastic sheet and put it in the clip.  If you put them all in the windscreen, it blocks the view!
Will, you could fall foul of the law, at least here in Austria. Firstly, there are rules about where the vignettes must be placed in the windscreen. Two locations that I can remember are top centre (I have mine behind the rear view mirror), and top left (offside here). Secondly, they MUST be physically attached to the screen. The reason for that is to stop you switching them between cars - they are only valid for one vehicle. Once applied, they are self-destructing if any attempt is made to remove them. There is a real risk you could be fined if it's stuck on a plastic sheet or not in one of the approved places. Mind you, ours has only been checked once in over 4 years - they have occasional checks on exit slip roads to make sure they have you bang to rights!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2014, 03:30:15 PM »
I know that really!! ;)  But after a trip to Hungary the first time, we ended up with Austrian, Hungarian, Czech and Swiss vignettes in addition to the UK tax disc.  It was getting quite crowded when we attached the French autoroute telepeage thing. Plus the parkschein clock!!

When we went into Switzerland once, the border control people sold the vignette.  The guy insisted on sticking it on himself.  And he reached in and stuck it where it was half obscured by the black windscreen edging of the car I had then….
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2014, 04:15:17 PM »
I know that really!! ;)  But after a trip to Hungary the first time, we ended up with Austrian, Hungarian, Czech and Swiss vignettes in addition to the UK tax disc.  It was getting quite crowded when we attached the French autoroute telepeage thing. Plus the parkschein clock!!
I can understand why you did it, but thought I'd mention it just in case you weren't aware as once you're stopped for vignette inspection, if it's in the wrong place you could end up getting the (expensive) book thrown at you!  :o

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2014, 02:21:23 PM »
Got a second hand clip from Parts - ASAP who are part of 'Simply Saab' in Bristol.
First class service, very reasonable price and very helpful staff. Well worth trying them if you need a spare part.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2014, 02:55:30 PM »
OK now I have the new ticket clip I have looked at the instructions in the WIS for removing the 'A' pillar trim which contains frightening warnings - "Take care not to damage or loosen the energy absorbers. Damaged or loose energy absorbers must not be refitted. If the occasion  should arise, the entire headlining must be changed. Damaged energy absorbers may impair head protection in case of a  collision".

Or is this just to frighten you into getting a dealer to do the job?

It also says remove the door weatherseal from the 'A' pillar and just pull the trim off.  Remove is a word which to me covers a wide range of operations ranging from simply pulling off to attacking it with a large screwdriver. I have tried the pulling off method to no avail!

Anyone ever replaced the ticket clip and can offer any advice?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2014, 05:27:40 PM »
I have replaced one or two!!  And I have had the A pillar cover off on my 9-5 quite a few times....

The rubber seal around the door opening does "just pull off".  The A pillar trim has spring clips.  You can just lever/pull it off.  There is nothing much behind it on the 9-5.  No need to touch the headlining. 

The biggest problem I had was that the man who fitted the new windscreen got too much glue on it and stuck the trim to the car. :(

The top of the A pillar trim is retained by a plastic strap, so it has limited movement.  The strap fixing will slide out if you need to look at the whole thing.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2014, 05:44:32 PM »
Here's a couple of pictures.  One shows the clip you are levering out and the other shows (I think!) the slot for the clip.  You can also see the damage caused when i cut it off the windscreen glue.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2014, 06:07:01 PM »

Or is this just to frighten you into getting a dealer to do the job?

It's to stop gorillas from using a pry bar to remove it and hammering it back into place.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2014, 07:17:44 PM »
Thanks Will & Audax,

I will have another go at the weekend.

And I won't be wearing my gorilla suit either..........!

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 30
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2014, 10:33:37 AM »
Nice! Wondering if the 9-3 would take the clip too now? Hope so...

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2014, 10:57:35 AM »
One further thought on removing the A pillar trim.  It's tucked in at the bottom.  So release the top first.  Then work down.  The short strap at the top will just allow enough movement.  It will also just allow enough movement to pull the bottom end out of the hole.

But releasing the strap by sliding the end out makes it easier.  Also levering out the speaker grill will help too.