Author Topic: Saab 9-3 diesel 2010, electrics meltdown PLS HELP  (Read 4128 times)

Wonderwoman

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Saab 9-3 diesel 2010, electrics meltdown PLS HELP
« on: 14 June 2018, 04:29:26 PM »
 :(Hi
 Hoping someone can help me. Monday i bought my first saab. No problem until today. I went to view a house and parked up outside blocking off the neighbours driveway as no one was in and I was only going to be 10 mins. When I went to leave the car felt like it was choking and failed to start. Then no electrics came on. Then afer a few attempts got a list of warnings on SID traction control failure, stability  control failure/ antilock brake malfunct etc. The car had to be left and a note posted to the owner of the blocked driveway  :-\

Anyway, I had noticed when I start the car it seemed to struggle a lil to start but when driving it was fine. The drivers window also playing up seperatey and today when this happened both front windows started to go up and down themselves. Sometimes when I turned the key nothing happened at all then other times every light was coming on or random ones. For example the (P) light to indicate handbrake was on, didnt always come on even though it was physically on.

It just seemed one big electrical meltdown and I had to abandon the car and walk home.

Any advice? Battery/alternator? Both? Common issue? Cost?  :'(

Thanks for any help in advance

Caroline

aerojon

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Saab 9-3 diesel 2010, electrics meltdown PLS HELP
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2018, 06:11:16 PM »
either battery or both alt and battery..Alternator is a weak point on the diesels..when the battery is dying or dead all the warning appear..DON'T jump start it with a failed/failing battery you could end up frying the delicate electronics with a spike/surge..

Wonderwoman

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2018, 08:44:00 PM »
****** UPDATE *******

Just been back to the car to try and jump start and it wouldnt start. The dash was coming on as it had earlier and dials all flickering and engine light is amber. Had to leave it again and the doors wouldnt lock. Could this be something as simple as the battery?

Thanks

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2018, 09:39:49 PM »
Odd electrics on a 9-3 are often down to a dead battery.  In a modern car the battery has other functions than providing electrical power. It also acts in some way to smooth the current for the electronics.

But the battery may have died because the alternator isn't charging.  I wouldn't go looking too far for any other fault until you have checked those and found a fault or ruled them out.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Wonderwoman

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2018, 01:58:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies although i didnt get them until after i tried to jump it 😬 anyway i will replace the battery tomorrow and start again.

Can anyone recommend a good battery? Rough cost? Is it simple enough to install? Not extra attachmemts or anything in the saab? Lol im asking because ive had to abandon it and cant check 😢

Also how will i tell if thats it sorted or not? If it ends up the alternator will i again have to get another battery or should the new one recharge with a new alternator?

Thanks for the help 😊
« Last Edit: 15 June 2018, 02:01:15 AM by Wonderwoman »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2018, 02:05:15 PM »
The battery is a standard "096" type.

If you need it in a hurry, then Halfords, costco, or local spares shop can offer prices.

If you can wait a day or two.  www.tayna.co.uk
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2018, 02:09:02 PM »
If the new battery does not start the car, you have a different issue.

If it does start the car, then you need to check the charging.  A cheap multimeter will measure the voltage between the two terminals of the battery while the engine is running, and when switched off.

A battery on its own should show around 12 volts.  When the engine is running the voltage should rise to nearly 14 volts.   My 9-5 shows 13.8 volts with the engine running.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2018, 12:13:27 PM »

If you can find someone with a Halfords Trade card willing to help you, you can make quite a saving.

I would suggest choosing an "extra-heavy duty" battery if you can afford it; I changed the battery on my diesel 93 just before I sold it, and chose the most extra-heavy duty beast I could find,
While diesels usually need a more powerful battery,  I dont see the harm in fitting an extra-heavy duty battery for a diesel into a petrol engined car - It's what I've always done and has never given problems.

Just make sure the + & - terminals on the replacement battery are in the correct place and are of the same/correct type.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2018, 12:15:35 PM by Max Headroom »

Wonderwoman

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2018, 11:28:58 PM »
So I had the battery changed and everything was fine. But now 2/3 weeks on the car feels like its struggling to start as it did before the battery change. Does this indicate thats its possibly the alternator and not the battery afterall? Or is there any other issue? If it was the starter motor surely a after the battery change it would have made no difference? However inititally it was starting perfect but like I said now, its taking a few seconds longer and feels like it possibly may not start.

Cheers in advance for your help
Caroline

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2018, 12:22:29 AM »
You need to get a multi-meter and check the charging voltage.  If it's not around 14 volts, then you are looking at an alternator fault. 

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2018, 07:46:22 AM »
When the car is driving, is there a battery light illuminated continuously?