Author Topic: ROOF RAIL CORROSION  (Read 2702 times)

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
ROOF RAIL CORROSION
« on: 15 August 2014, 02:11:37 PM »
I don't know why but there a little bit of corrosion on the front of drivers side roof rail on my estate, which appears to be getting worse.   Perhaps it's contagious and has spread from the door mirror housings!

Has anyone found a good paint match for touching up the roof rails?

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Re: ROOF RAIL CORROSION
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2014, 02:19:55 PM »
I think it's going to be difficult- they're not protected in the same way as regular paintwork so suffer a lot from weathering. I think it's a different paint process too as it has to be tough to cope with clamps etc being fitted.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2014, 03:34:39 PM »
It's possibly powder coated, I know that the roof rails on my MY2000 Astra estate that I use for work have no corrosion on at all, neither does it have any missing pixels in the clock/radio display!

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • Life is to short to drive slowly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2014, 05:20:24 PM »
I have a small area of corrosion on my 2004 Estate as well.

I have come to the conclusion that when I cannot put up with it anymore the easiest option is probably to find a replacement set and just unbolt are refit.

There are often sets on the bay so when I can find a set at a reasonable price locally I will probably go that route.

Getting them painted professionally will probably cost a lot but having a set polished like some of the Dame Edna's had would look good and they they would either need lacquer applying or polishing them on a regular basis?

Steve

steventon95

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 7
  • 9-5 Aero Estate and a 9-5 Saloon (both ancient)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2014, 07:59:16 AM »
The roof railbrackets and the mirror brackets are a right PITA on Saabs. I think they are probably alloy castings and a a bit prone to bubbly corrosion. My preference is to clean 'em up and a quick coat of black etch primer. It matches pretty well.