Author Topic: Long time coming...  (Read 1322 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Long time coming...
« on: 25 May 2023, 10:01:08 AM »
I've not been here much recently, I dropped by and saw the post about where the forum can go in the future, but it brings me to another thought....

My 2007 9-3 Aero sport wagon is now 16, it has been a total joy to own, it's currently sitting on 133k, I got it 7 years ago at 82k, since then it's really not had anything "bad" go wrong with it. In that time I replaced all of the suspension, a couple of sets of tyres, back box at the recent MOT, it did need a new power steering pump and replacement vacuum pump, new air-con condenser, battery, drivers door lock but none of those were expensive or particularly bothersome as the car always kept rolling... I had only ever purchased it thinking I'd keep it 4-5 years, but it's been a very good car.

Anyway, it's getting a little bit worn around the edges now, I think it needs relegating to be a second car in the next year or two, I don't know how long I'll keep it but it's an expensive thing to tax each year (over £600 now!)...

So, what do I replace it with? I had considered a Subaru, but they seem to have given up making fast and interesting cars in recent years... maybe a Skoda Kodiak? none of BMW/Audi/VW appeal much to me, I had considered a Alfa Giulia but they only do a saloon. Citroen no longer make anything sufficiently weird for my tastes, I had considered a Mondeo, but Ford stopped making them... perhaps a Focus? Volvo might be a safe bet, but they just feel too appliance like and a bit bland.

Does anyone have any suggestions that won't break the bank with stupid repairs? and that doesn't feel like I'm buying a kitchen appliance...

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Re: Long time coming...
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2023, 08:11:13 AM »
I'm in a similar dilemma, well maybe in a few years. What's a sufficiently "different" replacement for a 9-5 Aero estate? I really do not want to go down the diseasal route. In today's market that would ideally be an XFR but that's out of it price wise so maybe a Skoda Superb or a V70 (if I can find a petrol one!!)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2023, 09:03:29 AM »
I’m hoping that my 9-5 will see me out.  I’m getting old.  But I have stopped driving at night on unlit roads. Quite soon I expect I will stop driving at night.  The other issue is insurance.  Companies have put a “standard” 10% increase on the premium because I reached 75 years old.  No doubt there will be more as I age further. Having a modified car doesn’t help either.

If I have to change, it will be something boring.  Something like a Kia C’eed or its Hyundai equivalent.  Nothing electric. Far too stressful for my driving needs.  My son has just bought a nearly new Hyundai i20. A 1 litre engine and a top speed of 117 mph, over 40 mpg on a petrol. That sort of thing might suit.  Then use SWMBOs Carlsson for longer trips. 
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2023, 10:21:36 AM »
I idly look at the Volvo V90, though seeing the list of model variants does make one yearn for the relative simplicity of Saab specs.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2023, 09:59:04 PM »
I have a few 9-5's to keep me going, recently moved to Dame Edna land (really don't like the front) and the NG are dropping in price, if you can live with higher mileage

As an alternate BMW & Audi are possibilities, and I'm perhaps even mature enough for a Merc  :)
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2023, 10:31:57 PM »
When I turned 70 at the end of 2021, and then came to renew my daughter's (30, teacher, 10+ years NCD) car insurance last autumn, in the past having me as a named driver brought a reduction in premium. Not this time, it cost around 15% more with me on the policy.  Playing around with my age across comparison sites etc confirmed I was perceived as a risk. Notwithstanding many years' IAM membership and recently voluntarily retested.

Having moved from my Hirsched 9-5 2.3t to a Skoda Octavia vRS, 220bhp, for four years, then for a further two years to a Skoda Karoq, 150 bhp, I eventually found the Karoq so boring I've recently gone for an Audi A4 Avant (estate). Four years old, 190 bhp, it reminds me of the 9-5 in many ways but is so much more modern. It's enjoyable to drive, good to look at (in my eyes), very comfortable on 200 mile trips, reasonably economical for a 2 litre petrol engine (50% better than my Saab was) and very little insurance penalty.  While we're still capable, just being past the biblical three score and ten doesn't mean having to surrender.

welshwizard

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2023, 12:41:35 PM »
I'm in the situation where one small problem on my NG couldn't be resolved.  Bad enough I have a blowing exhaust for which there are no replacements, only option is fabrication prior to the next MOT...

When the time comes to give up on my NG..  options I've looked at:

Audi A6 45 or 55TFSI - The 45 still has plenty of poke but I still need to scratch that V6 itch.
May A4 or S4 with same engine...
340i or 540i - BMWs should only come with silky smooth 6 cylinder petrols.
Lexus GS or ES

Then there is the mid-life crisis option:
Mustang 5.0 or Taycan

I will not succumb to an SUV, and probably by the time I reach retirement we'll go down to 1 car which will be the electric Golf equivalent (when VW ditches the Golf 8 petrol variant)...

Top priority is comfort....I can sit for hours and hours in my NG, no fatigue or pain. Waging on Sea in Bavaria to Dunkirque with only stops for toilets - or 1100 miles in one day in my old 9-3SS Aero was no problem.....